Does anybody know of such a thing? A vest or jacket that you can keep mags close and ready to use without walking around sticking out like a sore thumb. Something you could reach inside and get mags or gear from and also reverse it if/when it was needed.

Interesting idea, but I think the biggest issue would be the gear/pouches rubbing. I think an "over" jacket/shirt is as close as we can get.

I would be interested in a "colors" reverible vest though. Maybe OD(for spring/summer/wooded) and Coyote(for fall/winter/desert)? But them you get into pouch matching, etc.

Nevermind, good luck in your query any way.

A vest or jacket that you can keep mags close and ready to use without walking around sticking out like a sore thumb.

Mags for what, a long gun? You'll stick out carrying one anyway. Just wear a low profile rig under a jacket I guess.

I would be interested in a "colors" reverible vest though. Maybe OD(for spring/summer/wooded) and Coyote(for fall/winter/desert)? But them you get into pouch matching, etc.

MULTICAM! That was what was initially on the plate for the Army before somebody came up with the current AUC pattern which a select few thought was the shit so they procured it and issued it to everyone. You can see a guy in ACUs a mile away regardless of the terrain it is worn in. It just plain sucks ass, damn near glows in the dark. Now, after many years operating in Afghanistan, they have discovered through SOF experience that Multicam works and are now issuing it to Combat troops there.

Coyote colored gear works for both Woodland or Desert as well. It's what is currently issued to USMC for that reason. One set of gear for both uniform options.

• Like 1

A vest or jacket that you can keep mags close and ready to use without walking around sticking out like a sore thumb.

Mags for what, a long gun? You'll stick out carrying one anyway. Just wear a low profile rig under a jacket I guess.

It wouldn't have to be for a rifle. Getting a rifle out of a pack and having mags handy would be easier though, as opposed to getting a rifle out and strapping on something that holds your mags. It doesn't even have to be mags really. Could just be a way of carrying stuff that's easier to get to. Maybe even a good way to conceal a pistol if you didn't want the shoulder holster.

I have a Blackhawk DOAV that I use for long classes and shooting events where you won't have time to get back to the car/benches to load mags and such between stages.

But, when you think about normal carry of an AR pistol, Draco, PLR 16, Sig 556 pistol, or other concealable SMG or rifle caliber pistol SBR, think about how many rounds you will have anyway. A normal day with my XD and 2 spare mags is 40rnds of .45acp, if I was to carry my PLR16 in a messenger bag, laptop bag, or violin case... I would have 3-4 mags of 28-30 rnds. If you really want, that would be 3-4 pockets sewn into a medium length Pea coat and a sling to carry it under the arm. (NOT comfortable, and you will be quite limited in sitting, moving, and accessing your pockets while you wear it... at least if you want to stay concealed)

So tell me... why you need to carry more than 160rnds?

It wouldn't have to be for a rifle. Getting a rifle out of a pack and having mags handy would be easier though, as opposed to getting a rifle out and strapping on something that holds your mags. It doesn't even have to be mags really. Could just be a way of carrying stuff that's easier to get to. Maybe even a good way to conceal a pistol if you didn't want the shoulder holster.

Is this for everyday wear? I'm not going to carry rifle mags in a rig concealed under a coat just in case I have to get a rifle out. If I have to break that out, fuck it, I'm donning the appropriate load bearing gear so I can reload efficiently.

As far as a shoulder holster is concerned, I'll leave that to Crockett and Tubbs on Miami Vice as they are the only guys I know that can wear one, break leather, be on target and shooting faster than those of us who carry at the waist. I can conceal a G19 or 23 in my Supertuck plus spare mags just fine without a load bearing vest thingy to slow me down.

I guess I should have asked, is this one of those SHTF/TEOTWAWKI preparations?

I have a Blackhawk DOAV that I use for long classes and shooting events where you won't have time to get back to the car/benches to load mags and such between stages.

But, when you think about normal carry of an AR pistol, Draco, PLR 16, Sig 556 pistol, or other concealable SMG or rifle caliber pistol SBR, think about how many rounds you will have anyway. A normal day with my XD and 2 spare mags is 40rnds of .45acp, if I was to carry my PLR16 in a messenger bag, laptop bag, or violin case... I would have 3-4 mags of 28-30 rnds. If you really want, that would be 3-4 pockets sewn into a medium length Pea coat and a sling to carry it under the arm. (NOT comfortable, and you will be quite limited in sitting, moving, and accessing your pockets while you wear it... at least if you want to stay concealed)

So tell me... why you need to carry more than 160rnds?

Not saying I do. Not even saying I want this to be specifically for rifle mags. I have seen people train with these sorts of things and I wondered to myself when would they ever actually be wearing something like this? If things can get that bad where someone would needed to have such a vest or jacket then it's likely that you may encounter a situation where you would also want to be discrete while having these items close at hand. How exactly would you be using a rifle and extra mags while carrying a laptop bag or violin case? Seems to me a discreet vest or coat would work better.

Is this for everyday wear? I'm not going to carry rifle mags in a rig concealed under a coat just in case I have to get a rifle out. If I have to break that out, fuck it, I'm donning the appropriate load bearing gear so I can reload efficiently.

