How to know if there be threads under there?

possibly.. dimples, non-stepped chamber, notch cut for the AK handguards under the factory HG..

you can also use a BRIGHT light and plastic dental PIC to just check in the muzzle..

post up a GOOD pic and get a consensus..

if you gonna do it anyway..

just use a GOOD pipe cutter and go back 5/8" from the END of the muzzle and cut .. most AK brakes are 9/16" deep..

get the 'sleeve' off and see if you got GLUE and threads.. most use a wire brush to get the glue off..

Hope this helps..

Al

I am posting the best pictures I can.

IMG_6118.jpg

IMG_6119.jpg

If it turns out that there ARE threads under there, I will get the pipe cutter and cut where you have suggested. I may not go with a traditional AK break. Not too sure as of yet. May just go with the traditional slant break. Don't know yet.

Edited by davecustommade

Possibly.. Dimples, non-stepped chamber, notch cut for the AK handguards under the factory HG..

This.

You cut and pray, then you might or might not have threads.

And this.

And DOM being 09' and later.

I got lucky, DOM early 09', dimples, no step, notches, round trunnion and ........

100_9073.jpg

This ----> "...DOM early 09', dimples, no step, notches, round trunnion..."

How do I find this out for my rifle? Not sure what/where I am to look at. I DEFINITELY do not want to cut, only to find no threads. If no threads, I would rather keep it as it is. Prefer threaded, though.

Edited by davecustommade

dimples are on the side of the reciever where the mag goes in. Chamber step is the inside of the chamber where the bullet goes in and is locked into place if you only see one step then it has no chamber step, if it has two then you have a chamber step, take your handguard off and you will be able to tell if there are flatspots under the handguard these are the notches. Look directly behind the barrel inside the chamber, the metal directly behind the barrel is either flat or round. hope this helps

correct and looking at your photo.. yours doesn't (looks like mine did).. I'd order the 14 TAT threading kit before I cut the shroud.

if you buy the kit and don't wreck it you can sell it on here for 80% and also recoup some of your funds.. :smoke:

Al

Edited by YWHIC