Thinking about a PTR32 7.62x39

What a coincidence. . . I just ordered a PTR-32 KFR from Atlantic Firearms just last week. It's projected to arrive at my FFL Dealer on 7 June, and I've already lined up several goodies and accessories for it.

All the research I've conducted during the course of the last year plus (yea. . . I've been sitting on the proverbial fence for a while, deciding whether or not to buy one) on both the PTR-91 and PTR-32 was generally favorable, but there does exist some negative press on it (as I believe, with all firearms. . . you have to dig through all the crap yourself and decide for yourself, what's reasonably true and what's BS). Indisputably it is a "heavier" rifle than its competitors, but that doesn't bother me personally.

Anyway, I'll know more once I physically receive the rifle and take it out to the firing range. Anything else I might convey is speculation based on hearsay. I have lined up Bill Springfield to perform a trigger job on the rifle's trigger pack. For $59.00 which includes return shipping, he tweaks the trigger to break at 4.5 lbs, and all but completely eliminates trigger creep. Such are the laudable reports about his work on the H&K G3 clone rifles. Reportedly, the PTR rifles out of the box, don't have the greatest triggers; they are rather heavy.

You can ferret out a lot of information for yourself by visiting the HKPRO.com forum, and by access the "HK CLONE TALK" subforum.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

~Gary

Edited by Gary

AFAIK, none of the PTR series has chrome lined barrels which has kept me from going that route, I had considered one in 308.

I personally think its a bit expensive, seeing you can get Arsenal rifles for less than that, and the AK system is tried and true, where all of the PTRs are a mix of new, and mil surp, again, which made me wonder about the ultimate quality.

And some have had issues because of incorrectly cut grooves in the chambers.

The ones in x 39 make sense because you can use existing mags.

I already have a FAL, and I found it redundant to acquire another 308 "System" just to have it.

I would research it more if I were you, especially comparing what parts differ from a standard HK 91, and see if its going to be a bitch to fix in the future if there are any special parts.

Other than that, PTR seems to be a well regarded vendor.

They are fussy on which mags work in them, so the ones you have may not work. Bill Springfield did my trigger too, & it's well worth the cash. Check out HK PRO, Clone section before you fork out the dough. You may change your mind. I do have a 5 yr old .308 gun they made, & it's great. GARY N4KVE

No, They are very well made and I have had no probs with these guns. The issue with chrome lining is a non-issue and should never be one unless you plan on going into combat with corrosive ammo in the jungle. Of course they are best as SBR's as these 3 are. The 32 PDW at the right is really a 52 PDW made from a British Enfield G3 kit the MP5K PDW is a Turkish MKE.The Arsenal circle 10 mags work the best, no feed problems and the chambers have the correct 12 flutes cut to proper depth.

IMG_0188-1.jpg

Edited by U.S Praetorian
  • 2 months later...

I would tell you to keep your money for something besides a PTR 32. The PTR quality is not up to par in my opinion. I've seen cracked boltheads and trunions. I also seen on HKPRO clone talk around a month ago that a guy sent in his weapon for headspace repair and it came back with what appeared to be a ground bolthead,

(Grinding the back of the bolthead is an old trick that Century did on the old Cetme rifles to get correct space.)

Just buy an AK. How do I know all of this? I made a prototype of this weapon before PTR. In fact, I still have have the direct number for Jose Dias of PTR around here somewhere.

These are pics of my second prototype.

100_0997.jpg

100_0957.jpg

Some old video of Ghilliebear shooting my 2nd prototype

Edited by ARMOR

Well ARMOR, I continue to humbly disagree. I've had my PTR-32 for several months now, put over 1K rounds through it, and she's functioned perfectly and I can detect no physical signs of stress or potential failure to any of the rifle's components. But I'm not bashing on your opinion.

BLUF: One can visit and search through any online firearms forum or gunblog site and find negative comments about absolutely every single manufactured firearm. What you've conveyed in that regard concerning HKPRO Clone Talk (to which I am a member) is no surprise.

:rolleyes:

BLUF: One can visit and search through any online firearms forum or gunblog site and find negative comments about absolutely every single manufactured firearm. What you've conveyed in that regard concerning HKPRO Clone Talk (to which I am a member) is no surprise.

:rolleyes:

That's true.

Well ARMOR, I continue to humbly disagree. I've had my PTR-32 for several months now, put over 1K rounds through it, and she's functioned perfectly and I can detect no physical signs of stress or potential failure to any of the rifle's components. But I'm not bashing on your opinion.

Been mulling over the PTR-32 myself. The main thing holding me back is I'm afraid this thing weighs a ton. How much does yours weigh in at? Do you have standard furniture on it or a sliding rear stock?

Edited by Jpanzer

Been mulling over the PTR-32 myself. The main thing holding me back is I'm afraid this thing weighs a ton. How much does yours weigh in at? Do you have standard furniture on it or a sliding rear stock?

Sans magazine and optic, my PTR-32 comes in at approximately 10 lbs, courtesy of my bathroom scale (I just went upstairs and weighed it while holding it, then weighed myself without the rifle in hand; subtracted the difference). So, it's definitely not light, but I wouldn't characterize its weight as a ton either. :lolol:

CIMG4644.jpg

Was afraid of that. :(

The AK I am considering selling to fund the PTR-32 weighs about 7 lbs loaded. My full length FAL probably weighs 10 lbs loaded. I would be running the PTR as a carbine, not a main battle rifle and would like to put a HK sliding rear stock on it - and that would likely add another 2 lbs.

A 12 pound carbine isn't what I need...