Okay.

I have an AWESOME new product idea!!!

Problem is I need Steel Picatinny rail in bulk.

Anyone know where to get it for around $5.00 per inch of usable picatinny?

I need the cheapest leads for bulk lengths somewhere around $5.00 per inch with slots & un-drilled to keep the cost down for the consumer.

PS.

There's nothing that I'd like to do more, than elaborate, however, I'd like to make a run or two before the idea gets taken & mass produced by a competitor.

Go to brownells and to a keyword search for "moulds" and "picatinny". It's more expensive than you want, but it's the closest I can think of for your needs.

Yeah, I've seen that, but it looks like 2" at least are not usable & the price is steep.

Also, I could use it that thick, but would rather thinner.

Fucked up thing is, I may just be better off butchering utg mounts & using only the picatinny section, or going with the much cheaper aluminium & brazing as opposed to welding.

This is the first time I've ever come across anything aluminium that is exponentially cheaper than steel. I'm truly confused on that one. :unsure:

Steel is gonna cost you;

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=614366

Aluminum version of the above;

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=997382

Another thin and inexpensive aluminum rail;

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=481537

You could also ask some of the forum members with CNC equipment how much it would cost to mill you up some. Good luck! I'm curious to see what you've got planned.

• Like 1

You might want to also check E TAC (GoGun) and see if he can sell you some by the foot or possibly his scrap. As far as I know he mills his own and has all the CNC equipment to do it right. I feel your pain Pauly, steels very expensive and hard to find. In the back of my mind I always wanted a small section to weld on one of my guns for a Docter mount, in the end I just made a aluminum base plate for the dovetail slot.

http://www.gogun.us/

• Like 1

I've been thinking about this too. It would be far better to find someone to mill them. I had a friend make wooden and plastic rails on a table saw, if only it were that easy. Hmm, maybe I need to take the machineing course at the community college again, :angel:

Edited by BpS12
  • Like 1

You might want to also check E TAC (GoGun) and see if he can sell you some by the foot or possibly his scrap. As far as I know he mills his own and has all the CNC equipment to do it right. I feel your pain Pauly, steels very expensive and hard to find. In the back of my mind I always wanted a small section to weld on one of my guns for a Docter mount, in the end I just made a aluminum base plate for the dovetail slot.

If you want to have less money and never receive your product, this is the right way to go.

• Like 1

If you want to have less money and never receive your product, this is the right way to go.

No comment, other than they will eventually be a competitor, when I get my class 7 FFL, so, using them as my supplier would be a bad idea business wise.

I think I may need to find a small mill, so I can work with un-notched extrusion so as to keep it affordable to everybody.

ETA;

PM sent!

If its steel it wont be extruded, but milled.

• Like 1

I think I may need to find a small mill, so I can work with un-notched extrusion so as to keep it affordable to everybody.

ETA;

PM sent!

If its steel it wont be extruded, but milled.

Correct, but my favorite of my welding outfits is my Victor J-100 Oxy-Gas, so I could get the thicker aluminium, mill it to perfect shape for a perfect surface match, then braze it to steel. Then drill a few small holes & fill them with filler & it's like bolts increasing the strength further.

ETA, about $20.00 gets me 12" of un-notched extrusion. :)

Edited by Paulyski

FYI-another source for aluminum extruded rail blank or might farm some stuff for you- http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=rail+blank

BTW-whats the deal with Jammer's business? I'm assuming things have gone bad or is this an isolated deal? FWIW, there was a time he was using Tromix parts on his builds a few years back before he bought his CNC stuff and started making his own. I don't think there's a problem unless you're trying to "one up" someone using parts they manufactured. Lone Star Arms uses lots of other peoples stuff and does a damn fine job of it, yet I have still to hear one negative thing about his builds or his business ethics. Don't ever let yourself be put in a box Pauly, explore all your options then decide what works best for ya ( ;

FYI-another source for aluminum extruded rail blank or might farm some stuff for you- http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=rail+blank

I don't think there's a problem unless you're trying to "one up" someone using parts they manufactured. Lone Star Arms uses lots of other peoples stuff and does a damn fine job of it, yet I have still to hear one negative thing about his builds or his business ethics. Don't ever let yourself be put in a box Pauly, explore all your options then decide what works best for ya ( ;

I luv ya' 6500!

Great source!

Just for that source when I land a small mill & get a run of these perfected & out, I'm gonna send you one for free! :super:

But the reason I don't want to depend on anybody else who services my market, is I plan on bringing the price of a great DIY build down.

I have a metal shop. I need a lathe, I need to get off my ass & make my curing oven, hot blue tank & anodizing station & then I'm branching to everywhere I can.

I have a crew of mechanics who flip wholesale cars & are quite mechanically inclined and will work as independent contractors, and we're all of very simple means.

We live cheap & own our cars outright, so low overhead.

I am fundamentally opposed to price fixing & that will surely piss people off, so rather than deal with hidden alliances that I'm unaware of & may bite me later, I go to distributors & fabricate from scratch as much as I can.

I firmly feel delivering the best product at the lowest possible price is the way to success, & I don't feel that one simple (although skilled) thing should cost 1/3 of the price of a new gun.

Being as we... The AK community, are cheap bastards by nature, I feel that's the best path.

I promised myself that everything I make will be fabricated or modified in the USA, so as to not contribute to the sell out of america.

The more money I keep in YOUR pocket, the better off we all are.

I will not undercut my sales teams when I release products to the public either, like has happened before, being as my goal is to develop processes that make products very durable, but quicker & very cost effective, so I can pass the savings onto the consumer.

The stores that sell my stuff & my direct customers will be my number one priority.

Hard work, bulk & low overhead will make up the difference.

I plan on selling this product, after the initial run through Max's & CSS's e-stores.

I haven't worked out the details, but they seem like the best two resellers at this time for me & one cannot focus on production & sales at the same time at first.

One's salesmen are their conduit to customers, so are a valuable asset.

There's a few backyards that I'll stay out of out of respect or friendship, but not many.

I don't intend on putting it all out there, just to lose it.

The only issue is buying a few tools & ad fees, then it's on.

Ad fees are first... Once ad fees are covered here....

The Saiga-12 world is going to change.

And the crowd shall roar! :super:

But I just can't get into any specifics quite yet.

First you PAY tribute, just like in the old country.

Edited by Paulyski