Barrel Scuffing?

I was cleaning my Saiga (SGL-02) after it's 1st break in run and I noticed a ton of scratches inside the barrel. They start immediately after the chamber and fade out about 6-8" down the barrel. They look to be scratches or possible hairline cracks in the chrome? I have run asorted brushes and a BoreSnake through it maybe 30-40 times and cannot see any real difference. My Saiga .410 has 500 rds through it and still looks spotless.

I broke in the gun with about 40 rds of 3" #2 steel, 25 rds of 00 buck, and 10 3" Magnum slugs to sight it in. Do you guys thing it's just residue from the slugs and I should keep scrubbing or should I be worried? I tried to get a good pic but I can't get the lighting right.

Edited by WhiskeyMinion

mine looks like that chamber to muzzle, I shrugged it off. Probably 2000 or so rounds through it, mostly low brass but with a magnum shell or slug thrown in for fun every now and then.

mine looks like that chamber to muzzle, I shrugged it off. Probably 2000 or so rounds through it, mostly low brass but with a magnum shell or slug thrown in for fun every now and then.

Sweet, I just want to make sure nothing was wrong before I start the conversion. This gun is going to see alot of heavy loads. So far it has cycled great on setting one.

Edited by WhiskeyMinion

My barrel has what looks like a cut in it. really small. almost looks like a scratch would look like on a piece of tin. after several cleanings it is still there, don't think it's a big deal. will try to get some pics up on here sometime.

It's probably powder/plastic/lead fowled. Try a good solvent like Hoppes.

Those poor chickens.

Spelling police? You do punctuation, too? Geeesshh :huh:

LOL ^_^

This is exactly what I was thinking, can't feel it when running a finger inside the barrel, Hoppes won't even dent it, but it doesn't bother me any.

Edited by TTMR

This is exactly what I was thinking, can't feel it when running a finger inside the barrel, Hoppes won't even dent it, but it doesn't bother me any.

Yeah, Hoppes nitro isn't doing much. I have a few more things to try before I say screw it. I'm going to take it out to the range one more time and then I'm going to start converting. Need to see how low of a shot I can run before switching to #2 setting.

Thanks for the reply's guys. I'm going to go do some more research. Mostly on trying to save the original FCG rivets when I do my 1st conversion (No drilling)

FWIW I knocked my FCG rivets out with a punch.

What size/style punch did you use?

I saw a guy on youtube do it the same way. Afterward he tapped the holes and put small button head bolts in them. It looked pretty clean.