I was researching some WW2 stuff online and I came across a story about Hiroo Onoda, a Japanese officer. At 23 he was sent in the jungles of the philippines on orders to do all that he could to hamper enemy attacks on the island, including destroying the airstrip and the pier at the harbor, and gorilla warfare stuff. His orders also stating that under no circumstances was he to surrender or take his own life. Well he took that shit seriously, not knowing the war was over he spent 30 years in the jungle doing just that! They had to find his old CO, who was now an old guy working at a bookstore in Japan, to order him to lay down his arms and surrender.

Its actually a great story look him up.

Edited by GREYLUPO
  • Like 1

Wow! Probably the fucker who killed my grandfather's brother in Manila. My grandfather spent time in the Pacific theater and said the Japanese weapons were shit but with their tenacity and sense of duty made up for that making things a lot more difficult for our troops fighting in that AO. It didn't compare to the hatred our guys had toward them after Pearl Harbor though. Good find!

• Like 1

Wow! Probably the fucker who killed my grandfather's brother in Manila. My grandfather spent time in the Pacific theater and said the Japanese weapons were shit but with their tenacity and sense of duty made up for that making things a lot more difficult for our troops fighting in that AO. It didn't compare to the hatred our guys had toward them after Pearl Harbor though. Good find!

Thanks, google him, very interesting guy. Maybe, they said he killed almost 30 people in those years and tons of cows. A lot of those people were armed search parties.

My grandfather was in the army during ww2, but never liked to talk about it. I think he was 1st cav, he has a homemade tatt on his forearm, looks like a insignia for them. He brought back a Japanese sword when he came back home. Mint condiction.

My crackhead uncle pawned it in the 90s, what a dumbass!

Edited by GREYLUPO

It's hard to imagine 30 years of solitude, living off the land, and still engaging in asymmetric warfare with one's enemy. Of course it's entirely consistent with the staggeringly huge losses the Japanese Army suffered in WWII and the significant losses the US forces suffered while inflicting the Japanese losses.

Thanks, google him, very interesting guy. Maybe, they said he killed almost 30 people in those years and tons of cows. A lot of those people were armed search parties.

My grandfather was in the army during ww2, but never liked to talk about it. I think he was 1st cav, he has a homemade tatt on his forearm, looks like a insignia for them. He brought back a Japanese sword when he came back home. Mint condiction.

My crackhead uncle pawned it in the 90s, what a dumbass!

Your uncle needs beaten with a sock full of nickles for that!

• Like 2

I understand and respect the total committment but after 4 or 5 years you would think he would have found out how things were going. And absolutely after ten! He definitely had to be missing a few monkeys from his tree.

It's hard to imagine 30 years of solitude, living off the land, and still engaging in asymmetric warfare with one's enemy.

I've got a feeling it might be coming to a town near me and you very soon. People are rioting in Vancouver tonight because they lost they Stanley Cup!

Think about what would happen if the economic system collapsed, and food became scarce. Many economic experts seem to think that it's not "if" but "when"....

Edited by Jpanzer

I understand and respect the total committment but after 4 or 5 years you would think he would have found out how things were going. And absolutely after ten! He definitely had to be missing a few monkeys from his tree.

Depends on how you look at it.... he is not the only case of this happening. Their sense of duty and commitment to their emperor was way beyond what our race can comprehend.

And as far as their weapons being junk, I have a Type 99 rifle that I have put 7 bullets in a raged hole the size of a nickel at my backyard range (30 yds)using cast lead bullet reloads. And I am the first to admitt that I am a lousy shot.

And their Type 38 rifle was touted as being the strongest bolt action ever made for a military rifle. I have one of them and am waiting for a couple of small parts so I can start shooting it.

Depends on how you look at it.... he is not the only case of this happening. Their sense of duty and commitment to their emperor was way beyond what our race can comprehend.

And as far as their weapons being junk, I have a Type 99 rifle that I have put 7 bullets in a raged hole the size of a nickel at my backyard range (30 yds)using cast lead bullet reloads. And I am the first to admitt that I am a lousy shot.

