Gas Piston Failure

My friends Saiga 12 has a problem, the gas piston end has snapped off.

Replacement looks easy enough, but sourcing the part may be tricky.

Is this a common problem ? And what would have caused the failure ?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks guys for all the quick replies.

Well at least its a common problem, I will let him know its an easy fix.

Only problem is living in the UK, getting parts sent from the US is a no no, so it will have to be a Russian replacement part.

Only problem is living in the UK, getting parts sent from the US is a no no, so it will have to be a Russian replacement part.

Yep, unless any of us vendors has an extra million dollars to pay the ITAR fine for exporting military technology, I'd say you're right.

Try Rusmilitary.

Oleg has a pretty good knack for getting parts that nobody else can from Russia for us & from the US for you.

He's in Berkshire in the UK.

Pauly, I am the understanding that "Manufacturers" of firearms components must register with the State Department in any case, and pay the extra fee's on actually exporting items.

I have been looking at becoming a Type 7 FFL and getting a SOT 3, and the killer is that I have to register and pay the ITAR fees, and the research I have found is that if you manufacture items that go into any but the excluded types of weapons, you have to do the same.

I didn't understand the comment about why he couldn't buy USA till I say your comment, what a bufu'd country we live in.

My next question is WHY factory Gas pistons failing with such regularity? TWO failures on one Saiga, is there some issue with it that would cause the failure?