Looking to get into the AR platform

shooter......GO TO BED DUDE! LOL!

:lolol: I keep weird hours. Hopefully my new job I start at the end of March will normalize them.

Shooter,

No need to dig up the links on Oly malfunctions; can do that myself. Hadn't had problems, so didn't seek them out.

It'll be a badly decomposing horse by the time I can follow-thru on my promise to verify who Oly and Continental make pieces for, but I will. Don't like saying things I can't back-up.

Looked up the "Filthy 14 BCM," per your suggestion. Everyone should google it. Now THAT is quality info. Saved that page in my AR favorites, actually. I like head-to-head data - the kind we don't see in most publications anymore for fear of pissing off advertisers. That was pretty comprehensive and compelling. Definitely moves BCM up my list, and proves that you can build a better AR, yourself, on the cheap.

Thanks for the education. I appreciate you taking the time.

I appreciate your posts as well. :beer:

Yeah I have no Idea how s&w made the 30rnd pmags work got home and decided to play with my mags can't get the 30rnd mags to feed properly over 25 rnds some times around 20. but my 20rnd pmags seem to work alright I haven't had a chance to test them in the gun yet but by hand they feed out of the mag ok I'll try to see if they work in the gun over the weekend

ive heard that some AR uppers dont fit correctly on the lower, causing the two pieces to move when they shouldnt. i think this problem could be easily fixed by using some sort of mechanical component to tighten the upper and lower together, maybe something similar to a quick release bolt that they have on bicycles

ive heard that some AR uppers dont fit correctly on the lower, causing the two pieces to move when they shouldnt. i think this problem could be easily fixed by using some sort of mechanical component to tighten the upper and lower together, maybe something similar to a quick release bolt that they have on bicycles

Upper/lower "slop" isn't technically a bad thing. Granted, some people are anal and can't deal with it, but that's more of personal taste issue, than a function issue. I don't personally like a ridiculously tight upper/lower fit. Try taking an AR apart that is too tight. It's a pain in the ass, and you'll most likely need something to jab into the takedown pins in order to get them moving. I like to be able to push the pins and pull them out, all with my fingers. One of my RRA 9mm uppers was super tight on one of my random lowers. It was impossible to get the takedown pins moving without using something to whack it and get it moving.

But for those that prefer a tight fit, there's some sort of plug that tightens it up. A lot of people don't like the idea of a piece of plastic near their FCG, though. If it breaks apart and falls into it, you're screwed.

very true, there is an ideal amount of clearance that allows the rifle to easily be taken apart, and also yields a nice solid feel to it. personally, ive never experienced an incredibly loose fit for an AR upper. but thats probably because ive only ever held 4 different AR's including the two that i own. but regardless, it seems like trying to fire an AR that fits loosely together would be annoying. it brings back memories of trying to shoot my old daisy powerline, which had an incredibly sloppy fit between the working components of the gun, and its stock.

man that bb gun pissed me off

• Like 1

Looked up the "Filthy 14 BCM," per your suggestion. Everyone should google it. Now THAT is quality info. Saved that page in my AR favorites, actually. I like head-to-head data - the kind we don't see in most publications anymore for fear of pissing off advertisers. That was pretty comprehensive and compelling. Definitely moves BCM up my list, and proves that you can build a better AR, yourself, on the cheap.

Pat Rogers knows his shit and wouldn't be using Bravo Company weapons for loaner guns in his classes if they were not up to par.

I have owned or currently own nearly every AR manufacturer out there. This is my opinion based on my experience and those around me:

High end but expensive: Noveske, KAC (my personal favorite), and LaRue

Outstanding quality/value: Colt, BCM (probably the best overall value), Daniel Defense, Spikes, LMT

Overpriced considering other options but fine: RRA, Stag, Bushmaster

Junk (when you consider they cost the same as Spikes): DPMS, OLY, Blackthorne

There are of course other companies out there but this covers most of them. Didn't include any piston versions as I believe they give no real benefit in the AR world from my experience but to each their own. If I was going to buy one though it would either be LMT or LWRC.

Edited by Jeep297

Upper/lower "slop" isn't technically a bad thing. Granted, some people are anal and can't deal with it, but that's more of personal taste issue, than a function issue. I don't personally like a ridiculously tight upper/lower fit. Try taking an AR apart that is too tight. It's a pain in the ass, and you'll most likely need something to jab into the takedown pins in order to get them moving. I like to be able to push the pins and pull them out, all with my fingers. One of my RRA 9mm uppers was super tight on one of my random lowers. It was impossible to get the takedown pins moving without using something to whack it and get it moving.

But for those that prefer a tight fit, there's some sort of plug that tightens it up. A lot of people don't like the idea of a piece of plastic near their FCG, though. If it breaks apart and falls into it, you're screwed.

I have an RRA that is tight as shit as well. I like the tight fit and no wobble but takedown requires something to push the pins through. I wouldn't recommend a gimicky device to tighten things up either.

• Like 1

I have owned or currently own nearly every AR manufacturer out there. This is my opinion based on my experience and those around me:

High end but expensive: Noveske, KAC (my personal favorite), and LaRue

Outstanding quality/value: Colt, BCM (probably the best overall value), Daniel Defense, Spikes, LMT

Overpriced considering other options but fine: RRA, Stag, Bushmaster

Junk (when you consider they cost the same as Spikes): DPMS, OLY, Blackthorne

There are of course other companies out there but this covers most of them. Didn't include any piston versions as I believe they give no real benefit in the AR world from my experience but to each their own. If I was going to buy one though it would either be LMT or LWRC.

Add Bushmaster to the junk category. My next build is going to involve a LMT monolithic upper. You can change barrels with the torque wrench they include. My buddy has one, very nice! That way you can go from SBR to middy to precision barrels on the same upper with one tool.

anyone have experience with the smith 5.45 ar? What nags do they take? Reliability? Should I just stick with the ak74?

I have one. Well, two actually. I just use the c-products mags, loaded to 28 rounds. Bought about 2 dozen. Had some minor issues with the factory mag on one rifle, otherwise no memorable issues. I've gone through only about 1500 rounds, so we'll see. All 20+ year-old 7N6, I just rinse it in the kitchen sink when I bring it back from the range.

I'd expect an AK-74 is more reliable, but I wanted an AR that shot cheap ammo. I was happy enough with this that I planned to take an EAG class with them, but I had to bail on that and haven't set up another due to paying for these damn shotguns. ... :)