My new SIG P238 SAS Pistol

During the course of the last four or more months I have conducted a great deal of online research, identifying a concealed carry piece for myself. I settled on the Sig Sauer P238 .380 ACP pistol, specifically their "SIG Anti-Snag" (SAS) model (Jeez, SIG offers something to the tune of fourteen different models for the P238). The SAS model "has gone through a radical dehorning process resulting in an ultra smooth, snag free profile that’s ideal for concealed carry" (such is what the Sig Sauer website advertises).

Anyway, "yea" it's not a friggen .45 or .40 S&W, or even a 9mm, etc., etc., blah, blah, blah. I didn't post this thread to commence a dialog or discussion of what caliber makes for a better or adequate self defense handgun. So please save that sort of discussion for another forum thread. . . but it's a free country (or so we'd like to believe) and this IS a very "free speech" forum, so if you're inclined to be an asshat and share your views on defensive handgun calibers, have at it. :haha:

Back on topic. . . I am well aware via my research, that since its introduction to the public a few years back, the SIG P238 has been plagued with issues. Reportedly, some folks received what they believed to be lemons, and unquestionably (if one believes what they read) it seems that Sig Sauer essentially used the consumer market place as a testing bed of sorts, by releasing the pistol for purchase without having worked out all the bugs with it. In spite of the negative feedback on this handgun, I personally feel it fits my requirements perfectly for concealed carry, and I made sure to procure a new pistol that was manufactured after January 2011 (all P238's manufactured after on or about December of last year, have a thicker slide and all come with the improved flat recoil spring, 3rd gen magazines, etc.). My P238's birthday was 5 April 2011.

I'm a tinkerer when it comes to my firearms, so the first thing I did was to remove the OEM polymer trigger blade and swap it for a custom stainless steel blade. Naturally, I also replaced the grips with a set of custom African Blackwood grips having a skull motif. Since this is my concealed carry personal defense firearm, that's likely to be the extend of any tinkering that I will do. The only item I am presently waiting on, is the Crossbreed 'MiniTuck' holster which I ordered for her three weeks ago. But waiting provides me the opportunity to become fully familiar AND confident with this lil' gun out at my local firing range, breaking her in with several hundred rounds through her barrel.

BLUF: So far, I am very, very pleased with my decision on this purchase. :super:

post-4853-0-23016600-1305743006_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary

I like it- the one thing is I probably wouldn't put a skull on my self defense weapon, just in case you ever had to use it and it were to be examined this might not go in your favor. Again, theres no legal reason not to, but I feel like it's sort of asking for trouble.

I like it- the one thing is I probably wouldn't put a skull on my self defense weapon, just in case you ever had to use it and it were to be examined this might not go in your favor. Again, theres no legal reason not to, but I feel like it's sort of asking for trouble.

I fully understand your meaning.

Nonetheless, the skull grips are staying (for now anyway).

~Gary

I don't want... I NEED the skull it's propped on :super:

The pistol is very cool too.

+1, cool grips, but I'd hate for something so nonsense to have weight on anything like that in an emergency situation, which is why these grips aren't currently on my EDC:

IMG00022.jpg

I have one in Nitron with the Rosewood checker grips and it's been great from the get go. I need to get some of the new extended mags. I have mine loaded with Buffalo Bore hollow points and FMJ's staggered. They have fed flawlessly in test at the range. Cool grips.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The wife got one, she LOVES it, hers is the Blackwood. After the newer models came out with the lighter trigger, she had me tear hers down and lighten it up a bit, after that it was a whole new gun.

I rather like it as well. I mean, I'm not going to trade in my gov't 1911 for it but if I ever get the cash for one, I'll get it. Until then, I'll have to just wait until she's not looking...

• Like 1