Muzzle Brake Installation Question

I have a Saiga 7.62x39 rifle imported by Arsenal and distributed by K-Var. The model number is SGL24-63. It's the NY State compliant version. I would like to affix this compensator:

1gmwba.jpg

...with 14x1LH threads to my rifle. Unfortunately there appears to be a sort of "cap" covering the tip of my barrel with no apparent way of removing it. I have tried contacting both Arsenal and K-Var and they have no idea how I should go about dealing with my issue. Here are some pictures of my rifle (I apologize for the hairy man leg in advance):

289v5ua.jpg

27y7p93.jpg

2ylpfky.jpg

I'm fluent in AR-15 modifications but I am brand new to the AK47 platform. I have since sold my AR-15 as I have come to love this platform above all others. If anyone could point me in the right direction with a tutorial an AK47 n00b could follow it would be greatly appreciated. If this is something that would be better done by a professional...I guess I could swallow that but I would like to undergo this project myself, if possible. Thank you all very much in advance for any information you can provide me with!

Edited by adamshumpisxxx

Honestly, check for welds, if no welds, get out the vice grips and give it a mighty turn. Rememer you are going to turn to the left to get this thing loosened, it just looks like an oversized arrel nut. Wrap it with a rag to protect it, and see if you can wrench it off.

Honestly, check for welds, if no welds, get out the vice grips and give it a mighty turn. Rememer you are going to turn to the left to get this thing loosened, it just looks like an oversized barrel nut. Wrap it with a rag to protect it, and see if you can wrench it off.

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, I did not find any welds and this thing is absolutely not twisting off. I tried it for an hour...not a budge. Maybe I'm missing the weld or is this thing just not twistable? Anything else?

Maybe heat it up before trying to twist it off? It may expand just enough to loosen it up enough to twist off?

I'm just grasping at straws for ya. . .

Thank you but upon further inspection I think this thing is solid and part of the FSB (or whatever we call it on AK variants). Is there some way to cut this whole thing off and expose my barrel where maybe there'll be threads? I'm just grasping at straws too. I really need a compensator to take care of this muzzle rise. :unsure:

thats a 24mm FSB.

You options are to get a proper 74 fsb and brake (not sure of NY law) or to pull the FSB off and use an older model FSB and thread for 14x1lh.

Well, that doesn't sound too hard. Are there any definitive tutorials around I can follow so I make sure I purchase / install everything correctly? Also...I came across these tutorials in my search since I posted this thread:

http://forum.saiga-1...ading-tutorial/

Both of them are located in that thread. Do they apply to me? Is the suggestion you made a better way to go about it? The first presented tutorial may not be for me as that poster doesn't have the little "ditch" between the FSB and the cap like mine does (see above pictures). Like I said...I'm an AK variant n00b at this point and I'm trying to hit this at all angles to figure out which is the best route to choose. Also, this is a New York State Compliant variant which means easily accessible threaded muzzles are illegal unless they are silver soldered or pinned for "permanence" after the muzzle brake is installed (with which I comfortable doing). Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far!

That would be a non-threaded Bulgarian FSB, or "Neutered Bulgy" as they are referred to on the SKS forums. What one guy did over there was removed the FSB and cut the forward portion off with a chop saw/Dremel tool, threaded the barrel, then reinstalled the FSB. Be warned, those FSB pins are a real bear to get out.

That would be a non-threaded Bulgarian FSB, or "Neutered Bulgy" as they are referred to on the SKS forums. What one guy did over there was removed the FSB and cut the forward portion off with a chop saw/Dremel tool, threaded the barrel, then reinstalled the FSB. Be warned, those FSB pins are a real bear to get out.

Interesting, learn something new everyday... I'd never seen, nor heard of one of those before.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think it's better to first remove the FSB or go with the way the tutorial outlines it? I think I'm down to cut the FSB muzzle cap back and thread the barrel to 14x1LH. Now for the tools to do it...The tutorials are a tad antiquated so the sources aren't as they once were. Where can I purchase the TAT, Threading Die, Die Handle, and lubricating oil? How much all together would that cost? Or would it be cheaper to just buy a "real" FSB and go with a 24mm brake? Where would I find a threaded FSB and how much would that cost?

I don't mean to piss anyone off with questions that may seem simple to some. I'm just a AK47 n00b like I said, haha! Thank you all very much for all your help!

Thanks for the cost references! I see the thread was posted over a year ago so they probably aren't available anymore but it's still good for reference. So, buying a new FSB threaded for 24mm and a 24mm brake will cost me about $100. That's not bad...Is it a cheaper / easier route to go rather than the other method? Hopefully some other kind user will stop in this thread and help me price that out as well. Thanks again!

Thanks for the cost references! I see the thread was posted over a year ago so they probably aren't available anymore but it's still good for reference. So, buying a new FSB threaded for 24mm and a 24mm brake will cost me about $100. That's not bad...Is it a cheaper / easier route to go rather than the other method? Hopefully some other kind user will stop in this thread and help me price that out as well. Thanks again!

Shoot him a PM .... I got a FSB and brake from him about a month or so ago.

Interesting, learn something new everyday... I'd never seen, nor heard of one of those before.

Yep. Those were made specifically for the Nanny States like NY and Commiefornia, and installed by the importer.

Nice thing about cutting it is it takes the guesswork out of realigning the FSB.

For a 14x1 die, check around on GB and Amazon. My cousin got his die for $25 shipped from an Amazon store. As far as cutting oil, I simply use 5W20 motor oil.