I guess GOD doesn't like Sugerland either, but I didn't see the need in trying to take out the crowd! This was one poorly rigged stage setup, and you know there will be some new laws over this! Common fucking sense, big winds, get people away from portable, flimsy, structures. The list of people, companies, and state lawsuits, jeez. You watch those poor souls look up and try to run but where, no one goes to a concert thinking a 40,000 lbs. stage will fall from 60 ft. and land on them! There are a lot careers that just ended along with a few life's.

It was a REALLY bad Storm that came through last night. At 815PM it was still sunny out, by 830 it was PITCH BLACK outside. I live Northwest of Indy, after it past though here it hit the Fair grounds.

We were going to the Fair today but they canceled all activities today. Really sad. Back in 1963 right across the Fair Ground main street in Pepsi Coliseum a Propane tank exploded killing about 75 watching a Ice show. Really tragic all around.

Cam, I am going to disagree with you, that is a standard unit.

What it is is a self climbing gantry. You assemble the horizontal beams (which are truss members) that contain the lights

and the electrical cables. You then put the tarp over the roof, and all this is done with the main beams about head level.

You then turn on the self jackers, and it climbs to 30 feet up. Run all the lights, and usually nothing has to be adjusted.

Take it down nightly for lamp replacement, new gels, and etc.

I was a stage tech for a while and the above is from that experience. However, I'm also a mech engineer, and the following

is from that.

If you've ever socked a cardboard box to fold it up, you know what happens with something is a square without any diagonal

reinforcement. A truss is a TRIANGULAR shape. The roof might have been a truss unto itself, but there was no truss structure

between the roof and the poles, and, if you notice, the roof held together, but the pole to roof connections buckled. If there had been

diagonals between the roof and poles, it would not have failed.

Simple trusses. I imagine this structure will not be allowed outdoors without bolt in truss braces in the future. It wouldn't have taken much

to prevent this.

I'm no expert in stage construction but I do know something about wind effects. It's obvious that the rigid structural components were brought down by the huge surface area created by the tarpaulin material which essentially made it a giant sail. These should have been attached with rigging designed to support the material but break away when these kind huge wind forces are exerted on it. I'd be surprised if that wasn't already a requirement that got overlooked. If not, it will be now.

Wow it really sucks that this happened, bless the injured and RIP to the dead, But God! why were people out in that storm? It looked like a really bad storm blowing in, something that the radar would not have missed. Just my two cents here but i would have been no where near that place, a lack in judgment it seems.

Thanks for posting Yak. Indy is my hometown, and I've been to that State Fair countless times. A high school buddy of mine told me about it last night on fb. That video is disturbing to watch. Here's the story thus far if anyone's interested:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110814/NEWS15/110814009/Daniels-Last-night-displayed-best-Hoosier-qualities?odyssey=mod|defcon|img|IndyStar.com

I'm no expert in stage construction but I do know something about wind effects. It's obvious that the rigid structural components were brought down by the huge surface area created by the tarpaulin material which essentially made it a giant sail. These should have been attached with rigging designed to support the material but break away when these kind huge wind forces are exerted on it. I'd be surprised if that wasn't already a requirement that got overlooked. If not, it will be now.

Agreed,

Thanks for posting Yak. Indy is my hometown, and I've been to that State Fair countless times. A high school buddy of mine told me about it last night on fb. That video is disturbing to watch. Here's the story thus far if anyone's interested:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110814/NEWS15/110814009/Daniels-Last-night-displayed-best-Hoosier-qualities?odyssey=mod|defcon|img|IndyStar.com

Kevin I didn't know you were from Indy, I went to GWHS. Where about ya from?

Chevy, the storm blew in REALLY fast, it was highly unpredictable which direction it was gonna commit to. Most Concert tickets say rain or shine on them. That Tarp that blew off I imagine was to keep the Artists dry.

Washington High! Westside!

I was a Titan (Green and White), from Tech High over on Michigan St. Class of '91. I grew up mainly on Eastside Indy (38th and Sherman, 21st and Shadeland, 38th and Mitthoeffer). Lived on campus at IUPUI while I did undergrad there until '97, when I got accepted to U of Indy on the Southside. Lived down there for a cpl years, and moved to the W 38th and 465-area until I moved to Texas in '02. Last time I was back home was in '08 for about a week.

Edited by Kevin in Texas

I was a Titan (Green and White), from Tech High over on Michigan St. Class of '91. I grew up mainly on Eastside Indy (38th and Sherman, 21st and Shadeland, 38th and Mitthoeffer). Lived on campus at IUPUI while I did undergrad there until '97, when I got accepted to U of Indy on the Southside. Lived down there for a cpl years, and moved to the W 38th and 465-area until I moved to Texas in '02. Last time I was back home was in '08 for about a week.

Oh that's cool man, I graduated GW in 94, I grew up around W. Washington and Belmont (right by the High School) until 1997 when I moved out of Marion County. I did ALOT of running around w. 38th st./Lafayette Square Mall area in my Youth. The Mall has gotten WAYYY to bad in recent years though, I just don't go anymore.

BTW,

Went to the Fair today with the Family, not the best picture sorry, but heres what I got of the aftermath, you can see the top of the stage. To the left of the yellow top tent.

statefair070.jpg

Edited by Bean.223

Oh that's cool man, I graduated GW in 94, I grew up around W. Washington and Belmont (right by the High School) until 1997 when I moved out of Marion County. I did ALOT of running around w. 38th st./Lafayette Square Mall area in my Youth. The Mall has gotten WAYYY to bad in recent years though, I just don't go anymore.

I know your area well. Used to hang out on that side of town, when me and my fellas got bored with The 'Ville. The things we get ourselves into when we're young and stupid. W. Washington @ 2 AM is not the spot for young 20-somethings who want to stay out of trouble.

No doubt about Lafayette Sq Mall. Hell, back when I lived over in that area it wasn't unusual to see kids walking the mall smoking blunts. The Wal-Mart up the road @ Lafayette and Georgetown closes after 10 pm, I believe to cut down on theft. Indy's in free-fall, which is part of why I moved the hell out.

I know your area well. Used to hang out on that side of town, when me and my fellas got bored with The 'Ville. The things we get ourselves into when we're young and stupid. W. Washington @ 2 AM is not the spot for young 20-somethings who want to stay out of trouble.

No doubt about Lafayette Sq Mall. Hell, back when I lived over in that area it wasn't unusual to see kids walking the mall smoking blunts. The Wal-Mart up the road @ Lafayette and Georgetown closes after 10 pm, I believe to cut down on theft. Indy's in free-fall, which is part of why I moved the hell out.

Well the main problem is everybody is moving out of Detroit and coming to Indy. Literally....

I'll never forget going to a 96.3 talent show in the old Union Station Downtown the year they had the shooting....THAT WAS THE LAST YEAR THEY HELD THAT particular event. :lolol:

• 3 weeks later...

Well the main problem is everybody is moving out of Detroit and coming to Indy. Literally....

I'll never forget going to a 96.3 talent show in the old Union Station Downtown the year they had the shooting....THAT WAS THE LAST YEAR THEY HELD THAT particular event. :lolol:

God. I used to cut school and hang out with my friends at Union Station. Business sort of died off when Circle Center opened up back in '94-'95.