Brake Effectiveness

There are quite a few muzzle brakes that are under $40. There are all types of cage style and prongs and slotted and slanted. Which kind really gives you good performance for your money? Theres so much more I want to do to my saiga, I really want to keep it cheapish and for it to work. Im sure alot of you guys have them, which ones are good and which dont do much?

This is a US-made AK-74 type 24x1.5mm RH muzzle brake made for 7.62x39, (as opposed to a foreign-made AK-74 brake made for 5.45x39). This is the same design that the Russians use for the AK-103 The faster you fire, the flatter it keeps your muzzle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBMm4tsPi18

It's obviously no flash hider. :D

• Like 1

There are quite a few muzzle brakes that are under $40. There are all types of cage style and prongs and slotted and slanted. Which kind really gives you good performance for your money? Theres so much more I want to do to my saiga, I really want to keep it cheapish and for it to work. Im sure alot of you guys have them, which ones are good and which dont do much?

The only reason I see to have a brake is to control your muzzle from dancing all over the place when rapid firing. Plenty of people just want something that looks menacing but don't really care if it helps their shooting in any way. Hitting the target over and over again quickly is what I want one for. Besides practice, it really helps to have a well designed functioning brake. The one in the video posted works very well and is designed for the larger 24mm muzzle threads. I also seen some real mil surplus 5.45 brakes for less than $50 on the sale threads but because they are foreign made it adds 1 part you may not want legally speaking in terms of the 10 parts rule and they probably should be drilled open a bit for the bigger bullet passing through. The pws brakes are the only other decent functioning brakes I think but they cost more than $40 new and thread on to 14mm threading unless you want some other thread pattern on your muzzle. On the other hand, if I wanted to hide some flash, I would get a noise suppressor(silencer) but once again cheap will not work for this route either. A non-functioning brake is nothing more than a hood ornament.

It's not mine. Its just some video on youtube.

Look no flash or blast. You only hear the sonic crack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etgzarL4ZD4&feature=related

Edited by my762buzz
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I want this guys money, That thing costs almost 1/2 of my yearly earnings. I think the slot brake will be my first pick. As long as my barrel is threaded I can buy something else in the future.

I've got the J-tac and it works well on my x39. Stops muzzle rise pretty good, and no recoil at all.

The quality 74's seem to be the #1 pick, but you want to make sure it's made to original specs... avoid the cheap $20 repros.