saiga x39, long barrel, converted. Is it worth it

On my way home from the gun show o stopped at a local gun store to put some money on my layaway. While there I spotted a Saiga x39 long barrel converted with bipod and 1surplus mag for $250. The rifle is a 99 production and is stamped with EAA. It is NOT in excellent condition but looks like a great shooter that has had most of the work done already. $250

The break is welded on (I assume it was done prior to the 04 ban expiration). It was a home job weld but looks to be solid and correctly done if a bit ugly. Original handguard that wobbles a bit, dragonov type stock. The rifle does show wear and use but mostly on the finish. Overall it has the look of not quite a trunk gun but definitely not a occasional range gun.

Edited by Arik

For $250 I'd Buy it. Add some proper conversion parts if needed, clean and maybe paint if needed. IMO, it'd be a good investment even if for a trader or to sell for profit. I'd still probably off them $200 just to see if they would do it. But $250 seems fine to me.

A friend of mine got a converted .223 for $400 that needed a few parts replaced. Even after fixing it, it was still cheaper than buying a new rifle and converting it.

Im still debating. Been buying too many firearms lately. I already have a Garand, FAL, and a S&W 5946 on layaway and there is this nice CZ85 with night sights and an adjustable rear sight that I want....and...and..and...oh ammo too! :D

The $250 can pay off the S&W or the Garand and almost all of the FAL or it could get me some more 308 or 30-06 ammo.

Ahhhhh....I need to hit the lottery! :)