I just got a saiga 5.45 and need to get some surplus mags for it. which mags work the best? ive seen the bulgarians, polish steel and plastic, AIM had some for 10 bucks a while back but now they are 15. I have heard that some dont need a bullet guide. I will probably install one anyways. What do yall recommend and who has them at the best price? thanks.

From what I understand, .223 can be run through a 5.45 mag but you'll need to change the follower and possibly tweak the feed lips a little. I know guys have modified East German bakes to take .223... personally I'd go with a Bulgarian waffle or Weiger mag.

From what I understand, .223 can be run through a 5.45 mag but you'll need to change the follower and possibly tweak the feed lips a little. I know guys have modified East German bakes to take .223... personally I'd go with a Bulgarian waffle or Weiger mag.

What is said here has been my conclusion.I have convereted some Bulgarian 5.45 and German bakelites for use in my Vepr using a Robarm followers and a factory Robarm convereted 5.45 German Bakelite mag as a guide. They do work and they do feed all 30 rds on both the Robarm converted mag and the ones that I convereted. This was a good option when .223 mags were not readily available on the market and the 5.45 mags were in the $5ea price range and the .223 followers were $6ea,but today it is just not feasible,when you can get Bulgy waffle mags for $25 or the German weiger mags for $25-30.

I still have a few of the conversion followers and some of the $5 mags,but it is not worth the hassle to me.

I hope this helps.....

speaking of which, any place to get replacement springs, plate, and follower for a bulgy circle 10?

Another Bulgarian circle 10?

+1

why buy parts for old mags when you can buy the whole magazine for not much more? i havent seen individual parts for sale on these mags anyways. but then again, i havent been looking either.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes you can get springs, followers and floorplates.

They are not cheap though,just the followers cost me $4ea several years back from Kvar, I am not sure what I paid for the springs ,but they have them,you will have to ask the sweet girl from Texas and she will go ask someone and they will sell them to you.

I recall buying 4 packs of brand new Bulgy mags in the mag pouch from Ohio rapid fire for $25 or $29 per set of 4. I hand picked a couple when I was in their store,I wish I would have bought more at the time.

Mine are all chocolate colored brown (yuk)!