I'm waiting for the Micro version myself. Reviews on theakforum.net and elsewhere have been very good. Not sure if you've seen this video or not:

The reviewer in that video talked some more about it on the Warrior Talk forum, and said he believes it to be more robust and battleworthy than the TWS top cover rail.

I like it, I have my PK02/PK23 in mine. It was designed for the Aimpoint C3 I believe (or other 30mm Aimpoint tube optics whatever they are) but it works for any 30mm red dot including Russian ones. On the PK23 I had to rotate it in the mount for the battery cover to clear the dust cover, same with the Aimpoints from what I understand.

It's light weight, well built and does a nice job of compromising on two conflicting requirements...being able to field strip the rifle while mounted but also being low enough to cowitness. It's basically impossible for a mount to do that because of how low the irons sit relative to the receiver cover but the RS mount gets you close enough.

While you can't get cowitness with the rear leaf set on 1, it will give decent cowitness on battlesight or 3 and while doing so you can still remove the top cover. Considering those criteria are diametrically opposed I'd say Horse did a good job all things considered. I'm not a fan of cowitness myself so I'm not terribly worried about it. I'd rather not use battlesight all the time just to get it or have a 100 zero instead of 300 on battlesight but for people that must have cowitness it will do it, you just have to use battlesight or farther on your rear sight.

The mount itself works properly but does deflect more than typical MTK83 type Belarussian clamps that it was designed after. Return to zero does seem to work properly but visually it seems like the clamp is deflecting more than usual to achieve it. I haven't seen any issues with it so far, FWIW.

Nice feature is that you can shift the optic to the left or right to get it centered over the bore if you like (eliminating a common complaint that Russians optics are offset to the left). In fact my mount was maxed out to the right out of the box but it took about 15 seconds to get it centered.

And the price is actually very close to what it costs to make the mount, I know from the inside that Horse isn't making a ton of money on them at all. They aren't cheap because the manufacturer doesn't make them for much less than he sells them for.

After using it for a while I think it's decent and functional.

PK02-HorseMount-Left-SGL31Poly.JPG

PK02-HorseMount-Right-SGL.JPG

PK02-HorseMount-Left-SGL31Close.JPG

HorseMountPK23-Dot.JPG

Z

I like most of his video's but that one hits a few buttons for me and I kind of wish he'd redo it. Some of it perpetuates the western mindset that optics on Russian rifles are a compromise solution and in general the tone sounds like he's not really sure how the side rails or even the folding stock works. Not his best work IMHO, other reviews of his are spot on and I give him a thumbs up in general.

Z

I'm waiting for the Micro version myself. Reviews on theakforum.net and elsewhere have been very good. Not sure if you've seen this video or not:

The reviewer in that video talked some more about it on the Warrior Talk forum, and said he believes it to be more robust and battleworthy than the TWS top cover rail.

Well then I suppose he's been tarred and feathered, then banished from WT - right?

Harv

While you can't get cowitness with the rear leaf set on 1, it will give decent cowitness on battlesight or 3

Z,

I haven't heard of any limitations on getting a full co-witness with this mount, at least with Aimpoints. Does your comment apply to all optics, or just the Russian one you are running?

I can't comment on Aimpoints because I don't have one but I find it unlikely that they will cowitness on 1. If they do it's probably lower 1/3 rather than absolute, I just can't see how the aimpoint is going to be able to do it when the PK can't considering they are both 30mm tubes.

The people I know with this setup all use PK23's and we all have the same observations, won't absolute cowitness on 1 but will on 3. Off the top of my head I haven't seen anyone mention cowitness one way or the other with aimpoints, I don't remember if Sturm gave a description of it in his video or not.

Zen, I knew if ANYONE had used one it would be you! :D Thanks for the review!

I definitely wasn't the first by any means but I had to get my hands on this mount, it's too interesting to pass up. Over on arfcom there are excellent threads on it, theakforum.net as well. One reason I post alot over here is I think Saiga-12 doesn't have as strong an AK community as other forums. So while it's the shizzle on S12's many people aren't familiar with all the other stuff going on with AK's, particularly optics which are not very well known over here at all.

Z

Well then I suppose he's been tarred and feathered, then banished from WT - right?

Harv

Seems to happen alot over there doesn't it? I've seen more than a few threads get deleted or locked when they don't agree with the party line, particularly about the US Palm magazines.

Z

Edited by TX-Zen

I can't comment on Aimpoints because I don't have one but I find it unlikely that they will cowitness on 1. If they do it's probably lower 1/3 rather than absolute, I just can't see how the aimpoint is going to be able to do it when the PK can't considering they are both 30mm tubes.

The ability to co-witness (lower 1/3) is a prominently advertised feature of the product. I don't expect an absolute co-witness of anything on the AK, nor would it be desirable.

• 2 weeks later...

The ability to co-witness (lower 1/3) is a prominently advertised feature of the product. I don't expect an absolute co-witness of anything on the AK, nor would it be desirable.

I'm eagerly awaiting the RS Micro mount for a true co-witness.

A shootin' buddy bought the 30mm mount. It is a game changer IMO. Solid and well thought out.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

While you can't get cowitness with the rear leaf set on 1, it will give decent cowitness on battlesight or 3

Z,

I haven't heard of any limitations on getting a full co-witness with this mount, at least with Aimpoints. Does your comment apply to all optics, or just the Russian one you are running?

I have the RS AKM mount and an Aimpoint C3. It provides a good lower cowitness regardless of how the irons are set.