Does this started conversion look ok?

Hi everyone, longtime lurker thinking about joining the club!

post-33472-0-17948600-1303957864_thumb.jpg

Found this for sale. The owner says Tapco stock and grip. I really don't care if it's ideal, as long as it's functional. Apparently it has a few scratches-not a big deal to me either. Price is ~700.

It looks to me like the grip is farther back than a normal conversion. Is this strange? I am a bit new to this. I know the trigger can be moved forward, but will it work ok as is? Or should I just buy a stock one?

thanks!

The grip / trigger is further back because its NOT a converted gun. Thats just a cheap tapco conversion look alike stock. The grip is actually mounted to the stock in that setup. It should function ok, and in todays market $700 is an OKish price. id probably hold out to find a straight out of the box stock saiga though.

This is how a REAL converted S-12 looks. My gun...

post-28974-0-36806600-1303958400_thumb.jpg

Edited by slostang

The grip / trigger is further back because its NOT a converted gun. Thats just a cheap tapco conversion look alike stock. The grip is actually mounted to the stock in that setup.

Ahh I see. I think I'll just wait...who knows maybe the price will come back down. I like to gamble.

thanks

Not converted. Thats why it is a non-converted price. The trigger needs to be moved a couple inches forward and a pistol grip installed where the trigger is now currently placed. Its a cheap way to have a Saiga12 with a pistol grip tho, and you can always convert later when you have the cash.

Tlatoni,

Thats exactly what mine looks like atm, bought it NIB and installed the tapco stock/grip and Surefire 10rd mags. Left it that way for 2.5 years before I got around to decideing to do an actual conversion.

Oh I wish I had known what I was getting into when I started the conversion, this will EASILY become the most expensive gun I own when I'm finished and I own a few other REALLY nice items.

Base gun

Ace 8.5 skel stock

Ace push button folding unit

Css internal reciever block

Tromix FCG

Krebs enhanced safty

Axis pin retaining plate

Krebs enhanced BHO

Ambi extended mag release

Cobra vented gas tube cover

Billit AR-15 style trigger guard

Mako Ergo pistol grip

Mako Ergo Vert grip

HK sights front and rear

Burris fast fire dot scope

Saiga12 mount for fast fire with steel sides

Custom made Fuglystick guard

Custom made Alumilight barrel shroud

Bolt on Tromix chargeing handel

SGM Saber Boss muzzle break

STILL NEED:

Sling mounts

Sling

Bolt polished and reprofiled

Gun Duracoated to " uniform " the various finishes on parts

MD20 drum

Promag 12 round drums

Likely a few odds and ends in both those groups that I'm forgetting just sitting here. I gave 500.00 for my Saiga a few years ago, I'll promise ya I'll have near double that in parts on it when I'm finished, I'll have near that again in mags to feed her... and this is all for what I personally would call a basic conversion (other than bolt work ) with myself doing all the work ( other than bolt work and duracoat )

At the end of the day, I'll be happy with her no doubt, she'll turn heads and sling lead... that 700.00 non converted you linked... will serve you solidly for your lifetime if you did nothing else to it... ever... but I wouldn't count on it, It takes a stronger man than me to see how well they dress out, and decide not to do it anyway.

As for me and my house, We will serve the Saiga.

Waylon

( oh please oh please oh please let the rest of my parts show up soon! )

Edited by datrowl

For 700 that's not a bad deal unfortunately get it and restore it and you can sell that stock set that's better then converting a stock one and not being able to get rid of stock parts. Here's a pic of when I had the restored version of that stock set

post-23297-0-08506800-1304000707_thumb.jpg

Edited by kindapointless

Normal, no, UNUSUAL?.... not so much eithor..

VERY FEW Saigas LIKE low power shells, but with very minor parts and no tools can be coaxed to run them.. Assumeing the test fireing on low power shells was done on the proper gas setting to start with and not on setting 1 which is for highbrass, buckshot, slugs etc.

Usually easily fixed by adding a new gas plug and possibly a booster puck, can also go to a low power spring. If that dosent fix the issue it gets a bit more complicated and a polish and reprofile job on the bolt and carrier might be in order.

All of this assumeing you've FIRST properly checked the gas ports and have enough ports unobstructed to run the gun with at all, if not... unconverted it would be a candidate for warrenty work.

Warrenty work wont cost a thing but time,

Plug and Puck and spring under 50.00 if you shop around

Polish job if you cant do it yourself with a dremal useing the tutorial on this websight send to Pauly or Cobra... both do that work and both are very respected members of the forums.

Waylon

neither of mine liked low power at first one I shot 300 slugs out of the other I polished the bolt and just worked it with valve laping compound. Now they will shoot anything but win bulk pack but that's okay remingtons are cheaper and work wonderfully . The Saiga 12 usually needs some tweaking but in the end nothin else comes close. The first time you dump an md 20 its all worth it. Trust me if you aren't grinning like your stupid you had a heart attack halfway through and are dead all the little issues just make it sweeter in the end. If ur any where around pa I will let u try mine

Edited by kindapointless