MD Plug Question

I finally got a chance to head to a legit range and run some cheap ammo this weekend. The gun cycled #7.5 Federal and #8 Winchester flawlessley on setting #1 (stock plug). When set on #1, the factory plug is out a bit from the gas block. Setting #2 is almost flush.

Can I run less gas with the MD plug in position #1 than on the factory one? This is a stock 3 port gun with under 150 rounds

The MDarms plug will allow you to adjust the amount of gas more precisely and help keep your gun gassed correctly. Get one, they are worth every penny.

Agreed, but if your gun is cycling low brass on setting 1 of the factory plug, it's not gonna hurt your gun. I would have gotten an MD Arms plug if I had known about it. I got a Gunfixers gas plug in a CSS reliability kit.

The MDarms plug will allow you to adjust the amount of gas more precisely and help keep your gun gassed correctly. Get one, they are worth every penny.

Agreed, but if your gun is cycling low brass on setting 1 of the factory plug, it's not gonna hurt your gun. I would have gotten an MD Arms plug if I had known about it. I got a Gunfixers gas plug in a CSS reliability kit.

Agreed, it's unlikely the low brass will hurt. I would worry about high brass though.

Agreed, but if your gun is cycling low brass on setting 1 of the factory plug, it's not gonna hurt your gun.

I'm just anal about some things and want to see how lean I can run her. I don't run much cheap ammo (smells like shat) Just don't want to beat my gun up bad running all those heavy loads.

I think I'll pick one up and try it out.

Agreed, but if your gun is cycling low brass on setting 1 of the factory plug, it's not gonna hurt your gun.

I'm just anal about some things and want to see how lean I can run her. I don't run much cheap ammo (smells like shat) Just don't want to beat my gun up bad running all those heavy loads.

I think I'll pick one up and try it out.

View the V-plug on our site. There are some very good pics comparing the same gas block with a V-Plug and 2 different factory plugs. You will see a major difference.

Question of my own: I've got a 3 port s12, using the MD V plug, with polished bolt ( did it my self, not paulys) Since installing and polishing i can run the wally world bulk ammo out of my stock 5 rnd mag on position 5 flawlessly, but not at all with the MD 20, (having said that the MD20 runs slugs and buck excellent on setting 3, {would adding a port be over gassing?} ) Because using the stock 5 rnd i can cylcle the buck and slugs on setting 2 just fine.

Question of my own: I've got a 3 port s12, using the MD V plug, with polished bolt ( did it my self, not paulys) Since installing and polishing i can run the wally world bulk ammo out of my stock 5 rnd mag on position 5 flawlessly, but not at all with the MD 20, (having said that the MD20 runs slugs and buck excellent on setting 3, {would adding a port be over gassing?} ) Because using the stock 5 rnd i can cylcle the buck and slugs on setting 2 just fine.

You could try reducing the spring revolutions in the drum down to 2-2.5. I bet that will do the trick.

• Like 1

You could try reducing the spring revolutions in the drum down to 2-2.5. I bet that will do the trick.

I though I read somewhere that reducing the revoultions would make the drum unsuitable for higher loads......Maybe I'm asking for too much, but i'd like have my gun set us so that the only adjustment required when swaping ammo loads is the gas plug.

I though I read somewhere that reducing the revoultions would make the drum unsuitable for higher loads......Maybe I'm asking for too much, but i'd like have my gun set us so that the only adjustment required when swaping ammo loads is the gas plug.

You should try measuring your ports, if they are undersized adding a 4th SMALLER port or opening up the three wont over gas it. Personally I think overgassing is mostly a non issue, thats what the ADJUSTABLE gas plug is for.

Its not asking to much for your gun to work right, without changing anything but the gas setting.

You are correct reducing the tension on the drum is not recommmended for high power loads.

The drum should function just fine with bulk ammo, if it doesnt you should consider slicking up the action some more befor port work though. take a look at the carrier rails, that made a big diffrence in mine. you can profile the bottom of the carrier but you have to be careful not to remove too much.

I did all I could befor messing with the ports on my gun but sometimes thats all that will make it function 100%

Great imput. Kinda the way i was leaning. But that leads me to my next question: what exactly is the proper port size for a 3 port 19" barrel and what is the proper way to measure the barrel correctly (from where to where)?

You should try measuring your ports, if they are undersized adding a 4th SMALLER port or opening up the three wont over gas it. Personally I think overgassing is mostly a non issue, thats what the ADJUSTABLE gas plug is for.

Its not asking to much for your gun to work right, without changing anything but the gas setting.

You are correct reducing the tension on the drum is not recommmended for high power loads.

The drum should function just fine with bulk ammo, if it doesnt you should consider slicking up the action some more befor port work though. take a look at the carrier rails, that made a big diffrence in mine. you can profile the bottom of the carrier but you have to be careful not to remove too much.

I did all I could befor messing with the ports on my gun but sometimes thats all that will make it function 100%

You did, leave the drum at 3 revolutions...

Great imput. Kinda the way i was leaning. But that leads me to my next question: what exactly is the proper port size for a 3 port 19" barrel and what is the proper way to measure the barrel correctly (from where to where)?

3/32" and from the end of the chamber to the end of the barrel.