Gas system question

After a day of shooting, a friend of mine was cleaning his S-12 and discovered that his puck was so saturated with filth that it had stuck in the gas bore to the point where he had to literally pound it out. It started us wondering . . . if the puck becomes tight in the gas bore due to filth or even heat expansion (if that's possible). Could the stuck puck be causing the damage to the OP rod when they make contact and the puck resisting movement? Does the OP rod actually make contact with the piston itself? He measured the gas bore and the piston and the difference was only .003". Could heat expansion and/or addition to the filth cause the puck to bind in the bore and cause the rod to bend or break?

Yes the puck definitely makes contact with the op rod during cycling. Look at the backside of the puck and you will see a small circular mark left by the end of the op rod. This is how it works. It is not likely that any damage to the op rod resulted from a dirty gas system. These guns will run right up to the point where it gets so stuck in there it won't move at all. I have seen carbon / crud wafers pounded out that were like mini pucks themselves...lol.

• Like 2

Yes the puck definitely makes contact with the op rod during cycling. Look at the backside of the puck and you will see a small circular mark left by the end of the op rod. This is how it works. It is not likely that any damage to the op rod resulted from a dirty gas system. These guns will run right up to the point where it gets so stuck in there it won't move at all. I have seen carbon / crud wafers pounded out that were like mini pucks themselves...lol.

+1 Cobra! Also for the original poster: Im trying something new with my puck. I got a can of Hoppes Moly Spray and coated my puck with it, so next time i go out shooting, im going to see if it makes any difference with sticking issues, but like Cobra said, these guns are tough as nails!

I also coat all my AK pistons with Moly coating and it really helps prevent "cakeup" from happening...lol

Edited by RoughRider666

Has anyone polished their gas puck? just wondering because id probably do that before trying to coat it changing the tolerance so drastically. My example of this is like when you polish high performance or any engine exhaust valves in a motor carbon build up is highly reduced because the surface is more smooth and carbon has a harder time bonding to it.I wouldn't go sanding it either! jmho

Edited by OBITUARY

The guys at MD Arms stated that they investigated this thoroughly and, whereas a Teflon coat helped the most, the coating made very little difference in the efficiency or performance of the weapon. There are already some Teflon coated pucks out there I believe as well. Perhaps others could chime in on this?