AGP magazine spring rusts, cracks into peaces

Hi All!

I've purchased 5 AGP 10-round Saiga 12 magazines. Last time I've used them was July 2009. Well I had a chance to go shooting today and decided to give my S12 a ride. I loaded the mags at home and I noticed that one mag would only accept 9 rounds instead of 10. I opened it up thinking there must be a ton of dirt inside (form the vacation in 2009 when I shot the shit out of my S12 and NEVER cleaned the mags nor the gun) but instead the spring came out in 4 peaces. And the inside of the mag was BROWN from all the rust. LAME!

So I took the remaining 4 mags to the range and what do you know... I load another one and same thing happens. Spring broken. I've tested the another one and that one was fine. So now I have to test the rest and I'm possibly looking at buying 5 new spring (at $8 each :( ).

SO, my question: was I being stupid by not cleaning the inside of the magazines for 16+ months and just letting them sit there in the gun safe (the mags were NEVER exposed to water directly from what I can tell, but I did spend 2 weeks at a beach front house in '09 with the guns/mags with me, aka salt in the air possibly?) OR are AGP mags knows for bad springs?

Also, can I get replacement springs that are coated to protect from rust? I hear Surefire mag springs are coated...

The one AGP spring that I've had snap was in a mag with the run date of 04-2009 molded onto the right side. My AGP with the run date of 08-2009 molded onto the right side has had no spring issues.

Kevin sent me a new spring the day I called.

BUT A WORD OF CAUTION FOR THOSE WHO HAVE HAD A RUSTY SPRING SNAP...

Rust residue isn't the greatest lube...

It doesn't work like graphite.

I tune my AGPs to perfection & I'm rally surprised that one had 1 issue.

If rust residue isn't cleaned out of the AGP after the failure, it may slow down the mag & possibly fail to feed correctly.

I ran into this 1 time on mine that the spring shattered in.

It fed, but the near FTF robbed so much power from the cycle, that the round made it into breech, but the bolt didn't lock fully up over it & go into battery.

I cleaned the mag out & haven't had a single issue since.

Just a thought.

I just got 4 of these and thanks to your posts will take the springs out and wipe the springs down a rust preventive/lube.

I am surprised how easily a round can pop out of the AGP mags in comparison to the Russian 5 round or mags or a MD-20 drum. They have a longer bearing surface on the metal spring feed clip which keeps the shells more secure than the AGP ones do. It's my only complaint. they could be designed this way for better feeding, but the others with the longer clips feed just fine.

Maybe Mike would sell just the clips so I could retrofit my AGP mags

I just got 4 of these and thanks to your posts will take the springs out and wipe the springs down a rust preventive/lube.

I am surprised how easily a round can pop out of the AGP mags in comparison to the Russian 5 round or mags or a MD-20 drum. They have a longer bearing surface on the metal spring feed clip which keeps the shells more secure than the AGP ones do. It's my only complaint. they could be designed this way for better feeding, but the others with the longer clips feed just fine.

Maybe Mike would sell just the clips so I could retrofit my AGP mags

I noticed that on my Newer AGP that I bought as a package deal.

Something changed, because the older AGPs have longer lips.

Also, the new springs you got will not have the issue.

The other run was a manufacturing/heat treating issue.

Not a lack of chemical treatment.

Edited by Paulyski

The Gen 2 AGP mags in my "packaged deal" do what the guy in the video does with a drum with his finger.. to piss MD off, he flips the top round up and it pops out. Oh FYI my MD drum DOES NOT DO THAT!... SO I know he messed with his MD drum to make it look bad in his video.

Back on topic.. sorry.. This makes transporting a loaded mag and doing a mag change in the field a real problem with the top round flipping out VERY easily.

I an really NOT REAL HAPPY about this.. I would much rather have the old longer bearing surface spring/feed clips and have better round retention. I got the AGP mags because they had a metal clip and figured they were the same as the USSR and MD-20 clips. You know what they say about ASSume.

I will try to contact the mfg, to see if I can retrofit them. :(

Besides the clip and top round flipping out all the time, I like them. I took all 4 apart.. wiped the springs down with my magic rust&lube oil. I also cleaned out the insides and buffed with a silicone cloth. They are SMOOTH.

My other mags with plastic lips (the ones with the huge bottom covers) tend to hang up on the last round. The brass rubs on the back mag radius and hangs up.. some buffing with 0000 steel wool fixed that. I have a 10 round surefire loaded with 00 buck under 4 with #4 buck. Till I can get my feed lip issue fixed.

My clip popped off my Md-20 drum at the range but I found it and snapped it back on.. So I assume (there I said it again) that MD may sell them for replacements.

I just measured and hey should fit.

Edited by JohnInNH