Don't use old ammo with paper wadding in your S-12

I received an urgent call from a previous customer today who was having issues with his gun & dropped everything to help him troubleshoot.

He had been shooting really old ammo.

He's been collecting ammo for decades. Long before it was "fashionable" to have a large supply.

His issue was his bolt was locked in breech & whatever he did, the bolt wouldn't rotate.

After asking many questions, (keep in mind, he's 1/2 a country away from me & we're talking on the phone) the only conclusion I could come up with was there must be a piece of foreign matter blocking a locking lug.

He inspected & found that indeed there was a piece of paper wadding lodged in & behind a locking lug. He got it out & everything worked again.

Paper wadding is even worse than wool wadding.

Wool wadding will gum up your gas system really bad, so avoid it too.

Paper wadding can be blown apart during ignition & some of it can stay in the shell, then as the gun's ejecting the shell fall into the gun & jam stuff up.

It's like "super fouling" to a whole new level.

So please use newer ammo with plastic wadding in the S-12 & keep the wool wadding for the pumps & the paper wadding for the break-action guns.

Just a suggestion for the newer guys (since we have so many) to save you some trouble, or give you something to look for if you have this issue after shooting ammo with paper wadding.

If you have a similar issue in the future, I hope this helps.

Happy shooting. :up:

• Like 2