LaRue Tactical AK Iron Dot

I think they stopped making them, but I sent an email today to ask if they do. Phone wait time was interminable so I jumped off. That AK mount looks freakin solid and the Burris site is a nice litte sight, not expensive either. Anyone ever put their hands on one?

There were very few ever made. The optic they were using in them was redesigned, and so the mount needed a redesign... This was like two years ago. I think LaRue is too busy raking in money on AR stuff to worry too much.

Eotech on an AK will always be a bad combo. The Eotech is built to fit the AR, and doesn't play well with the low sights on an AK. You will require a cheek riser that will have to be removed to use the irons.

I won't use ANYTHING that clamps to my barrel. Hence, Beryl rail, and if it costs me $200-$300 then so be it.

Also, turns out dumbass me ordered the WRONG friggin stock set.....damn, more waiting for a Magpul setup from CSS. Should have bought it in the first place.

Have you looked into the TWS Dog Leg rail? The current generation is integrated into a dust cover. Looks pretty slick too, and very low to the bore. Much lower than any side rail and even lower than the beryl rails.

TWSDLRCGEN2_MED.jpg

I want to get one for my wife's rifle, as this is the best choice for weight and balance in adding an optic. They appear to be having some teething pains with this, though...might want to wait a few months.

Edited by Jim Digriz

Have you looked into the TWS Dog Leg rail? The current generation is integrated into a dust cover. Looks pretty slick too, and very low to the bore. Much lower than any side rail and even lower than the beryl rails.

TWSDLRCGEN2_MED.jpg

I want to get one for my wife's rifle, as this is the best choice for weight and balance in adding an optic. They appear to be having some teething pains with this, though...might want to wait a few months.

Or see if you can find a gen1 version of it, depending on what you used for your stock setup the Gen1 might work well, although I think the gen2 shown there is too awesome. They have to get it working right... I need one.

Barrel harmonics change when you clamp something to it and you sacrifice accuracy for the convenient and cheap mount.

Your POI might change, but I don't think that your accuracy does. In fact, the Ultimak rail generally improves your accuracy. My Ultimak equipped SGL21 is as accurate as stamped receiver AKs get. I got a shitload of target pics, with 2" six round 100 yard groups using Brown Bear HPs. I feel too lazy to post them again.

Barrel harmonics change when you clamp something to it and you sacrifice accuracy for the convenient and cheap mount.

Your POI might change, but I don't think that your accuracy does. In fact, the Ultimak rail generally improves your accuracy. My Ultimak equipped SGL21 is as accurate as stamped receiver AKs get. I got a shitload of target pics, with 2" six round 100 yard groups using Brown Bear HPs. I feel too lazy to post them again.

+1

accuracy = repeatability...

barrel harmonics is one of MANY variables in the equation that gives you trajectory.

AK's are as far from free floating barrels as you can get. Everything is "clamped" onto it. Your heavy ass solid steel front sight tower, your all steel gas block, and oh yeah your hand guard retainer that your hand guard is knocking into...

Not to mention we're talking about an equation that doesn't show any effects until we talk about distances where the 7.62x39 round only has enough energy to kill a bunny. Out there lack of energy + crosswind will F up your chances of getting hits more than "barrel harmonics."

Just please state you have some other reason to skip the only proven optics solution for the AK platform.

Just please state you have some other reason to skip the only proven optics solution for the AK platform.

That's a bold and probably incorrect statement. Proven by whose standards? What about side rail mounts like the POSP? What about beryl rails like the Polish use? Which military uses the Ultimak?

Not that the ultimak isn't a totally viable platform, but it's not the only game in town.

Edited by Dudethebagman

I purchased and will be installing the TWS gen 2. Yes there's shit already clamped to the barrel and I don't wish to clamp any more shit to it. I've shot with and without the Midwest and my accuracy improved. My opinion is the Midwest introduces extra harmonics which are undesirable..... YMMV and that's my $0.02....

Edited by alex e

I purchased and will be installing the TWS gen 2. Yes there's shit already clamped to the barrel and I don't wish to clamp any more shit to it. I've shot with and without the Midwest and my accuracy improved. My opinion is the Midwest introduces extra harmonics which are undesirable..... YMMV and that's my $0.02....

Let us know how the TWS Gen 2 installation goes. As far as I know, they haven't worked out all the quirks with it yet, which is why I am hesitant to get it for my Saiga 308 at this point.

• Like 1

Let us know how the TWS Gen 2 installation goes. As far as I know, they haven't worked out all the quirks with it yet, which is why I am hesitant to get it for my Saiga 308 at this point.

It certainly has potentially on an S308. I'm thinking, Aimpoint Micro on the rail, with option to add 4 or 6 power POSP on the side rail without removing the Micro. I'm not sure that it will work, but I expect it will since the Aimpoint on the Ultimak rail did not interfere with the POSP's view when I tried it a year or so ago.

PICT4415.jpg?t=1297543681

If that doesn't work, maybe an RMR instead of a Micro?

Edited by Jim Digriz

That's a bold and probably incorrect statement. Proven by whose standards? What about side rail mounts like the POSP? What about beryl rails like the Polish use? Which military uses the Ultimak?

Not that the ultimak isn't a totally viable platform, but it's not the only game in town.

You're right that is too bold. Should have said the only platform that supports an Aimpoint.

As to who's standard? no military. Jim Fuller's stamp of approval does fine by me though. Anything labeled "mil-spec" gets the eye anyway.

Don't get me wrong I agree there are other viable options. More so today than a few months ago.

If you ask the best AK builders in the world their #1 choice will still be the Ultimak(for an Aimpoint).

Biggest variable in accuracy is the person pulling the trigger. That's not a stab at you alex e. That's everyone.

How did you measure accuracy? What ammo did you use for each measurement? How many times did you do this test? Was it on the same day? What kind of rest were you using to shoot from?

The answers to these questions will show more variance then any clamped on device.

I can see from these posts and your other thread you aren't one to really have conversations with.

I'm posting to ensure others who stumble across these threads don't get the wrong idea.

There's nothing wrong with beryl style mounts or the side rail mounts. The TWS product looks to be doing very well. Side rail mounts are an awesome example of damn near return to zero re-mountable optics that others still strive for today.

The motivation to never use an Ultimak or MI HG because of "barrel harmonics" is just silly.

Edited by jamesavery22

Got it! Man I gotta get this sleeve off the end...but first drilling everything out.....everything done except bullet guide, MAG RELEASE MOD, and Magpul furniture install. That was FAST. Took no time. Thanks CSS video crew!

The Tapco mags do not fit the catch lever, seemingly by a ton, and I will mess with that later.

Edited by alex e

If you ask the best AK builders in the world their #1 choice will still be the Ultimak(for an Aimpoint).

Well, I do have to admit that it's a good combination.

This impresses me, as much for the shooting as the equipment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLTTJk7SKoI

He doesn't hit them all, but still damn good shooting, IMO.

Edited by Dudethebagman