Can anyone tell me where to buy a Saiga .223 in NYS?

Ask your local gun shops whether they will do a transfer for a gun purchased over the Internet. If you find one that's willing (most are for a fee), locate the .223 Saiga you're willing to buy online. Usually Saiga vendors have an FFL, sell new rifles, and will be experienced in completing a transfer through another FFL holder. Saiga12's advertisers are a good place to start. I've had very good luck with Peach State Guns and Mississippi Auto Arms.

Used Saigas being sold by private individuals can be found on Gunbroker for a good price, however some NYS FFL holders are only willing to do FFL-to-FFL transfers. Whether their concerns are valid, I don't know. However, I normally avoid firearm purchases from private individuals just to avoid the hassles with the local gunshop and to avoid paying two transfer fees (one to the FFL on each end).

Complete your purchase online and provide the vendor with contact and shipping information for the transferring gun shop. Also provide the gunshop FFL holder with the information he'll need to send a copy of his FFL to the vendor (usually just a FAX number). He should be willing to do this as part of the transaction. Sometimes the vendor already has the gunshop's FFL on file and there's no need for the FFL holder to send anything.

The vendor will ship the rifle to your local shop and you'll get a call when it arrives. When you go to pick it up, the shop will have you fill out the appropriate federal form for the transfer and collect its transfer fee. It will then turn the rifle over to you.

I've obtained all of my Saigas via this route. It works quite well, however, the local shop may get a mite testy if you ask them to do several transfers without buying a gun from them. If you plan to do that, you could try to do the transfers through a shop that carries other guns you're interested in, and then buy something from them after a couple of transfers. I picked up a Glock 19 to partly show my appreciation after doing a few transfers through a local shop.

Other than that, you might have to wait for the next gunshow in your area. I've seen Saigas at the Syracuse gun show and there is one vendor there that seems to specialize in them. I know he had 7.62x39 and .308 versions for sale at the last show; but don't know about .223. Sorry, I can't remember their name either.

That is exactly how i got mine. The dealer was a little reluctant to do the transfer at first, but i think he knew it was a transfer or nothing at all. I've bought ammo there quite a few times over the years, as well as a number of cleaning supplies. I also made sure to buy some ammo when i picked up my rifle. but, yes, this procedure worked very well for me.

You can always buy one from an on-line vendor and have it shipped to your local FFL. I'm in Washington county and did that when I bought my S12.

Check the prices of the business members here, and also centerfiresystems and classicarms.

Wow! i didn't realize so many members were practically my neighbors! Yeah i bought mine from Centerfire Systems. Spoke to an incredibly helpful woman named Jennifer. They sorted me out no problem. Had the Local FFL send his info and my rifle was shipped and arrived in less than a week! Stopped by after work, did five minutes of paperwork, browsed for five minutes while they did the background check, and i was ready to go! All in all, it went incredibly smoothly! Since this was my first transfer, anyone mind telling me how much they got charged for transfers? Just trying to get an idea of what the standard is.

There really isn't a "standard" and I'm kind of surprised that NY hasn't regulated it so they can get ANOTHER share of the pie besides the normal tax. The FFL that I do business with charges his fee depending on the cost of the gun, either $35, $45, or $55. However, his mark-up is only 10%, so I don't think his fee is anything to bitch about. He's real good to me. Recently, when I bought my AR-15 from him, he gave it to me for cost because I've brought him many new customers and I've bought several guns from him in the last four years. I'd much rather give a local friend the business than give my money to a large, impersonal box-store just to save a few dollars. The money saved by not driving out of the neighborhood more than makes up the price difference in ammo and other small items, rather than driving to the box-stores.

YeoldeTool-

Totally agree about shopping with a locally owned merchant! Even though it's a bit more expensive, i try to buy from the local gun shop whenever i can. I was surprised to see that he even stocks Wolf 55gr HPs AND Prvi Psrtisan 55gr FMJ! He got me for a little more on the transfer- $60, but i attribute that more to his initial unwillingness to do the transfer on a rifle that he wasn't sure was legal in NYS. In general though, the local guy has been a real pleasure to deal with

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a SAIGA .223 in upstate New York and live in Saratoga County. Do any of you know of any gun shops that carry SAIGA .223's?

Thanks,

Jeff

"Upstate" NY? LOL you gotta be 4 hours south of Upstate NY if you are in Saratoga county, that's downstate to us north country folk.

Both good places to look, but higher priced. I've gone to both just to window shop and fondle the product and then had my FFL dealer order for me, OR order myself and ship it to my FFL.

Yea they price them at around $400 which isn't too bad I guess if you add transfer fee and shipping when you order from out of state. Not the friendliest bunch at B&Js though, I'm sure many here in upstate NY have read or heard of their transgressions.