Picked up my new Imported .223 today!

Picked up my new .223 today! I ordered it from Classic Arms for $349.00 plus shipping! I was surprised that the new importer was TGI Knox TN. The original RAA was blocked out like we have been hearing others talk about, but the new import marking was laser etched just behind the sight mount on the other side. Not as ugly as some of the photos of the other importer markings I have seen. It does have dimples, but nothing that says legion. It's an 09 date. I'm so happy now the wife and have his and her Saiga .223's! The letter of accuracy is 125mm. Now it's going to kill me until we go to the range.

Really easy. Make sure you're FFL sends his inof or already has it on file with them, or they may cancel the order. I had my FFL send in his stuff, placed the order online, and it shipped with a couple of days.

Only hick up was that the online order confirmation stated pick up instead of ship . . .So I called and spoke with a very nice woman that picked up the phone fairly quickly. She told me the order was fine and would ship to my FFL, and that the online order systems has a glitch that always says pick up. She went on further to say that they know if you're out of state that it'll have to be shipped. Easy fix.

I'll have no trouble buying from them again someday.

Im thinking of ordering one tomorrow. Are they easy to deal with?

ok I just ordered one from them. $349 seems to be the best deal around it seems like. I think they are closed because I called them 3 times with no answere. But I hope everything goes as smooth as it did with you since Its my first online order and all. How much was shipping? They dont provide that in check out.

Shipping ran about $23.00 to my FFL.

Forgot to mention that Classic Arms does not charge a credit card fee.

ok I just ordered one from them. $349 seems to be the best deal around it seems like. I think they are closed because I called them 3 times with no answere. But I hope everything goes as smooth as it did with you since Its my first online order and all. How much was shipping? They dont provide that in check out.

hell ya. How can you beat this deal. Money well spent. A badass russian beauty for under $380. I probably wont hear from them untill monday but I cant wait untill I get it. I already have an S-12 but, I dont regret it at all, spending $600 always makes me cringe haha. Thanks for posting liberty because I would of bought from CSS for $379 plus shipping which would of put me over $400.

I did a lot of searching for prices and they were the best I could find. I'll get some photos of mine up later today to show the import markings. It's raining pretty good here so no range time this week end. :-(

I found a used 06 at a local dealer a couple of weeks ago in bone stock form and the dealer wanted $600.00 with nothing extra. I would have loved to do some local business, but not that kind of price. Looks like some places haven't figured out that the Obama taking office scare is pretty much over and that prices have been falling on the overly inflated semi auto black gun market.

Now I just have to decide how I want to set this one up. Pretty sure I won't move the trigger. I kinda like the if it isn't broke don't fix it theory. I also like being able to put the monte carlo stock back on to tame it down in the event that laws change for the worse.

I found a used 06 at a local dealer a couple of weeks ago in bone stock form and the dealer wanted $600.00 with nothing extra. I would have loved to do some local business, but not that kind of price. Looks like some places haven't figured out that the Obama taking office scare is pretty much over and that prices have been falling on the overly inflated semi auto black gun market.

Rumor at the gunstores is that they stopped shipping all Saigas (rifles and shotguns) into the U.S. and what people are finding is what's left.

Edited by Whiskey

I kinda like the if it isn't broke don't fix it theory. I also like being able to put the monte carlo stock back on to tame it down in the event that laws change for the worse.

That is fine, but just remember that the original Kalashnikov design was the un-broken, and the "sporterizing" was the unnecessary fix.

• Like 1

I don't disagree with you, but it was all factory work so I'm going to stick with it.

I kinda like the if it isn't broke don't fix it theory. I also like being able to put the monte carlo stock back on to tame it down in the event that laws change for the worse.

That is fine, but just remember that the original Kalashnikov design was the un-broken, and the "sporterizing" was the unnecessary fix.

Since the RAA import was etched out and a new TGI was added I'd say they are coming in on the last boat. Been seeing 20 guage Saiga on gunbroker for sale new and those have been hard to find for a while until the last few weeks. I think the rumors are false and are being used to push prices up.

Rumor at the gunstores is that they stopped shipping all Saigas (rifles and shotguns) into the U.S. and what people are finding is what's left.

So are you planning on converting her or leaving it stock? I'm sure you can get tighter groups than 125 mm after a PG conversion with a G2 trigger. Mine listed a 102mm accuracy and I have shot around 2.5 MOA with it at 50 yards.

Edited by MrSaiga223

Planning on leaving the trigger in stock config. I have a Saiganov stock coming for her, and scope mount for my red dot. We'll see how see does and then go from there. I know I can tune her up if I need to, and at lest I know where my starting point is, that helps to dial things in.

So are you planning on converting her or leaving it stock? I'm sure you can get tighter groups than 125 mm after a PG conversion with a G2 trigger. Mine listed a 102mm accuracy and I have shot around 2.5 MOA with it at 50 yards.

Planning on leaving the trigger in stock config. I have a Saiganov stock coming for her, and scope mount for my red dot. We'll see how see does and then go from there. I know I can tune her up if I need to, and at lest I know where my starting point is, that helps to dial things in.

My 223 came with a grouping of 87mm according to the factory spec sheet. Shot excellent in stock form but really shines after the restoration. My 14 yo daughter took a coyote with it last winter at 225 yards +/-.

My 223 came with a grouping of 87mm according to the factory spec sheet. Shot excellent in stock form but really shines after the restoration. My 14 yo daughter took a coyote with it last winter at 225 yards +/-.