As far as a shoulder holster is concerned, I'll leave that to Crockett and Tubbs on Miami Vice as they are the only guys I know that can wear one, break leather, be on target and shooting faster than those of us who carry at the waist. I can conceal a G19 or 23 in my Supertuck plus spare mags just fine without a load bearing vest thingy to slow me down.

I guess I should have asked, is this one of those SHTF/TEOTWAWKI preparations?

A situation where you found yourself on foot in the event of a disaster or even needing a short rifle in the seat of your car is what I was leaning towards. But hell, it could be versatile enough to even use for backpacking or fishing. I know sometimes taking my kids to the zoo I have so much various crap on me that I'll take my camel back with me for cargo sakes. Curious, how do you carry your spare mags for your Glock?

I've been considering something along this line in a level IIIA....

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/uspalmtacticaldefenderarmor.aspx

Set up for my .45 and 3 extra 10rnd mags. I like the shoulder rig concept, but haven't found one I could afford that I feel my weaponry is secure in. This should eliminate that issue plus add at least soft armor protection(paltes being an added option).

Set up for my .45 and 3 extra 10rnd mags. I like the shoulder rig concept, but haven't found one I could afford that I feel my weaponry is secure in. This should eliminate that issue plus add at least soft armor protection(paltes being an added option).

Something like that would be nice for around the house.

Not saying I do. Not even saying I want this to be specifically for rifle mags. I have seen people train with these sorts of things and I wondered to myself when would they ever actually be wearing something like this? If things can get that bad where someone would needed to have such a vest or jacket then it's likely that you may encounter a situation where you would also want to be discrete while having these items close at hand. How exactly would you be using a rifle and extra mags while carrying a laptop bag or violin case? Seems to me a discreet vest or coat would work better.

Those vests are used when you have to carry a lot of loaded mags, water, armor, etc on foot, to get a job done. Nothing more. I use mine for classes. Some people use them to play dress-up. ( And for the nutnfancy project.. :haha: )

As for the question...

If you need to reload, you reach into the bag slung on your shoulder... the one you just unzipped and pulled the weapon out of. The violin case is a bit of a joke, but if you put a strap on the outside, and some elastic on the inside, you could do the same thing. Most laptop bags have really nice pockets that fit AR/AK mags perfectly.

If you think you are going to be "discreet" when loaded out like this WITHOUT a bag, you can forget trying to hide the weapon under a jacket smaller than a 3/4 length winter coat. With a 10 or 20rnd mag, my PLR can be covered by a VERY loose sport coat. I suppose you could put 3-5 mags in some kind of IWB pouches... the 2 pistol mags on a belt holder... and the pistol in your normal conceal... but you aren't going to be able to bend in the middle, loosen the jacket, or get past anyone who is on the lookout for someone behaving oddly.

I have lost 140lbs... one of the nice things about that is, I actually have a giant wool overcoat, that I can actually close over my fully loaded vest, leftover from my super fatguy days. I had a carbine class in January a few years ago and actually used it. But you're not going to fool anyone less than 25 yards away.

What you see in the movies, where people pull huge guns from under jackets, looks good, but for anything much bigger than a Mac/Cobray/Skorpion/etc smg, it's a near impossibility. This is just my experience, and I'm not a small guy. Maybe you can find a way, and make a mint.

It doesn't appear to have the option of adding plates. Looks like a decent soft armor package though.

It doesn't appear to have the option of adding plates. Looks like a decent soft armor package though.

There's a version in a couple magazines that I've seen that does have the plate option. When I'm home I'll try to find it online. Yes it would be great for around home or to have hung on the safe at night while asleep(get up, grab n go) and for SHTF I'd likely switch out to my .380 on it with the tac vest over. Thus multi use armor, instead of my armor only being in the vest/plate carrier.

Just a thought

Those vests are used when you have to carry a lot of loaded mags, water, armor, etc on foot, to get a job done. Nothing more. I use mine for classes. Some people use them to play dress-up. ( And for the nutnfancy project.. :haha: )

As for the question...

If you need to reload, you reach into the bag slung on your shoulder... the one you just unzipped and pulled the weapon out of. The violin case is a bit of a joke, but if you put a strap on the outside, and some elastic on the inside, you could do the same thing. Most laptop bags have really nice pockets that fit AR/AK mags perfectly.

If you think you are going to be "discreet" when loaded out like this WITHOUT a bag, you can forget trying to hide the weapon under a jacket smaller than a 3/4 length winter coat. With a 10 or 20rnd mag, my PLR can be covered by a VERY loose sport coat. I suppose you could put 3-5 mags in some kind of IWB pouches... the 2 pistol mags on a belt holder... and the pistol in your normal conceal... but you aren't going to be able to bend in the middle, loosen the jacket, or get past anyone who is on the lookout for someone behaving oddly.

I have lost 140lbs... one of the nice things about that is, I actually have a giant wool overcoat, that I can actually close over my fully loaded vest, leftover from my super fatguy days. I had a carbine class in January a few years ago and actually used it. But you're not going to fool anyone less than 25 yards away.

