Thinking about getting a 10 mm

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are some Glock 20SF to Glock 17 Gen 4 comparison pics:             Conclusion: Glock 20SF is not really that much bigger (or heavier).

So, I just picked up a new Glock 20SF 10 mm. I had decided to keep my G17 because it's good to have a modern pistol shooting a cheap, common caliber, but after just reading about drop-in .40 cal conve

I like the 180 gr in the 10mm. I think that it is the best compromise for velocity vs weight.

Posted Images

Here's another question... Does anyone know of any .40 cal ammo that's cheap and loaded to > 400 ft. lbs.? That would be great for plinking and training with a G20.

Answering my own question: Blazer 165 gr FMJ claims 443 ft. lbs. Seems to be the best option, if their velocity claims are actually accurate.

EDIT: Remmy UMC 165 gr FMJ claims 485 ft. lbs.! It's a bit pricer tho.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

By the way, do you guys know of some online retailers that carry a good selection of "real" 10mm rounds. MidwayUSA is pretty good, but CTD's selection is total crap!

Swampfox Guns and Ammo...

+1... they have full power 10mm loads.

SpetsnazGRU - I have the lone wolf conversion 10 to 40 and I agree with you on the difference in power. The Winchester Silvertips feel like mid power 10mm rounds. I also shoot Double Tap's 200 grain lead rounds and those are sweet rounds. My favorite ammo so far has been the stuff from Swamp Fox... my friends and I make always grin when we go shooting... we start off with .40 rounds and then shoot the hot 10mm loads... kind of like switching between my saiga 7.62x39 to my friend's psl 7.62x54. It's badass!!!

I love the Lonewolf 10-40 barrel. I do not think that any Glock 10mm is "complete" without one!

It takes me back to the day we all shot .38 Special in our .357 Magnum revolvers! I am planning on loading all of my 1300 rounds of 10mm brass as combat loads, thanks to this barrel!

I now have 100 rds of DT 200 gr FMJs for woods protection, 100 rds of DT 180 gr Nosler HPs for personal defense and 100 rds of BVAC for plinking. Going out to practice some more this weekend.

What's concerning, is that there are lot of reports of batches of DT rounds under-performing (significantly lower velocities). I wish that I had a chrono of my own to test my stuff.

What was your reasoning behind going with the 200gr round for woods protection?

Good penetration. I am primarily worried about Black Bears here. Thick hide, bone and fat to shoot through... DT also sells a round with a 230 gr lead, "gas check" bullet, but as far as I understand, lead cast bullet are not kosher for Glock factory barrels. I might get an after-market ported 6" barrel some time in the future.

What was your reasoning behind going with the 200gr round for woods protection?

Good penetration. I am primarily worried about Black Bears here. Thick hide, bone and fat to shoot through... DT also sells a round with a 230 gr lead, "gas check" bullet, but as far as I understand, lead cast bullet are not kosher for Glock factory barrels. I might get an after-market ported 6" barrel some time in the future.

Good deal, either will work well enough. There's some 230gr bullets for reloading in 10mm, just don't remember where I saw them. When I do, I'll PM you.

I like the 180 gr in the 10mm. I think that it is the best compromise for velocity vs weight.

For two legged predators, I totally agree.

180gr is also my fave. SpetsnazGRU, believe it or not on four legged creatures you need more velocity then you do bullet weight. That 20gr that you get loses a good amount of velocity that you need to get through thick hide and bone.

for long range pistol shooting I like 155gr, but again when it comes down to it your not going to be carrying around different mags of different gr bullets and you especially won't be switching them when a black bear starts charging! 180gr is the best at covering your bases.

For two legged predators, I totally agree.

180gr is also my fave. SpetsnazGRU, believe it or not on four legged creatures you need more velocity then you do bullet weight. That 20gr that you get loses a good amount of velocity that you need to get through thick hide and bone.

for long range pistol shooting I like 155gr, but again when it comes down to it your not going to be carrying around different mags of different gr bullets and you especially won't be switching them when a black bear starts charging! 180gr is the best at covering your bases.

The only 180 gr FMJ load that DoubleTap sells is not very hot and is advertised as "match grade practice ammo".

Also, when it comes to their Nosler HP loads, DT seem to claim that 200 gr offers superior penetration:

"10mm 200gr. Nosler JHP 50rds. - For the hunter that needs deep penetration AND expansion, with this one you can't miss! Brand new bullet made for us by Nosler that really gives great controlled expansion and deep penetration"

"10mm 180gr Nosler JHP 50rds. - This is a load for personal defense as well as a good load for the woods where really deep penetration is not needed. Outstanding CCW load."

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

The only 180 gr FMJ load that DoubleTap sells is not very hot and is advertised as "match grade practice ammo".

Also, when it comes to their Nosler HP loads, DT seem to claim that 200 gr offers superior penetration:

"10mm 200gr. Nosler JHP 50rds. - For the hunter that needs deep penetration AND expansion, with this one you can't miss! Brand new bullet made for us by Nosler that really gives great controlled expansion and deep penetration"

"10mm 180gr Nosler JHP 50rds. - This is a load for personal defense as well as a good load for the woods where really deep penetration is not needed. Outstanding CCW load."

looking at there ballistics claim, that is one hot round!

Carry on....... :big_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

10 mm is a fun round to shoot, but it seems a little impractical because ammunition is so hard to find. i wish there were more semi automatic handguns chambered in magnum rounds, preferably .44 mag. lots of power, and ammo is very common. even walmart carries it.

10 mm is a fun round to shoot, but it seems a little impractical because ammunition is so hard to find....

