I agree that the low-cap is a major draw back.

I also think that a $5 AOW stamp doesn't sound quite right.

After thought. Mossberg has really been swinging for the fences with some of the crazy stuff they make lately. (Chainsaw, Roadblocker, etc.)

After thought. Mossberg has really been swinging for the fences with some of the crazy stuff they make lately. (Chainsaw, Roadblocker, etc.)

If I remember correctly making your own AOW is a $200 dollar tax stamp. For instance if you want to be able to put a forward vertical grip on a AR pistol in California then you would need to make it an AOW, send in the $200 bucks, wait on the stamp. However transferring the AOW to another party after the original stamp is already payed for is $5. I hope that clarifies it for you. The company building these (Serbu) already payed for the original $200 stamp to be able to manufacture it. That's why the price is so much higher than a normal shotgun. So in essence you are paying the $200 extra through the inflated price of the shotgun.

You could always create your own AOW also, so long as you get the shotgun from the factory with a pistol grip, and it has never had a stock attached to it, and mail in the check to the ATF. Whether you are purchasing or building an AOW you will need to do one of two things: get your CLEO to sign off on it or create a trust/corporation and buy it on behalf of the trust/corporation. AOW stuff gets tricky depending on where you live and if you can get the CLEO to sign off on it. For some reason if you buy it on behalf of a trust or corporation there is a loophole where you do not need to get the CLEO to sign off on it. It's very handy in California where there is no way in hell the local Cheif Law Enforcement Officer is EVER going to sign off on it.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly making your own AOW is a $200 dollar tax stamp. For instance if you want to be able to put a forward vertical grip on a AR pistol in California then you would need to make it an AOW, send in the $200 bucks, wait on the stamp. However transferring the AOW to another party after the original stamp is already payed for is $5. I hope that clarifies it for you. The company building these (Serbu) already payed for the original $200 stamp to be able to manufacture it. That's why the price is so much higher than a normal shotgun. So in essence you are paying the $200 extra through the inflated price of the shotgun.

Yep. Which means that for the same price you could have a shotgun that CAN have a stock attached, a SBS. That is, if they are allowed in your state. I would personally pass for $700. I have a couple pump SBSs that are pretty short but they are box fed.

For some reason if you buy it on behalf of a trust or corporation there is a loophole where you do not need to get the CLEO to sign off on it. It's very handy in California where there is no way in hell the local Cheif Law Enforcement Officer is EVER going to sign off on it.

I wouldn't call it a loophole.......is that like the gun show loophole?

Yep. Which means that for the same price you could have a shotgun that CAN have a stock attached, a SBS. That is, if they are allowed in your state. I would personally pass for $700. I have a couple pump SBSs that are pretty short but they are box fed.

For some reason if you buy it on behalf of a trust or corporation there is a loophole where you do not need to get the CLEO to sign off on it. It's very handy in California where there is no way in hell the local Cheif Law Enforcement Officer is EVER going to sign off on it.

I wouldn't call it a loophole.......is that like the gun show loophole?

The second quote is mine but you put K.T.'s name to it. But I totally think it's a loophole. Just MHO though. Not saying that's a bad thing. If you want an AOW you need to have the CLEO sign off on it, or you can pay $300 or $500 or whatever bucks and have a lawyer well versed in NFA trusts draw one up for you and get it without the signature. Not because of a law in particular. Just because of the way things are set up right now in the application process. I really doubt that this will last forever, though I hope it does. If I had the cash right now to open up an NFA trust and get the Saiga 12 AOW better believe I would but it is cost prohibitive for me at this point. Plus I think I will get a 1919a4 before I save up for the Saiga 12 AOW. But it is on the list!! And no I don't think that buying guns at a gun show is a loophole that is a whole other can of beans. But in California we don't have that gun show "loophole" all firearms except for antiques and C&R's must go through the ten day wait and background check.

I thought about it for awhile. But it's a little steep to get and than alter for a S12 mag. I've decided I'd rather do a SBS out of my Bullpupped S12. Esp now that I know I can JUST make it work with a 12rnd drum.