Gas Tube Will Not Budge

Just took delivery of my new Saiga two days ago. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet, so last night I thought I would try to familiarize myself with field-stripping it.

Everything was OK until I got to the gas tube. I lifted the lever on the side and tried everything I could to get the gas tube out. I tried moving the lever to different positions. Nothing. I tried tapping on the forearm. Nothing. It would not move, It didn't even come loose. (Yes. I removed the bolt carrier assembly)

How in the *&*&&%%^#^^% do I get this thing off?

Do I need to remove the forearm first?

Is it even necessary to remove the gas tube at all?

Sorry for the rant. Thank you for your help.

Just took delivery of my new Saiga two days ago. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet, so last night I thought I would try to familiarize myself with field-stripping it.

Everything was OK until I got to the gas tube. I lifted the lever on the side and tried everything I could to get the gas tube out. I tried moving the lever to different positions. Nothing. I tried tapping on the forearm. Nothing. It would not move, It didn't even come loose. (Yes. I removed the bolt carrier assembly)

AK platform= loose tolerances. You may have to play the release lever back and fourth a bit to find the sweet spot,AAND you may have to take a screwdriver to it and pry it off, dont worry about hurting it give it hell!!

Edited by Bean.223
  • Like 1

AK platform= loose tolerances. You may have to play the release lever back and fourth a bit to find the sweet spot,AAND you may have to take a screwdriver to it and pry it off, dont worry about hurting it give it hell!!

I can't even figure out where the head of the screwdriver should go to pry open the cover.

Pry from between the barrel and gas tube.

Usually once it gets removed a few times, it starts to get easier.

EDIT; Like Bean said above, you also have to line up the lever correctly for it to pop out. Prying on it while its misaligned, could possibly crush/dent the gas tube.

Edited by Mullet Man

i dont know if its all saigas but my Arsenal SGL21 is super right everywhere. now i can get the gas gube out with my hands but only after playing with it for a long time and still the lever to release the gas tube i still cannot move with my hands i have to use one of the slots in the cleaning kit for leverage

i dont know if its all saigas but my Arsenal SGL21 is super right everywhere. now i can get the gas gube out with my hands but only after playing with it for a long time and still the lever to release the gas tube i still cannot move with my hands i have to use one of the slots in the cleaning kit for leverage

Better that locking lever is a bit tight than a bit loose. Loose locking levers really annoy me, and could be rotated up accidentally.

Anyway, it looks like the OP's found a way to remove his rifle's gas tube already, but I'd like to share my favorite method to remove an extra tight fitting tube; rotate the locking lever up until you have a flat plane, (no obstruction to the tube moving up), then loop a zip tie down between the tube and the barrel.

Pull steadily up on that tie and the tube will pop off, without damaging any of your rifle's parts, even cosmetically. :smoke:

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

Anyway, it looks like the OP's found a way to remove his rifle's gas tube already, but I'd like to share my favorite method to remove an extra tight fitting tube; rotate the locking lever up until you have a flat plane, (no obstruction to the tube moving up), then loop a zip tie down between the tube and the barrel.

Pull steadily up on that tie and the tube will pop off, without damaging any of your rifle's parts, even cosmetically. :smoke:

This is a great idea and I'm going to use this method next time.

Thank you ALL for your great advise!