Ever since getting my Remington 1911 R1 I have been considering it as an alternative CCW pistol.

I completely trust my Glock 27 and have relied on it for several years. It has never malfunctioned in years of drills and will continue to be my CCW of choice. But the new 1911 is a thing of beauty and to me is like wearing a jewelry store watch compared to the Glock which is more like a drug store watch.

To those that carry a 1911 I pose this question:

Do you carry it with a round in the chamber?

If so, do you carry with the hammer cocked and safety on or the hammer released and resting on a loaded chamber?

I am seriously considering a shoulder holster for this pistol and I am hoping to get some input from those that carry one on a regular basis.

Condition one is how it's intended to be carried. If you're nervous chamber a snap cap and carry it around the house doing your daily task etc. You'll feel more comfortable once you see it's damn near impossible to have the hammer drop accidentally. Even if the safety somehow disengages you still have the grip safety too.

• Like 1

Cocked and locked! Kinda like the jeep saying goes, "Its a 1911 kinda thing you wouldn't understand." Everytime i tell someone i carry it cocked and locked they think I'm crazy. The only people that don't think that are 1911 carriers/ owners themselves.

Don't take your carry advise from a lawyer...

I carried one for over 20 years daily, cocked and locked, and in a lot more violent conditions then most will subject one too.

Thanks for the replies gentleman.

Seems like cocked and locked is the way to go.

I need to get a lot more practice time with this pistol before I consider CCW but this info lets me know how my drills should be handled.

It's amazing how a 100 year old design can feel so perfect in the hand. The 1911 is truly a masterpiece.

• Like 1

If I'm not in bed mine is on me cocked and locked. Check out the Milt Sparks VM2 holster. It is an IWB and exceedingly comfortable with a good belt. I also use the Milt Sparks belts. Glad you are pleased with your new Remington.

Same here. When I'm in bed I've got my Taurus Tracker sleeping with me :P