saiga 12 whats the truth about the ATF ban

there Has not been any kind of official statement about a ban effective as of April 2011, its just hearsay and a sales strategy. If I was in possession of 10-20 more saigas than I needed I would also be attempting to double my money and capitalize on the scare.

Do any of you edumacated people know if the Streetsweeper or USAS-12 or any other firearm has had a "study" done?

If memory serves me: there was no "study". The BATF just declared they served no sporting purpose and blocked their importation. As they were found to be above .50 with no sporting purpose, the Attorney General under Clinton was free to declare them Destructive Devices, and so he did.

This all happened one day in one fell swoop with no warning, so there was no rush to purchase these guns before they were banned as people didn't have a chance to prepare (and other than the few USAS' that were out there, I don't think there was that great a demand). A lot of people who owned Streetsweepers, USAS-12 and Strikers 12 shotguns just woke up one day to find themselves in possession of NFA weapons.

This all happened under the Clinton admin, which was constantly and aggressively in pursuit of any opportunity to ban any firearm, and who gave the BATF wide lattitude to do so. Under Obama I think the gun control agenda is rather more muted, and the BATF is on a tighter leash; consequently, if they want to pursue a ban now, they'll likely have to provide a "justification" to present to the public, even if it is full of holes and made of horsecrap.

Edited by Mr. Scratch

Technically the Obama Administration doesn't need to be involved at all...its up to the Attorney General.

The BATFE can make a recommendation and provide their study, the comments, any "science" that was done to reflect the result of the "study" to the AG...then the AG signs off on it and waah-lah....NFA DD's abound....

However the thing that will probably stay the hand of the AG is the broad sweeping measure as to the items that, according to the study, have no "sporting purpose"

It would be impossible to count the number of Saigas, Mossbergs, Benellis, Remingtons..etc that possess one of the items listed in the study....

...I think the BATFE may try to implement a restriction, but I doubt that an AG would sign off on it...

...especially in light of Heller vs DC

Edited by Xitesmai

You know what sort of help us owners in this situation? There wasn't a huge number of strykers and sweepers that made it in the hands of people. So it was easier to declare them DD's and be done with it. How many S12's have come into this country? TONS. They may...may....stop importing them, but there is not way they will outlaw them and try to collect them. There are just too many out in the wild. At least that is what my pops says and it makes sense.

Technically the Obama Administration doesn't need to be involved at all...its up to the Attorney General.

The BATFE can make a recommendation and provide their study, the comments, any "science" that was done to reflect the result of the "study" to the AG...then the AG signs off on it and waah-lah....NFA DD's abound....

However the thing that will probably stay the hand of the AG is the broad sweeping measure as to the items that, according to the study, have no "sporting purpose"

It would be impossible to count the number of Saigas, Mossbergs, Benellis, Remingtons..etc that possess one of the items listed in the study....

...I think the BATFE may try to implement a restriction, but I doubt that an AG would sign off on it...

I was explaining this elsewhere in regard to the DD aspect of the problem. The BATF has the power to block importation of "non-sporting" shotguns, and it really won't cost them anything to do so.

However, having the AG declaring them DDs is another matter. Last time they did this they provided an amnesty period by which owners of the effected guns could register them for free. Not so hard when you're talking about guns that were never big sellers in the first place. But when you start looking at the guns which probably number in the 100s of thousands, you are talking about a lot of paperwork (and labor hours) for the BATF to background, approve and file all those NFA applicants and their individual weapons. That is a heavy load on the NFA branch, which is relatively small, with no extra money coming in to cover the expense.

If this all comes to pass, my wager would be on an importation block without a NFA registration requirement. But that's just my guess.

Edited by Mr. Scratch

I was explaining this elsewhere in regard to the DD aspect of the problem. The BATF has the power to block importation of "non-sporting" shotguns, and it really won't cost them anything to do so.

However, having the AG declaring them DDs is another matter. Last time they did this they provided an amnesty period by which owners of the effected guns could register them for free. Not so hard when you're talking about guns that were never big sellers in the first place. But when you start looking at the guns which probably number in the 100s of thousands, you are talking about a lot of paperwork (and labor hours) for the BATF to background, approve and file all those NFA applicants and their individual weapons. That is a heavy load on the NFA branch, which is relatively small, with no extra money coming in to cover the expense.

If this all comes to pass, my wager would be on an importation block without a NFA registration requirement. But that's just my guess.

This would be my assessment as well.

Its all just speculation, the guys who know have spoken, we have nothing to worry about.

This is the 4th time you've brought up "the guys who know", and about how they have this all figured out.

Who the hell are these legendary wise men you keep talking about? Why would they know better than anyone else? And exactly what sacred BATF revelation did they supposedly bring down from on high?

I'm not really impressed with appeals to authority, but most especially not when the "authority" isn't even identified, and their statements not even revealed so they can be examined.

Edited by Mr. Scratch

Its all just speculation, the guys who know have spoken, we have nothing to worry about.

This is the 4th time you've brought up "the guys who know", and about how they have this all figured out.

Who the hell are these legendary wise men you keep talking about? Why would they know better than anyone else? And exactly what sacred BATF revelation did they supposedly bring down from on high?

I'm not really impressed with appeals to authority, but most especially not when the "authority" isn't even identified, and their statements not even revealed so they can be examined.

I have it on the authority of Big Al of Big Al's Bait Tackle, Ammo and Discount Cigarette Outlet just off State Rt 5, that Siagas will be blocked for importation cause his knee always hurts when a weapon is going to be outlawed...and the other day it kinda tickled, then he dropped a deuce that looked like a Saiga 12....proof right there.

Come on people...cite sources on supposed information.

Edited by Xitesmai
I have it on the authority of Big Al of Big Al's Bait Tackle, Ammo and Discount Cigarette Outlet just off State Rt 5, that Siagas will be blocked for importation cause his knee always hurts when a weapon is going to be outlawed...and the other day it kinda tickled, then he dropped a deuce that looked like a Saiga 12....proof right there.

Come on people...cite sources on supposed information.

I must have a warped sense of humor, but I thought thats pretty funny. :lolol: