Minor issue with Internal Reciver Adapter Block

I'm in the process of converting my Saiga and I purchased an internal receiver block from CSS. The quality of the block is top notch and I managed to cut the tang off and get it ground down flush with the end of the receiver. It looks perfectly squared off and the internal receiver block sits flush with the end of the receiver, however the side holes to secure the block don't line up with the holes from where I drilled out the pins which held the original trigger group.

After I drilled out the rivet heads, I did not drill these holes out to 3/16'' and I believe they're right around 5/32'' right now. The screw holes on the internal receiver block just barely miss lining up with the pin holes. Am I okay to drill these holes out to 3/16''? Will that take care of the problem or should I grind down the entire rear of the receiver? Like I said, the block sits flush so I really don't want to do any grinding. Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem.

should I grind down the entire rear of the receiver?

No do not grind your receiver.

I don't know of the importance the side screws (I thought they were only there for additional support). The ACE internal block only use the pistol grip nut to secure it.

I'd say drill away with assurance that everything is ok. I didn't have this problem when I installed my internal block, but I had already drilled the receiver to 3/16th!

That should help, at least. I know I'm not worried about my rifle.

Those factory holes aren't critical either- they were for the factory FCG in sporting configuration. In answer to the above question, they primarily serve to plug those factory FCG holes. I'm fairly sure those holes aren't heat treated at the factory, so I would think they don't bear any "load" during firing. The ACE product was made with ALL Kalashnikov makers in mind I'm sure, and these holes are (if I'm not mistaken) a Saiga-specific thing.

Edited by bohound

I'd say drill away with assurance that everything is ok. I didn't have this problem when I installed my internal block, but I had already drilled the receiver to 3/16th!

That should help, at least. I know I'm not worried about my rifle.

Those factory holes aren't critical either- they were for the factory FCG in sporting configuration. In answer to the above question, they primarily serve to plug those factory FCG holes. I'm fairly sure those holes aren't heat treated at the factory, so I would think they don't bear any "load" during firing. The ACE product was made with ALL Kalashnikov makers in mind I'm sure, and these holes are (if I'm not mistaken) a Saiga-specific thing.

Yeah, I think it's because I didn't drill out the holes with a 3/16'' bit after I broke the heads off the rivets and punched the pins out.

I just now drilled them out with a 3/16'' and wiggled it a bit in the holes and the receiver adapter block fits right inside. A little tight on one of the screws but it went in easily and it's rock solid now. Thank you both for the prompt responses.

Edited by GLine
  • 6 months later...

just did this this weekend. same issue. the original trigger pin holes missed the ace internal by the width of the threads. hog the receiver holes out enough to let the screws pass thru the receiver and all is good. i seriously doubt that this will do harm.

if this will hurt the saiga receiver then the gaping 3/4" hole i cut in my s20 for the underfolder would have been a colossal fubar!

Edited by smartbomb