Saiga 12 jams after installing UTG quad rail.

Hi guys, I just installed a Saiga Tactical Saiga 12 Quad Rail System- model MNT-HGSG12 - made by UTG-Leapers. I does look awesome and definitely changes the aspect of the gun however, When I installed it I noticed the top rail is actually pinching down on the bottom part - seems it was designed for a gun where the gas chamber runs parallel with the barrel and not in an angle like our Saigas do... After installation, I tried to shoot the gun and found that the rail puts some pressure on the gas cylinder thus not allowing the piston to travel freely and eject the shot round. I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what the corrective action is?

I contacted UTG and in a very politely manner they hinted: Tough luck buddy - you bought it, we stand behind the product but will do nothing to fix the problem except that assume you are a goofball and you deserve what you got... Try to unscrew the screws and that will solve your issue... Kind of laim.

Any hints or solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I RECEIVED A LOT OF RESPONSES so thanks to everyone who took the time to comment... As I understand, the Chaos rail might fit my gun better than the UTG one. If anyone has a Chaos rail that does not fit his / her gun and wants to swap, I am game for it. I have both the extended and the original top rails and I could include both in the swap - just let me know....

Edited by zflyboy

A couple of washers under the front screws might help, so you can make a small gap. I took a dremel to my UTC on the MAK-90 with quite a bit of fitting and would expect the same on the Saiga.

+1

Yeah, the S-12 doesn't like having stuff clamped to the Gas tube.

Chaos doesn't clamp down on them, that's why people don't have issues with Cameron's quads.

Try thin washers & dremel-fu like kyvtx suggested

Welcome to the forum! :up:

Thanks for the idea... I would've expected for such a reputable company to come up with a product that works. And if it doesn't, at least try to work out the bugs but the attitude I got makes one wonder... After one pays in the hundreds for a small aluminum piece, you'd figure they would provide some washers that will still make this look professional - vs the good, ol' Home Depot stuff ( or some professionally made spacers).

A couple of washers under the front screws might help, so you can make a small gap. I took a dremel to my UTC on the MAK-90 with quite a bit of fitting and would expect the same on the Saiga.

I had the same issue as the OP with the UTG rail. FTE's no matter what I tried. Finally took it off and gun worked perfectly again. Finally got a Chaos. Voila! No more problems.

UTG Saiga 12 quad rail is just a bad design.

Easy to say, hard to do when you fork out couple of hundreds and a lot of heart into it...

If thee UTG quad rail offends thee Saiga 12, remove it. :angel:

I have had my share of frustrating products and ideas, trust me. Sometimes we have to take a tactical retreat and devise a plan to make it work, or start over and take a chance on something else. I have owned a UTG rail and used it on an AK. It worked fine on it, but the mounting system just doesn't work well with the Saiga 12.

If all you want to do is mount a light and a grip, then I recommend a $60 Russian Tactical handguard like this.... I love mine and the price was right ;)

post-22401-0-07705000-1314682022_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-81398100-1314682044_thumb.jpgpost-22401-0-18360500-1314682057_thumb.jpg

The UTG rail set-up is perfect...for use as a "piece of rail" supplier for lots of different gun uses. Mine ended up being spread around 2 Saiga 12's, 2 Saiga 7.62's, a Century WASR, an H&R Pardner, a Savage 30-06 (helping to mount a Leupold scope), and a couple of other guns I can't for the nonce remember.

A little cutting, filing, scraping, painting, drilling and whatnot, and you're good to go! I'd say I got my money's worth. While not for the use intended, it certainly served in other ways.

Thanks for the insight... Unfortunately , I live in CA and if I even think about getting what you have, the Liberals will lock me up. So far, my Saiga 12 is the only baby and really trying to make it stand apart... Thanks again.

The UTG rail set-up is perfect...for use as a "piece of rail" supplier for lots of different gun uses. Mine ended up being spread around 2 Saiga 12's, 2 Saiga 7.62's, a Century WASR, an H&R Pardner, a Savage 30-06 (helping to mount a Leupold scope), and a couple of other guns I can't for the nonce remember.

A little cutting, filing, scraping, painting, drilling and whatnot, and you're good to go! I'd say I got my money's worth. While not for the use intended, it certainly served in other ways.

With the wide tolerances that are inherit in these guns sometimes seemingly simple changes can have consequences.

Chaos rails sometimes cause issues by blocking the gas relief port on the side of the gas block. This is caused by canted gas blocks and is easily cured with a drill.

the UTG has a known problem with clamping down on the gas tube and causing issues. you'll have to relieve some of the metal or shim the rail somehow to relieve the pressure on the system.

who knows the issue on both might be from canted gas blocks.

most things on these guns often need some fitting to make them right. its how well you massage them that determines the quality of the product in the end.