Can a Rifle Receiver be Re-Registered as a Pistol Receiver

Doesn't the precedent from the TC encore case mean anything in this regard?

Yes, if it's a T/C receiver.

Otherwise, no, it cannot be reregistered as a pistol. It would have to be destroyed per ATF requirements, and then remanufactured with a new number as a pistol.

BTW, destroyed per ATF standards would mean several torch cuts through it, each removing at least 1/4" of metal.

Edited by Gunfixr
  • Like 1

I concur with everyone that replied "no."

Yet, and although this may not be applicable to what your intended end desire may be, IF you are intending to make a "bolt action" receiver of a rifle into a pistol. . . some bolt action firearms manufacturers release a small number of their bolt action receivers 'undesignated' from their factory (alas, the only manufacturer that I am aware of and have personal experience with on this, is Savage Arms).

Once the 'undesignated' bolt action is received by the purchasing customer's FFL dealer, it is at that time when the serial numbered action must be registered either as a handgun or as a rifle.

If you are already aware of all the above, my apologies.

~Gary

Besides the T/C Encore the Beretta Neos carbine kit is also allowed. You buy the pistol and then you can interconvert between it and the rifle. Just make sure you never accidentally assemble an SBR.

That's what I was talking about in my first post; the Encore. I have no idea where I pulled "Contender" from. :lolol:

Now wait, I thought that a virgin receiver became a rifle or a pistol at the moment it was first assembled.

In other words, an AR receiver could under the new ruling be built as a pistol or a rifle. But once built as a rifle, that is what it is legally.

Now wait, I thought that a virgin receiver became a rifle or a pistol at the moment it was first assembled.

In other words, an AR receiver could under the new ruling be built as a pistol or a rifle. But once built as a rifle, that is what it is legally.

Yeah, an AR lower is considered an "other" on the 4473. It can no longer be considered a "rifle" or a "pistol", until it's assembled into either (but I've read about a few FFL's checking it in as a "pistol" on the 4473 if a lower had "Pistol only" marked on it, but that's wrong. Those markings hold zero legal weight and a "Pistol only" marked lower can be legally built into a rifle).

Also, it used to be that if an AR lower had a stock on it, it was considered a rifle from that point on. But there's ATF letters stating that this is no longer the case. Now, in order for an AR lower to be considered a "rifle", on top of having a stock installed, it also needs to have been topped with a rifle upper at some point in it's life.

But yeah, like you said, once it's a rifle, it's always a rifle. (Again, aside from those very few special cases who have exclusive ATF approval to switch between rifle and pistol whenever you want)

If this is AK related, NoDak Spud LLC makes a receiver that is stamped "Pistol"-I went that route when I built mine as the receiver was stamped and transfered with a pistol designation. (although local ATF had no idea who the hell NoDak spud was and followed up with a call to my FFL).

If this is AK related, NoDak Spud LLC makes a receiver that is stamped "Pistol"-I went that route when I built mine as the receiver was stamped and transfered with a pistol designation. (although local ATF had no idea who the hell NoDak spud was and followed up with a call to my FFL).

This is AR-7 related

Alright, lets get this crap straight.

First, the whole Encore thing is applicable only to the Encore, nothing else.

Second, it is legal to convert a pistol into a rifle, such as with the Neos kit. You can even go back to a pistol later. Just don't assemble an illegal SBR combination.

Third, once a receiver has been assembled at the factory with a stock mounted on it, it is registered as a rifle, and it cannot be converted into a pistol.

Fourth, if it has never had a stock on it, such as with a stripped receiver, or a complete receiver with no barrel or stock, it is listed as a receiveron on the 4473, as there is a place for that now, and can be built either way.

Fifth, receivers marked "Pistol" and sold as pistol receivers are merely a gimmick to screw you, the customer, out of more money, as a stripped receiver is just that.

That last tidbit is straight from the horses mouth, as I discussed it with a senior ATF investigator.