I had water get into my basement and one of the South African ammo cases I bought from AIM Surplus which is sealed from the top had water enter from the bottom. The South Africans had holes in the case bottom. I'm going to use US surplus ammo cans from now on.

The ammo did not fire and I want to know if anyone else had the same thing happen to him and if I can dry it our and still use it. Is the ammo salvageable or it it a lost case?

Try drying it out in your fireplace!!!:lolol:

Actually, I have no idea, but personally, once ammo acts funky I Do Not mess with it. A new case of ammo is cheaper than any kind of doctors visit!!

Throw it away. A lot of ranges actually have places to dispose of bad ammo, you should use that if you have access to them. You don't want to mess with explosive powders that have gotten wet and dried out. It can have dramatic effects on the burning rate.

MilSpec ammo is usually sealed pretty well, so that's odd that you lost it unless it was soaking for months. That's what the red paint on Russian ammo is there for.

US ammo cans are not a bad idea, also consider using dunnage of some sort to keep it off the floor. I bought a cheap ass bakers rack from Sears to hold my commie surplus ammo (wood with spam cans inside).

Would it be possible to pull the bullets out of the casings so the OP could reload them with fresh powder? I don't reload yet so I don't know if it'd be possible. Maybe the primers would be bad too?

You already tried it and it didn't fire. Cut your losses and trash it. Take precautions in the future so you don't loose more. I had a short recoil with brand new 9mm Winchester one time that could have been catastrophic had I not caught it and not squeezed the trigger one more time. Had to knock the slug out of the barrel of my G19 with a cleaning rod. The same could happen with wet powder.

Edited by MT Predator

Toss it at a proper disposal sight and get some fresh ammo, once moisture gets into the round it's done for. If it does go off it could squib on you or cause hang fires which are no fun at all. A case of ammo is cheaper than a new gun or a run to the E.R. if it causes a failure to the firearm. Also look into the plastic ammo cans from Cabelas as another storing alternative. They're a hell of a lot lighter, waterproof and they won't get rusty if they do come around water very often. Throw a few dry packs in there and you'll be set.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to dispose of the ammo. Some of the ammo was a thousand .22s and a couple hundred 7.62x39 Russian ammo. Apparently the Russians don't seal their ammo like the US military does. Mine was either Brown Bear or Wolf and wasn't sealed. I'll pull the bullets and dispose of the rounds.

I'm also going to the lumber yard to get some of the plastic wood boards and raise the ammo off the floor so this doesn't happen again.