So I'm more of a rifle man, never really been able to hit much with a pistol. Still I appreciate a good handgun and picked up a Beretta 92FS Inox earlier this year. I took it out for the second time today, first time we had long waits between cease fires and I didn't take the time to check my groupings. This time I wanted to see what it could do and set up a few targets at 25 yards. Fired one mag on my first target and it was a few inches low, went to the second target and aimed a bit higher and this is what I got:

25yards.jpg

I count 14 of the 15 rounds fired there, not sure if the last round missed the paper or went through another hole. For me this is pretty good, but I'm not used to handguns, so is this what I should expect, is it any good, or should I be able to tighten up the grouping a little?

All in all loving the gun, its at 200 rounds now and I've not had a single issue, no FTEs, no FTFs, nothing but clean shooting.

• Like 1

Thats not bad, for what you say of your experience vs distance.

25yds is quite a long ways for a pistol. Try 5-8yds (15-25ft) and less on your next outing, think of scenarios involving your homes rooms and hallways. Its a more realistic distance for pistol use. Your groups should really tighten up and IMO that will help build confidence and comfort in use.

Edited by Mullet Man
25yds is quite a long ways for a pistol. Try 5-8yds (15-25ft) and less on your next outing, think of scenarios involving your homes rooms and hallways.Its a more realistic distance for pistol use.

I was a little surprised a lot of people set up short (not all the way out) on the pistol range, more than set thier targets at the full distance like I did. Its true 15-25' is a bit more realistic if I had to use it for home defense, my whole condo is only around 40' from end to end.

Your groups should really tighten up and IMO that will help build confidence and comfort in use.

I was resting my arms on this one. On target three I did a normal standing position and sped up my shots a bit, I still pretty much hit the paper, but the pattern widened out to take up the whole page. I'll keep practicing, need to pick up some more ammo first.

Thanks for the input guys, I always kinda wonder on my pistol accuracy, since I'm used to much tighter groups at longer ranges with a rifle.

The fact that anyone will always do better with a 16" + barrel is a given. Have someone else load your mag and insert a couple of snap caps randomly. Shoot standing offhand. This will give you an indication of flinch and other issues. There are targets in the "Free Targets" section that will indicate whether you are pulling right or left due to trigger finger position or any number of other indicators. Have fun and analyze your shooting. It is great fun.

Edited by 1911

I shoot my pistols at 25. Yes, closer is more realistic, but, if you are accurate at 25, you're dead nuts at 10.

However, that doesn't work if you're off the paper. Start close, then work your way out. Work on slow and

rapid fire.

I agree on the CLOSE then FAR theory..

I tried shooting my new Sig at 25 yards out the box.. and all shots were LOW.. (combo of new sight picture and me)..

Moved target back to like 7 yards and got all in the 8" shoot-n-c...

I have now figured out the correct sight picture so my next outing should be better..

Going to refine @ 10 yards and then move back to 25 yards.. :killer:

I think you did real good there for the limited time you have had.

Albert