More evidence Promag = Poopmag

I stopped at a local gun store today on my way to the range, and saw that they had 30-round promags for the .223. I decided to try one. even though I have had bad luck with their AK mags in the past, and even though I had read some negative reviews, I thought I would give them another chance.

anyways, the mag didn't even last 10 rounds. loaded it with 62 gr Wolf FMJ ammo. started off great, then failed to feed on the 8th round. cycled the rifle by hand for the 8th, 9th, and 10th rounds, then pulled the Promag. This is what I saw:

004.jpg

003-2.jpg

The plastic bullet guide on the front of the mag broke. You can see half of it still sticking up. I actually found the piece that broke off ejected from the rifle.

Now what do I do? I can send it back to Promag, but I suspect they will just send me a replacement POS which will break, too. Very disappointed. I should have known better. Never again.

Edited by DudeRN

I've had mags that worked, and mags that didn't.

Their p38 mags have worked fine, their desert eagle mags didn't. I've had zero luck with AK mags made by promag or tapco. I've heard mostly positive reviews of their S-12 drum mags, but have no personal experience.

I stopped at a local gun store today on my way to the range, and saw that they had 30-round promags for the .223. I decided to try one. even though I have had bad luck with their AK mags in the past, and even though I had read some negative reviews, I thought I would give them another chance.

anyways, the mag didn't even last 10 rounds. loaded it with 62 gr Wolf FMJ ammo. started off great, then failed to feed on the 8th round. cycled the rifle by hand for the 8th, 9th, and 10th rounds, then pulled the Promag. This is what I saw:

004.jpg

003-2.jpg

The plastic bullet guide on the front of the mag broke. You can see half of it still sticking up. I actually found the piece that broke off ejected from the rifle.

Now what do I do? I can send it back to Promag, but I suspect they will just send me a replacement POS which will break, too. Very disappointed. I should have known better. Never again.

They aren't poop. You're just NEW to this forum; and didn't do any researching here before buying the promags. If you had looked first, you'd see that you can make Promags work perfectly. And you can buy them in bulk for $10-$11 each. But you are correct. If you use them straight out of the package, the bullet guide is pretty much guaranteed to break off. But if you do a little search, you'll see that you can make them 100% reliable.

• Like 1

004.jpg

003-2.jpg

They aren't poop. You're just NEW to this forum; and didn't do any researching here before buying the promags. If you had looked first, you'd see that you can make Promags work perfectly. And you can buy them in bulk for $10-$11 each. But you are correct. If you use them straight out of the package, the bullet guide is pretty much guaranteed to break off. But if you do a little search, you'll see that you can make them 100% reliable.

I second that...I now have a few promag in 223 but I also have a bullet guide from dinzag so getting a cheap ak mag and snapping the piece off runs 100% after at least 1000 rounds a piece...I also have the Tapco Galil ones...little more wobble but function 100% through 150 rounds in each...

Yup, you're right, I am new to this forum. But the reason I joined was to learn more about Saigas and all the various mods and accessories that are available. I have decided I don't want to install a bullet guide, so I was looking for magazines that I could use out of the box. I found a lot of differing opinions about Promags for the .223, but I didn't find anything that said 'they'll break right out of the box' or that you'll only be able to use them with a bullet guide. I also read a lot of reviews elsewhere on the internet. Most of what I found was that sometimes they might be a tight fit, might take some sanding/filing, and that they may need feed with 100% reliability.

I just think that a company that advertises their product with things like "Quality knows no compromise" and "We are committed to manufacturing quality products using only the finest materials, equipment and technology available" and "Promag... where Quality and Dependability work together to ensure your satisfaction" ought to be producing a product that lasts more than 10 rounds before it breaks.

I don't want to get into a pissing contest, if you guys love your promags and they work great with a bullet guide, more power to you. But if you are looking for a magazine that you can use right out of the box, Promags are poop.

Yup, you're right, I am new to this forum. But the reason I joined was to learn more about Saigas and all the various mods and accessories that are available. I have decided I don't want to install a bullet guide, so I was looking for magazines that I could use out of the box. I found a lot of differing opinions about Promags for the .223, but I didn't find anything that said 'they'll break right out of the box' or that you'll only be able to use them with a bullet guide. I also read a lot of reviews elsewhere on the internet. Most of what I found was that sometimes they might be a tight fit, might take some sanding/filing, and that they may need feed with 100% reliability.

I just think that a company that advertises their product with things like "Quality knows no compromise" and "We are committed to manufacturing quality products using only the finest materials, equipment and technology available" and "Promag... where Quality and Dependability work together to ensure your satisfaction" ought to be producing a product that lasts more than 10 rounds before it breaks.

I don't want to get into a pissing contest, if you guys love your promags and they work great with a bullet guide, more power to you. But if you are looking for a magazine that you can use right out of the box, Promags are poop.

I agree about your statement concerning advertising a product that should work in the rifle 100% reliable..the surefires do this (at a high cost)...but one of the best mods to your rifle is the bullet guide and this also gives you access to mil-surp mags that are 110% reliable. I use the pro-mags and they are fine...I did have a follower break when I stepped on it...I might get a few orlites to use as these are one of the prime finds for the 223/5.56. Another great mod is a conversion with new fire control group...if you want to see some sweet mods go to the sticky page with the pics...you'll want to buy more saiga's and make one of each...lol

PS I hope you love your Saiga as much as the rest of us here do and welcome to the club.

I hate Promag with all that I am, have even authored a thread in hopes that others would not befall the same fate you have... It saddens me that others STILL fall prey to the evil that is "Pro"Mag.

