http://www.airforcet...verhaul-072511/

I can't believe it. It sounds the death knell for our professional military. Retention rates will drop through the floor. The fools in Govt want to run the military retirement system like any other big corporation. Clue nitwits: the military ain't a freakin corporation -- it is a distinct society that pledges it's life so the freaks like you can continue to screw them over. THIS IS INSANE!!! We need to find out who votes for this travasty and vote them out. The first people who needs their retirement taken away are those in congress, the senate and all the bigwigs. Vets have actually marched on Washington before. It may be time to do it again. If our country fails or reneges on it's pledge to take care of those who have done so much for us, then I can actually say that I will begin to doubt my allegience towards the government who holds no allegience towards me. I will always love my country but EFF the govt! Sorry for the rank but this sucks. Thank God I am already retired...

Edited by Odd Man Out
  • Like 7

Frankly, that's fucked up, if anyone in america deserves to keep their retirement its got to be the american military soldiers.

Oh and if that goes through, you can pretty much say goodbye to the professional career soldier.

Edited by Joebanks
  • Like 1

I didn't get the impression that pensions were going to end for the military. The way I understand it, pensions would be modeled on the corporate model phasing out of the 20 year guaranteed annuity. Pensions would be paid as you go and if you left you could take any accumulated benefits with you. Not certain how much reduction in benefits would be, but these types of things always tilt in favor of the Military or Corporation as this is why they enact them to begin with.

Yakdung

1. I didn't get the impression that pensions were going to end for the military.

2. The way I understand it, pensions would be modeled on the corporate model phasing out of the 20 year guaranteed annuity. Pensions would be paid as you go and if you left you could take any accumulated benefits with you.

3. Not certain how much reduction in benefits would be,

4. but these types of things always tilt in favor of the Military or Corporation as this is why they enact them to begin with.

Yakdung

Hopefully this never goes through but if it does

1. You are right -- they are going to be lessened. What part of that sounds right?

2. Also correct. Bennies would be graduated from 0 to 5 years, 6-10, 11-15, 16-20, 20-on. anything under 20 and a servicemember would have to wait til 62 to receive said bennies. People will have to have 16.5% of pay and allowances deducted and put into a retirement fund -- you remember how much take home pay was when you first joined (if you did)? Now subtract 16.5% -- yeah our troops are rollin in the gravy... My point is that to go back on a pledge made to people who risk their lives for an ideal is without merit and dishonorable. What if you were in the service and had 18 years in -- 38 years old and now realize that everything you had planned is in process of being destroyed. I would not be surprised if this were to go through, (I am NOT advocating for this) that there would be a rash of political assassinations in the future.

3. As it is now, if a person retires with 20 years service, they receive 50% of the basic pay for the rest of their life. After the change goes through they would receive 37.5 percent...

4. I have no knowledge about corporations but you tell me when it ever tilted in favor of the military??? Redux? Top 3???? I don't think it ever has.

Military veterans are the LAST place to look for ways to cut things -- they have given enough.

• Like 5

Pathetic. This coupled with the substandard service offered by the VA will be the downfall of retention in the military. I can see those who enlist under this will pop smoke after their first enlistment to use their GI Bill to go to college providing that benefit will remain. Career military will go away through attrition and Selective Service will go into full effect for any future armed conflicts. More and more, the military is using the corporate mindset to operate which really doesn't work outside the wire where bullets are flying. It's not a goddamn corporation, it's the most advanced fighting force in the world which is getting neutered by politicians.

• Like 1

Sounds like the VEAP program back when I signed up. That failed, so I see little chance of this doing better.

So I wonder if it's the Dems or Repubs pushing this? Sounds like a Repub push for privatization. But the Dems have ALWAYS had it in for the Mil. So likely both parties are to blame? Why do we put up with such political stupidity?

If the troops march on Washington again, this time they should BRING GUNS! Then DingleBarry's cronies would have their hands full trying to kill them.

It's looking more and more like it's time to open that fourth box before it's too late and America is gone.