And their Type 38 rifle was touted as being the strongest bolt action ever made for a military rifle. I have one of them and am waiting for a couple of small parts so I can start shooting it.

I agree, they were on a different level. Even today, I think they are the most advanced people in the world, just look how they acted some months ago when they got hit by catastrophe, very honorable!

We could all learn something from them.

I was researching some WW2 stuff online and I came across a story about Hiroo Onoda, a Japanese officer. At 23 he was sent in the jungles of the philippines on orders to do all that he could to hamper enemy attacks on the island, including destroying the airstrip and the pier at the harbor, and gorilla warfare stuff. His orders also stating that under no circumstances was he to surrender or take his own life. Well he took that shit seriously, not knowing the war was over he spent 30 years in the jungle doing just that! They had to find his old CO, who was now an old guy working at a bookstore in Japan, to order him to lay down his arms and surrender.

I'm sure you meant "guerilla warfare" :D

Onada didn't actually act alone. For a good portion of that time he was accompanied by another guy named Kozuki (I think) but this guy got killed eventually. As I recall many search parties left newspapers & such to let him see that the war was over but he convinced himself they'd been printed to trick him. Many of the villagers he terrorized do not have a very good opinion of him though. Reportedly he was not above randomlly shooting civilians who he thought could report on his whereabouts. He was eventually found by a Japanese college student who had sworn to find several mythical creatures during his summer break (Onada, a yeti, and some other creature) but wouldn't believe him about the war beign over until they took his old commander there to read teh Emperor's address to stop fighting the Americans (the address never actually said surrender because apparently there literaly is no such word in Japanese).

Believe it or not, Onada was not the last one of these holdouts. There were at least two other japanese soldiers found on other islands several years later, but they were not actively engaged in warfare like Onada, they just hadn't realized the war was over or hadn't come out of their hiding places. I remember back in the 80's there was a popular joke that if someone's yard or property was extremely overrun people would say that there were Japanese soldiers there who didn't know the war was over.

BTW. Onada didn't take to modern japan very well and last I heard he owns a cattle farm or something like that in Brazil.

Edited by cvasqu03

I agree, they were on a different level. Even today, I think they are the most advanced people in the world, just look how they acted some months ago when they got hit by catastrophe, very honorable!

We could all learn something from them.

I know it's the internet and that a lot of you probably watched japanese anime or possibly even own a katana but, let's get fucking real. Their weapons were pretty much shit, they did have other weapons besides the arisaka, which turned to shit. They also committed some of the worst atrocities the world has ever seen while invading china for a decade before WW2 officially "started".

they also allowed their companies (tepco) to completely lie about the state of their fukishima reactor. "the japanese only deal in facts though!!" although the rest of the worlds scientists all said there are multiple meltdowns happening...without even being at the site.

I'm sure you meant "guerilla warfare" :D

Onada didn't actually act alone. For a good portion of that time he was accompanied by another guy named Kozuki (I think) but this guy got killed eventually. As I recall many search parties left newspapers & such to let him see that the war was over but he convinced himself they'd been printed to trick him. Many of the villagers he terrorized do not have a very good opinion of him though. Reportedly he was not above randomlly shooting civilians who he thought could report on his whereabouts. He was eventually found by a Japanese college student who had sworn to find several mythical creatures during his summer break (Onada, a yeti, and some other creature) but wouldn't believe him about the war beign over until they took his old commander there to read teh Emperor's address to stop fighting the Americans (the address never actually said surrender because apparently there literaly is no such word in Japanese).

Believe it or not, Onada was not the last one of these holdouts. There were at least two other japanese soldiers found on other islands several years later, but they were not actively engaged in warfare like Onada, they just hadn't realized the war was over or hadn't come out of their hiding places. I remember back in the 80's there was a popular joke that if someone's yard or property was extremely overrun people would say that there were Japanese soldiers there who didn't know the war was over.

BTW. Onada didn't take to modern japan very well and last I heard he owns a cattle farm or something like that in Brazil.

Lol yeah I did mean that. He went to brazil after making a ton of cash from his story, getting a full pardon and getting hitched.