Still, I agree- you can always send it back (I did)... Heck- they may even do for you what they did for me- send a replacement mag in the wrong caliber!

That's quality service backing a quality product.

• Like 1

For what it's worth; I've probably done more testing and experimenting with promags and the Saiga rifles than probably anyone else. I've even posted a complete review. Now; whether or not they work right out of the bag or not is irrelevant. Point is; they are what they are. And in the Saiga world, you have basically 5 choice.

1. Use factory 10 rounds saiga magazines.

2. Spend approximately $30 for a Surefire Magazine.

3. Put in a Dinzag bullet guide and then have the option of using many different magazines. Including promag, orlites, and many others.

4. Spend approximately $90-$100 and buy a Renegadebuck or MSA AR-15 magazine adapter. (Requires some minor modification to the rifle)

5. Buy promgag magazines; spend approximately 30 seconds of your life with a Toe-Nail clipper, and make the promag magazines work 100%

Point is; what's SUPPOSE to be and WHAT IS REALITY is not always the same. You can choose to spend $30 on Surefire mags. Nothing wrong with that option. You can do what I did eventually and put in a Renegadebuck AR15 magazine adapter. (Or an MSA AR15 magazine adapter). Both similar in design. Or; you can do what DJ did and put in the Dinzag bullet guide. Or like I did originally and figured out how to make the $10 promag work perfectly with 30 seconds and a set of Toe-Nail clippers. This is reality. Don't need to hear how it's "Suppose to be". None of us OWN or WORK at Promag. So you can believe anything you want and have all the feelings you want. OR; you can decide on how you want to run magazines through your Saiga. Doesn't really matter. There isn't one thing you can think of with the Saiga that someone here hasn't already been through. I still shoot promag magazines that I've had and been using for more than a year. Sometimes I snap in the AR15 magazine adapter and use the same magazines that I shoot in my AR15. We're here if you have questions.

For what it's worth; I've probably done more testing and experimenting with promags and the Saiga rifles than probably anyone else. I've even posted a complete review. Now; whether or not they work right out of the bag or not is irrelevant. Point is; they are what they are. And in the Saiga world, you have basically 5 choice.

3. Put in a Dinzag bullet guide and then have the option of using many different magazines. Including promag, orlites, and many others.

4. Spend approximately $90-$100 and buy a Renegadebuck or MSA AR-15 magazine adapter. (Requires some minor modification to the rifle)

5. Buy promgag magazines; spend approximately 30 seconds of your life with a Toe-Nail clipper, and make the promag magazines work 100%

Point is; what's SUPPOSE to be and WHAT IS REALITY is not always the same. You can choose to spend $30 on Surefire mags. Nothing wrong with that option. You can do what I did eventually and put in a Renegadebuck AR15 magazine adapter. (Or an MSA AR15 magazine adapter). Both similar in design. Or; you can do what DJ did and put in the Dinzag bullet guide. Or like I did originally and figured out how to make the $10 promag work perfectly with 30 seconds and a set of Toe-Nail clippers. This is reality. Don't need to hear how it's "Suppose to be". None of us OWN or WORK at Promag. So you can believe anything you want and have all the feelings you want. OR; you can decide on how you want to run magazines through your Saiga. Doesn't really matter. There isn't one thing you can think of with the Saiga that someone here hasn't already been through. I still shoot promag magazines that I've had and been using for more than a year. Sometimes I snap in the AR15 magazine adapter and use the same magazines that I shoot in my AR15. We're here if you have questions.

I did option #3 at first and my Promags worked great. But I then decided to go with option #4 and I love it so much better.

BTW, if you go option #4, you can't go back to option #3 but you can always use option #1 or #2. However if you go with option #3, you can't do #1, #2 or #4.

Edited by FrustratedInCali

I did option #3 at first and my Promags worked great. But I then decided to go with option #4 and I love it so much better.

BTW, if you go option #4, you can't go back to option #3 but you can always use option #1 or #2. However if you go with option #3, you can't do #1, #2 or #4.

Can't the bullet guide simply be removed if one changes his mind?

I like the factory mags, 10 rounds is fine for the range and plinking. i did buy a couple of Surefire 20-rounders, and they functioned flawlessly at the range. so I am happy with factory mags and surefires for now. i think the ar mag adapter option looks great, but I would have to do the modification to the trunnion with a dremel, and I am concerned about cracking it. has anyone had any luck with dremeling?

I like the factory mags, 10 rounds is fine for the range and plinking. i did buy a couple of Surefire 20-rounders, and they functioned flawlessly at the range. so I am happy with factory mags and surefires for now. i think the ar mag adapter option looks great, but I would have to do the modification to the trunnion with a dremel, and I am concerned about cracking it. has anyone had any luck with dremeling?

That's how I did mine when I bought the Renegadebuck adapter. The only way you're going to potentially crack anything, is if you over heat it. In other words, take your time and don't try to grind it down in 2 minutes.

The advantage of the Renegadebuck adapter and the MSA adapter, is that they snap in place just like they were a magazine. So; if for whatever reason you wanted to, you can pop the adapter out just like it was a magazine, and go back to using the surefire or original magazines. (Or the promags that you properly snipped). So you have the best of both worlds.

Can't the bullet guide simply be removed if one changes his mind?

Yes, that's exactly what I did but to swap back and forth just to keep all options open is just not practical. That's why I decided to just stick with the AR adapter or factory mags. Keeping mags that only work with a bullet guide while keeping other mags that only work without a bullet guide can be confusing so commit to one method and simplify your life.