I can find you more then you can afford. :rolleyes:

10 mm is a fun round to shoot, but it seems a little impractical because ammunition is so hard to find....

internet source right? you know, id really rather avoid putting credit card info on my computer

internet source right? you know, id really rather avoid putting credit card info on my computer

We have it here in Georgia as well. I will be to first to admit that it is not a common caliber, you will be unlikely to find it on sale at Wal-Mart, but there is plenty for those of us that prefer this caliber.

Besides, with my Lonewolf .40 S&W Barrel I practice with the cheaper ammo and save my 10mm for serious business.

• Like 1

man id be very happy if i knew of any stores that carried 10mm. small rounds are ok, but its really enjoyable to fire larger caliber handgun rounds. in all honesty, id prefer a glock 20 over my 30. but anyway, i totally agree that practicing with the smaller rounds is ideal. that was the reasoning that i used to convince myself to buy a glock 19. its easy to spend alot of money on ammunition, especially if you're going to the shooting range with the intent of practicing rather than only having fun. of course its fun regardless, but to actually become proficient with any firearm, you need to fire off alot of rounds.

I have four local sources (that I know of) for 10 mm ammo, but they only sell weak (.40 +P powered) FMJ loads like Rem, PMC, Blazer and BVAC, as well as Hornady (rather weak) and Win Silvertip (pretty good) defense loads. As far as not using credit cards for Internet shopping... man, I can't imagine being without it. Guns would be a very expensive hobby if I restricted myself to local shopping only, especially considering some jokers around here. They will try to sell you 1000 rds of Brown Bear 7.62x39 mm for $340 and charge factory 9 mm prices for Bulgarian 1950's surplus 7.62x25 mm. Sometimes, I just want to laugh in their faces.

yea, i know exactly what you mean, internet pricing is much more reasonable than alot of shops ive seen. actually, i think its fair to say that as a whole, you can get considerably better prices off internet sources. but that can potentially open yourself up to getting your credit card info stolen. i think it might be best to get a separate cash card that you have to put money on, and then use that to buy from internet sources.

You can always call to place your order. That what I do. That way your card# isn't floating around the web somewhere. Only drawback to that is you have to call during business hours.

Isn't one of the advantages of using a credit card is having fraud protection as part of the service? I mean, with a debit card, it comes right out of your bank account... With a credit card, you can always dispute the charges and I believe that they are pretty good about that stuff.

I don't use a card to buy any gun stuff. Most places are more then willing to pull aside and wait for a check or a money order. Do business with them enough and they start to really appreciate it more then a card (people make TONS of BS claims on cards). 10mm is making a slow come back, I've seen more ammo in more places then I have in the last 5 years.

Any comments on a EAA 10mm compact? Low round count, in good to great condition for $350 from my FFL. Anything special to look for? Good for a carry gun?

Thanks!

Brand new you can get one for $430.00. I'd still (especially with your taste in fine weaponry NOW GIVE ME YOUR MAC! LOL!) leave these alone. If your looking for a compact 10mm the Glock 29 can't be beat, if you absolutely HAVE to have a 1911 platform then check out the fusions http://www.fusionfirearms.com/menu/1911_kits.htm

Any comments on a EAA 10mm compact? Low round count, in good to great condition for $350 from my FFL. Anything special to look for? Good for a carry gun?

Thanks!

Brand new you can get one for $430.00. I'd still (especially with your taste in fine weaponry NOW GIVE ME YOUR MAC! LOL!) leave these alone. If your looking for a compact 10mm the Glock 29 can't be beat, if you absolutely HAVE to have a 1911 platform then check out the fusions http://www.fusionfirearms.com/menu/1911_kits.htm

I have the full-size EAA Witness 10mm and I think it is a great handgun; very accurate, good weight and feel. Only thing about the Witness, in 10mm atleast, the recoil and magazine springs are to weak for any loads hotter then the cheap bulk stuff. The problem is easily fixed with Wolff extra-power recoil and mag springs, I put the 22lbs recoil spring and the +10% extra power mag springs in and now it'll handle any load that I can feed it with ease.

BTW, the factory mag-spring is designed to compress into itself to give you a total of 15 rounds but the Wolff spring just stacks the coils like a normal spring and reduces the mag capacity to 12...but that is still 12+1 rounds of bear stopping 10mm :super:

I have been wanting to get an extended 6" 10mm and a 40S&W barrel for my Witness.

man, glock 20s are cool. my friend has one. when he showed it to me, i was in awe. the thing is huge compared to the other glocks i own

Buy a Desert Eagle and carry it daily for a while like I once did, everything else will suddently seem small and down right handy! :lolol:

I have the full-size EAA Witness 10mm and I think it is a great handgun; very accurate, good weight and feel. Only thing about the Witness, in 10mm atleast, the recoil and magazine springs are to weak for any loads hotter then the cheap bulk stuff. The problem is easily fixed with Wolff extra-power recoil and mag springs, I put the 22lbs recoil spring and the +10% extra power mag springs in and now it'll handle any load that I can feed it with ease.

BTW, the factory mag-spring is designed to compress into itself to give you a total of 15 rounds but the Wolff spring just stacks the coils like a normal spring and reduces the mag capacity to 12...but that is still 12+1 rounds of bear stopping 10mm :super:

I have been wanting to get an extended 6" 10mm and a 40S&W barrel for my Witness.

I meant after market anything wise he'll be in a better spot with a Glock.

man, glock 20s are cool. my friend has one. when he showed it to me, i was in awe. the thing is huge compared to the other glocks i own

Buy a Desert Eagle and carry it daily for a while like I once did, everything else will suddently seem small and down right handy! :lolol:

THAT.....IS.....AWESOME! Azrial, the Desert Eagle has long been on my list for purchase. When I do eventually end up with one, I'm gonna have to try and CCW that puppy just for the humor of it all! I'm guessing a shoulder holster was your friend?