That's awesome!

O ya finally picked it up today! Its an 09 as well. Im so pumped to start converting it. I compared it to my norinco mak 90 and even though they are both AKs they are very different ( im talking about receiver, barrel, front sight post, bolt and carrier, and rivet pattern). But she feels solid and well made. Im digging the factory handgaurd too. Now I need to order $300 in parts haha.

O ya finally picked it up today! Its an 09 as well. Im so pumped to start converting it. I compared it to my norinco mak 90 and even though they are both AKs they are very different ( im talking about receiver, barrel, front sight post, bolt and carrier, and rivet pattern). But she feels solid and well made. Im digging the factory handgaurd too. Now I need to order $300 in parts haha.

Glad to hear that it came in!

Did they say why it took as long as it did?

So are the import marks the same as mine?

I ordered it on a friday, they took payment on monday, shipped it on tuesday, and it would of arrived on saturday but UPS doesnt ship on weekends so I had to wait untill today. It was just bad timing.

The import marks are identical as yours. The gun looks identical as your pictures you posted. I plan on converting pretty soon since I hate the factory FCG. I want to make it an AR/AK hybrid with furniture and mag adapter n' all. This is my first 223 chambered rifle so I was amazed on the different ammo selection my local cabelas carried. I bought all different kinds of ammo from Herters 223 to American eagle tracers. I should be at the range within a week so ill post a range report. I have been sitting on my couch with it in my lap just starring . I have problems haha.

I too have not been so excited about getting a new firearms as I was when the new Saiga came in. Seems funny that a gun that is so affordable can be so exciting.

What was the factory accuracy rating on it?

I ordered it on a friday, they took payment on monday, shipped it on tuesday, and it would of arrived on saturday but UPS doesnt ship on weekends so I had to wait untill today. It was just bad timing.

The import marks are identical as yours. The gun looks identical as your pictures you posted. I plan on converting pretty soon since I hate the factory FCG. I want to make it an AR/AK hybrid with furniture and mag adapter n' all. This is my first 223 chambered rifle so I was amazed on the different ammo selection my local cabelas carried. I bought all different kinds of ammo from Herters 223 to American eagle tracers. I should be at the range within a week so ill post a range report. I have been sitting on my couch with it in my lap just starring . I have problems haha.

I plan on converting. My S12's g2 trigger is awesome. I polished all the contact points in the fcg and it is like butter. Almost no take up and a very light clean break. Its a night and day difference.

Sounds like the trigger is pretty typical on yours. The triggers on the stock Saiga seem comparable to most factory built G.I. single stage triggers on AR15's. I have built many of them and my triggers are better than most factory stock triggers, but I did mild polishing on most of them to help them out. Something you don't get with factory single stage triggers. If you do a mild polish on the stock trigger you could possibly improve it.

If you're not mechanical you do the same thing that some Cowboy action shooters that want to do a trigger job on the cheap is to do a toothpaste tirgger job. All you do is put some toothpaste in the areas that you want to smooth out and run the action several hundred times. You'd need a snap cap dry fire round to prevent wear or damage on the fire pin and bolt. The toothpaste is a very, very mild abrasive so it will polish things it just takes time. Then clean up is fairly easy.

Same markings on mine. Dimples too. The stock trigger is smooth, light take up, then stops and gets firm, then has a bit more to go and it fires. Not sure if that's common or better for stock?

I will be converting mine. I will be leaving the front fore grip though, I like how it extends all the way to the gasport. I always burned my hands on my friends norinco because I waned to grip out further than the grip went to. When you reach further out you take some of the felt weight off of your left hand due to the leverage advantage. I could go with the tapco fore grip but I like how the factory one looks.

Everything on my rifle is rock solid, no wiggle at all. This is by far the best built AK I've ever touched. Mine has a round trunnion which from what I read was seen mostly on the earlier (pre-06) 223's... Mine has the 09 stamp though.

Only thing I don't have planned out is the grip. I like the Israeli grip, but it's not us made so that would add to the foreign parts count.

The us palm and hogue grips would be my next choice. Of course I've never felt any of them...

Well when you do the conversion you'll have a chance to polish the trigger assembly and that should improve it for you. I myself am keeping the trigger stock. I shade tree gunsmith a lot, and have built many AR15' from the ground up, but I like the Saiga just fine as is, other than putting on a Saiganov stock and red dot. I may buy another just to convert, but for now I'm happy! :D

I will be converting mine. I will be leaving the front fore grip though, I like how it extends all the way to the gasport. I always burned my hands on my friends norinco because I waned to grip out further than the grip went to. When you reach further out you take some of the felt weight off of your left hand due to the leverage advantage. I could go with the tapco fore grip but I like how the factory one looks.

Everything on my rifle is rock solid, no wiggle at all. This is by far the best built AK I've ever touched. Mine has a round trunnion which from what I read was seen mostly on the earlier (pre-06) 223's... Mine has the 09 stamp though.

Only thing I don't have planned out is the grip. I like the Israeli grip, but it's not us made so that would add to the foreign parts count.

The us palm and hogue grips would be my next choice. Of course I've never felt any of them...

I have the molot grip from MDarms on my saiga 12. It is by far, the best feeling grip under $20. They look good and feel good. I am either going to put it on my 223 or get a Magpull MIAD AR grip.