Break in process??

Hey im new to this forum, somebody over at TFL told me to check out this forum for better info on saigas. Im getting a S12 for christmas and ofcourse i want to convert it. but my question is should i break in the gun first before i convert or should i just do the conversion then break in from there?? and also how many rounds would be considered a decent break in?? thanks in advance

JMF

Do yourself a favor and shoot it before you convert it, make sure you dont need to send it in for warranty service. shoot some buck then some cheap bird loads and make sure it'll cycle then convert it if you know you wont need to send it in. Once you convert it, your problems are yours alone. Then I think you should really do the break in once you have the internals that will be in your final gun, otherwise you're breaking in a hammer you wont use.

I think the generally accepted break in is 300+ rounds

Thanks for the replies. I was curious to that too, about having to break in a shotgun. I know most rifles it takes 80-120rd to break in the barrel but never heard about having to do it to a shotgun. but i read a few threads on here talking about breaking in the s12, so figured id ask anyways. So as in "breaking in" you guys are referring to making sure it cycles and feeds properly. check, got it

I do not get it since when do you have to break in a smooth bore shotgun? There is nothing to break in, no rifling so no break in... I do agree with cycling some rounds through to make sure that it functions properly, but this is not break in....

You're breaking in the action not the rifling. The friction created by firing smoothes the rough edges and wears some of the paint off typically resulting in a more reliable weapon

• Like 2

I do not get it since when do you have to break in a smooth bore shotgun? There is nothing to break in, no rifling so no break in... I do agree with cycling some rounds through to make sure that it functions properly, but this is not break in....

Most people refer to breaking in a Saiga 12 as getting rid of friction on contacting parts, to smooth things out, before jumping to the conclusion that it wont cycle weaker loads and needs repairs.

My buddy was going to send his in for warranty work a week after he got it because it wouldn't cycle bulk ammo reliably. We ran a few boxes of buckshot through it and it was good to go. Mine was pretty much the same way, but I did some polishing and what not just for the hell of it.

Most people refer to breaking in a Saiga 12 as getting rid of friction on contacting parts, to smooth things out, before jumping to the conclusion that it wont cycle weaker loads and needs repairs.

My buddy was going to send his in for warranty work a week after he got it because it wouldn't cycle bulk ammo reliably. We ran a few boxes of buckshot through it and it was good to go. Mine was pretty much the same way, but I did some polishing and what not just for the hell of it.

Roger that! I sent 3x25 round boxes of Winchester Supreme Double X magnum through mine first thing just for that purpose. I just happened to get an '08 with three highly visible gas ports. Glad I bought that V-Plug.

My opinion:

Clean the gas system and action to get and packing grease out before shooting. Gas system should be wiped with oil then dried. Lightly grease the rails that the bolt carrier rides and lightly oil the bolt lugs and trunnion (area the bolt lugs lock into). Then work the action back and forth many times to smooth things out, probably 100 cycles or so.

Wipe of the grease and oil leaving a light film to help lubricate the action.

Go out and shoot with normal shotgun shells (I use federal bulk shells from walmart).

Lets see....

200-300 rounds of buckshot =$XXX

vs.

set of hobby files and a pack of 400 grit sandpaper $XX

I'll stick to breaking mine in with the hobby files and sandpaper because it works every time if the weapon is getting enough gas.

.... and buy some bulk packs of Federal to blast through at the range :smoke:

High base break in is nonsensical.... it's your weapon, your time, and your money. Report back and tell us how well it runs off of low base ammo after that buckshot break-in. Federal Multi-purpose bulk pack is a good baseline testing ammo. If running some buckshot through it was all it took, how many business members do you think we would have here? There is no substitute for good old fashioned metalworking and gunsmithing.

I tried some enemic rounds on the two setting and drum did its job but jammed every shot. I know it needs broken in .....no problem .

Bolt didn't travel back enough.

I have some high brass I'm gonna start on #1 setting and go from there.

NOW.......Is high brass 2 3/4 ok on the two setting. Not 3 inch or magnum.

Deffinately take it out to shoot a bunch before you convert, so you can establish a baseline, You should break it in with a binch of low brass & a bit of high brass, & also, addressing friction areas on the rails help greatly. however brute force of working shit loose helps too.