What you see in the movies, where people pull huge guns from under jackets, looks good, but for anything much bigger than a Mac/Cobray/Skorpion/etc smg, it's a near impossibility. This is just my experience, and I'm not a small guy. Maybe you can find a way, and make a mint.

Ha ha, no I didn't intend on carrying a rifle or any big weapons under a jacket, I could see where a bag slung tightly over a shoulder may work though. Of course then you have to worry about your gear flying out when on the move, that or zip and unzip every time you need something new.

Curious, how do you carry your spare mags for your Glock?

Kydex belt mounted mag holder.

Gracious.

Edited by superA

Does anybody know of such a thing? A vest or jacket that you can keep mags close and ready to use without walking around sticking out like a sore thumb. Something you could reach inside and get mags or gear from and also reverse it if/when it was needed.

Wouldn't it just be easier to move to a better neighborhood?:haha: Seriously, I can't imagine walking around with all that stuff poking me. A pistol and one extra mag is already a pain in the ass for me. If I need to have more firepower close at hand for some reason it seems easy enough to carry it in a nondescript bag. I'm so glad I could be of help. :D

• Like 1

Wouldn't it just be easier to move to a better neighborhood?:haha: Seriously, I can't imagine walking around with all that stuff poking me. A pistol and one extra mag is already a pain in the ass for me. If I need to have more firepower close at hand for some reason it seems easy enough to carry it in a nondescript bag. I'm so glad I could be of help. :D

Ha ha, nice. Actually I live in cow town America so to speak, not much to worry about here. I'm about as non-tactical as it get's but the idea occurred to me that I may want things close at hand that a normal inside pocket wouldn't support. Thanks for the help ass hole. lol

There's a version in a couple magazines that I've seen that does have the plate option. When I'm home I'll try to find it online. Yes it would be great for around home or to have hung on the safe at night while asleep(get up, grab n go) and for SHTF I'd likely switch out to my .380 on it with the tac vest over. Thus multi use armor, instead of my armor only being in the vest/plate carrier.

Just a thought

This is actually what I'm looking at getting. Maybe just the front panel then the back eventually.

http://www.maxarmory.com/index.php?p=product&id=3482&parent=4

MULTICAM! That was what was initially on the plate for the Army before somebody came up with the current AUC pattern which a select few thought was the shit so they procured it and issued it to everyone. You can see a guy in ACUs a mile away regardless of the terrain it is worn in. It just plain sucks ass, damn near glows in the dark. Now, after many years operating in Afghanistan, they have discovered through SOF experience that Multicam works and are now issuing it to Combat troops there.

Coyote colored gear works for both Woodland or Desert as well. It's what is currently issued to USMC for that reason. One set of gear for both uniform options.

The ACU has to be one of the worst combat uniform ever issues by the US Army. It makes the soldiers stand out in Iraq and in the Ohio area they also stand out. The Marines have a better idea where the marine desert uniform blends in and the woodland blends in better in wooded areas. The Multicam seems to be a good combination all around uniform and the sooner the ACU is phased out the better. The soldiers look like they are wearing pajamas not combat uniforms. Camouflage is supposed to hide the the soldier.

I noticed the other day that we are already starting to get alot of tan(dry foliage) about here lately. The Coyote would certainly blend better. OD really has just 2-3 months out here that it can be used by itself. May start switching out to Coyote(over my OD vest) as I upgrade pouches. It would seem to blend better and I really like my vest. Besides, Coyote is easier to pick up lately as either everyone is buying up the OD(at my local Surplus store) or it's just not being offered, Coyote and Black are the going colors at the local gunshows. I'd order online, but I like to get a "hands on" feel for what I'm buying first, and it saves me shipping sometimes, lol.

The ACU has to be one of the worst combat uniform ever issues by the US Army. It makes the soldiers stand out in Iraq and in the Ohio area they also stand out. The Marines have a better idea where the marine desert uniform blends in and the woodland blends in better in wooded areas. The Multicam seems to be a good combination all around uniform and the sooner the ACU is phased out the better. The soldiers look like they are wearing pajamas not combat uniforms. Camouflage is supposed to hide the the soldier.

I think some of the brass were in bed with whomever developed the Army Universal Camouflage pattern and designed the Army Combat Uniform. It's the only reason I can think of why they got them. Even the uniform design sucks, shitty fabric, velcro closures on pockets that don't stay closed, etc.

Originally, the USMC asked the other branches if they wanted to kick in some R&D money towards their current uniform so everyone could wear the same uniform. Of course the other branches said no and the USMC pressed on with their development and gave them all the big "Fuck You Too" by embossing the EGA in the pattern to make sure they couldn't wear it after the fact.

We used to do lots of night ops with the Ranger Battalion here. On a moonlit drop zone in the middle of the night, those guys were easily spotted without the aid of night vision. We wore Woodland BDUs and it was hard to spot us. I'm just glad Big Army decided to give those who need them, the Multicam uniforms needed for actual concealment in Afghanistan.

I sent you a PM for something that might interest you. I'm not sure if I can post the link on the forum because they aren't a business member here.