How Does Saiga .308 Compare With G3 Type Rilfe ?

I've been thinking about getting a new rifle, something chambered in .308. I wouldn't mind having a S-308, but I already have two AK based guns, so I'm thinking of maybe getting something a little different like a G3 clone, specifically a PTR-91 GI.

Has anyone here shot both of these guns ? How do they compare as far as accuracy, reliability, recoil, etc. ? The AK gas system seems to soak up recoil pretty well for the most part. Are the G3 type rifles the same way ? (I'm not very familiar with the HK system) I've also heard the G3 guns are kind of heavy. Is that true ?

I know the PTR is definitely the more expensive of the two, but if I got the Saiga for whatever reason, I would convert it anyway so it wouldn't end costing that much more really after that. Plus, G3 mags are much cheaper than S-308 mags. Whew, decisions, decisions.

The PTR-91 I shot was a heavy barrel model that would outshoot my real HK91 but it hiccuped a few times on it's maiden voyage with several different mags. My buddy says it's better now that it's broken in but for all of that it's not more an 1/2" better than my Saiga 308 and it is nose heavy, hard kicking for as heavy as it is and the slowest handling and reloading 308 rifle ever produced.

A Saiga 308 converted with some good 20rd mags is hard to beat.Easy handling,light,familiar to an AK user,lots of cool AK stuff fits on it and every once in a while you will find one that is a really amazing shooter but even if you don't it's still a 3MOA or better rifle(same as most generic FALs and G3s) but costs a bit less.

other than the cost of mags they trump anything else even costing 2x as much.

I was a big fan of the FBMG mags and now they are being produced again as the U308 magazine and you can get 3 of them for $89 so add the cost of as many 20rd mags as you would like to have coupled with the cost of your Saiga 308 and then do a comparison. Also go handle a PTR-91 and a converted S308 side by side. there is no comparison in the handling department. I would not want to be shooting a PTR-91 offhand for more than a couple of minutes while I can shoot all afternoon with my saiga(when i can afford the ammo).

Edited by SOPMOD
  • Like 2

I have both types, but I can't disagree more with the last post.

I never had a feeding issue. I don't consider them especially heavy either.

They are more accurate than a Saiga. A well fed H&K type, with a trained marksman, is a 1MOA weapon. A Saiga is twice that, and has a bad design for mounting optics. (Get the PTR with the welded top rail)

The PTR has readily available 20rnd mags for $2... I say again $2.

If you reload, buy or build a port buffer to save the brass damage... although the fluted chamber of the H&K types will demand full length resizing and special attention. H&K types are rough on brass. Both weapons will run cheap steel cased ammo.

It's a matter of taste, and priorities. Once you factor in mags, they are the same price... if you want a lot of mags, the PTR gets even better.

YMMV

Thanks for the quick replies.

The GI model of the PTR-91 does not have the heavy barrel, plus the chamber is built to looser tolerances than the other models to increase reliability with all types of ammo. I'm sure these two factors probably affect accuracy somewhat, but I wouldn't think it would be that much difference. Also, the PTR barrel is 18", in between the 16"-21" model Saigas, which is perfect IMO.

I have both guns & the only similarity is they both digest .308. The later model PTR GI will digest surplus ammo, as well as the JLD "A" ser # guns. The PTR built "AW" guns require new commercial ammo, except for the 1st thousand or so. The PTR [JLD] guns are more accurate, & like stated, mags are about $1 each. They both have their place, & in a pinch for close up usage, I'd grab the Saiga 1st. But for distance I'd grab my JLD gun, which came with a 16" barrel. Check out HK PRO.com. Clone section. GARY N4KVE

Saw this thread on THR on the said 308s accuracy.

http://www.thehighro...t=567005&page=3

Makes me want to get one.

It's not consistent from rifle to rifle though.

My first Saiga S308 was producing over 3MOA and my second rifle could do this

CIMG0721.jpg

It's worth it to me to experiment but I can't suggest them to someone outside of the minimum criteria for the rifle.

I will say a good crown job and careful load selection did a great deal for the accuracy of any rifle.

Edited by SOPMOD

I got about 700 rounds thru my Saiga 308 w/21" bbl..

got it down to under 1 1/2" groups of 4 shots.. and have gone smaller though not consistent..

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=60005

I was using Hornady TAP 110gr.. (at like 3000+ FPS).. :killer:

Hornady SST 150gr worked well also though I ran out of time.. :chris:

Most groups with Tula/Wolf were like SOPMODS.. then Corelokt and Fed OTM 168gr were about 2 1/4".. depending on me..

I have seen some FAL types at the NJ range.. though being stopped by a NJ cop would probably be TOTAL HELL.. :devil: for abit.

Al

Edited by YWHIC

Most groups with Tula/Wolf were like SOPMODS.. then Corelokt and Fed OTM 168gr were about 2 1/4".. depending on me..

You do realize that those are two separate groups shot while drifting the front sight on it's maiden voyage,right?

I am hot to try various light loads to see if they will finally make the rifle magical..

This 125gr Nosler looks interesting and appears to be horribly lethal

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=52&products_id=194

Yes.. 2 groups. 1 at like 1 1/2" and the other at like 1 3/4".. :killer:

Was that the 150gr Corelokt's???

I run a scope because my eyes.. suck... at 40..

Al

It was either Corlokt or SuperX in a lighter weight(as I used both in my boltgun)..

My eyes stink too, I have special squint and head position I must use to get anywhere with these iron sights.

My next shooting accessory really needs to be some Lasik

• Like 1