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." Ed Howdershelt

Edited by patriot

How would this save the government money? From my perspective, many would leave knowing the benefits were no longer there. The military would then have to train new folks (assuming they were available). The cost of training an aviation mechanic for instance, and keeping them current on training is not cheap. Sure you could hire contractors but that would cost more in the long run. The military has the advantage of being able to pay very little and control to a high degree, a very highly trained, dedicated workforce. This move could potentially put an end to that.

I know I read the same thing in the Army Times, they want 400 billion in cuts 254 billion is from the armed forces. Its bullshit but it wont happen for a while is my guess Obama will wait till his second terms which is likely. Dont want any dirt on his face this election now would he.

This is Obamuslim's attack on the military while his cronies get high paying government jobs. Remember how he said that he wanted a domestic security force of 250,000 accountable only to him? Not only it sounds like what Hitler had in his SS but dismantling the military would make his personal force less stoppable without the military keeping them in check.

You guys got to consider the source. In my experience, the Air Force times and Military times in general tend to fear monger and make wild acusations. A majority of the things they report on are opinions and polls taken from people out of touch with the real military. And while I enjoy it at almost an enterainment level I don't utilize it as any sort of legitimate news source. However this is my opinion, take it for what its worth.

While I agree with you that the info from "Military.com" can be somewhat entertaining, the info that one gets from the weekly publication; "Army Times" is rock solid -- everything from weekly casuality reports, re-up bonuses, per diem rates, promotion point lists, inner service news -- all can be counted on to be accurate and up to date. Been a subscriber for years and years. Tru Dat!

So we may be comparing apples to oranges in reguards to Air Force vs Army times. Yes, that the pay scales and other charts are accurate (they have to be, you can't fudge something like that) its the articles and polling that I think are biased. Every issue features things like "10 things Airmen demand of the brass NOW!", and "this airman went in for gall blader surgery and woke up with no legs." I've always found the articles geared toward pitting the ranks against the higher ups. And while I like to be informed, I don't like to be enraged for the sake of being enraged. All I'm saying is the Air Force times should not be looked at as anything official, merely a "be aware of potential happenings."

Can't vouch for air force anything -- the last time I had dealings with the air force was when I redeployed out of a sandbox to Oman where I encountered a zoomy berating the guy behind the Baskin Robbins counter in the air force mess hall for running out of sprinkles... True story.

I am Retired Air Force but since I was on the pointy end of the spear, I spent more time in schools and deployed with Army and Marine Corps personnel. The Air Force in general, has no tactical mindset since they are postured around their aircraft which are normally in the rear in places like Oman. No sprinkles at the ice cream counter equates to a difficult deployment for those folks. Try eating nothing but MREs for months straight.

saw lots of dirt in my time deployed with RH-2, went too early and missed the ice cream stores :lolol: must have started in 1994.

Should also make note that the best thing to top ice cream is not some candy ass sprinkles it’s Kahlua. :super:

http://www.globalsec...af/redhorse.htm

post-26137-0-38415100-1312547735_thumb.png

Edited by 20-Mags
Try eating nothing but MREs for months straight.

Hey, what you got agains't MRE's???????????? To date myself I can tell you that I really liked the "Ham and Eggs" C-rats, as long as you did not try to think that you were eating ham and eggs... at least the MRE's gave you tabasco and skittles...

Edited by Odd Man Out
Try eating nothing but MREs for months straight.

Hey, what you got agains't MRE's???????????? To date myself I can tell you that I really liked the "Ham and Eggs" C-rats, as long as you did not try to think that you were eating ham and eggs... at least the MRE's gave you tabasco and skittles...

MREs are great, especially when you run out of them. Our resupply got jacked up on us in Iraq in the beginning of OIF and we were down to one a day each. Ended up supplementing them by buying a cow off a farmer. Then another cow, then some chickens. Sadly, no Baskin Robbins for dessert! Sorry to Jack the thread.

Back on topic. We'll see what happens with this initiative to buddy fuck our Servicemembers.