i'm debating on getting a saiga 223 or 545 caliber round.whta the diffrence on distance and accuracy?i already have a arsenal sgl-21 the 762x39 round.but i want to get a another rifle but in a 223 or 545.you can buy cheap 545 ammo which is great but whats the diffrence on both guns.

I have both and they each are fun to shoot,

The 5.45 ammo and mags are cheaper.

Seems the 5.45 is more accurate, but that could because of the lower recoil.

5.45 ammo is harder to find on store shelves(but getting easier)

223 ammo is a US common caliber and easy to find.

223 mags are expensive compared to 5.45 mags.

Both are great guns and I wouldn't sell either one.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Jemtech is right man, If money isnt an option, or you have 5000rds of 223 ammo, go with the 223. When you get the 5.45 you have alot of military surplus mags and parts to choose from. And since they are surplus, they are cheaper. There are guys who really didnt know this and went for a 223, then they have to pay out the ass for good mags that work. Also the 5.45 ammo is way cheaper than the 223, and since the market is going up for this caliber, you can find it easier than ever. Save your self a future headache and get a traditional caliber, 7.62x39 or 5.45, youll be happy you did.

I do have two 223's, a 7.62 and one 5.45 Saiga along with a Polish Tantal.

One of the 223's has a 20 inch barrel and is hands down my favorite range gun.

It is a hoot to shoot it next to the high dollar AR guys. The grouping is fantastic for an AK.

GregM also has a 20 inch 223 and is the reason why I picked up the longer barrel.

Mags are about $15 more then the 5.45, but ammo is always found at the local stores.

Comparing the cost of the Saiga against the AR, checking their targets, and I always leave the range with a smile.