Anyone have experience with the YL12 shotguns that SOG is selling?  I have read they are made by Norinco in China.....is this correct?  Are they any good?

hi\

my buddy has one of those norinco shotguns

slightly differnet model, but same reciever and such

its a piece of crap --- dont buy it

get a mossberg--- or something similar

I appologize. I was reffering to the Ithaca M37 copy with the 5 shot magazine and a 19" barrel. Of course, this is assuming that you were asking me. As far as the Mossberg comment, I have to appologize for that one too. I was just in a bad mood yesterday.

I appologize.  I was reffering to the Ithaca M37 copy with the 5 shot magazine and a 19" barrel.  Of course, this is assuming that you were asking me.  As far as the Mossberg comment, I have to appologize for that one too.  I was just in a bad mood yesterday.

I have heard many good things about the M37 copy, while the Rem 870 copy I have heard less good and more ill about.

toka -

no apology necessary

i just threw moss out there as an alternative to the norinco

my point was that for less than 100 bux you could at least get an

(american made?) shotty with much easier access to spare parts etc....

ive bought plenty of crappy firearms

and it seems like i gain positive karma at least trying to

steer others away from (or make them aware of) mistakes ive made in the past

Grau_Tek, I understand perfectly, and generally feel the same way.

As far as parts go, the only thing you may not be able to find is a barrel, or a fore-end (slide) peice. The rest of the parts should interchange readily. I've taken the shotgun apart, almost as far as it would go, and the construction seems to be pretty rugged. The receiver is milled steel, which I think is always a plus. The Ghost ring and front Blade sights are very easy to use, and surprisingly accurate while shooting slugs.

The only issues I've heard of with the M37 Clone were that some of the early ones had weak extractor springs. It seems that has not been the case for a while though.

In addition to the above, the trigger is light and crisp. The safety is very convenient. The recoil pad works well enough. Disassembly is easy enough. Hell, the rear sight is even adjustable for elevation and windage. I had a little problem with mine coming loose, but that can be fixed by punching (or possibly drilling with a small bit) into the place you want the set screw to sit. I will also readily admit that it ends up being heavier than an authentic Ithaca, but I think the trade offs are worth it.

I'm looking for a CHEAP shotgun to use steel shot, at my gun club the trap range is steel only. Will probably get a $199 Mosberg Maverick and use an aftermarket screw choke rated for steel shot.

G O B

BRG3: I don't know for certain, but it should be easy enough to find out, assuming you can find someplace that has both, and will let you remove the barrels. I would imagine that if the same company is making both, that the barrels would be interchangeable, but I'm not sure that you could use the longer magazine with the longer barrel.

BRG3:  I don't know for certain, but it should be easy enough to find out, assuming you can find someplace that has both, and will let you remove the barrels.  I would imagine that if the same company is making both, that the barrels would be interchangeable, but I'm not sure that you could use the longer magazine with the longer barrel.

I thought the magazine was the same. That would of course make all the difference.