13yr old son wants a saiga .410

My 13yr old son has decided that he wants to get a Saiga .410.

Prices right now are as low as they are likely to get so I'm thinking we should get one. He already shoots my Saiga .223, and my wife's, so he's already familiar an proficient with the AK shooting system and likes it. He wants to leave the trigger alone so he can use it to hunt with in Illinois, (I may be wrong but I don't think hunting rifles can have pistol grips on them here.) and he also plans to get a spare pistol grip stock for possible a SHTF in the future. Seems to me the Padiwan has learned well, and has thought through a good flexible weapons platform.

I know spare mags are costly and ammo can be costly compared to other cailbers/gauges. Are there any other issues of concern I should have with this weapon system for my son?

My 13yr old son has decided that he wants to get a Saiga .410.

Prices right now are as low as they are likely to get so I'm thinking we should get one. He already shoots my Saiga .223, and my wife's, so he's already familiar an proficient with the AK shooting system and likes it. He wants to leave the trigger alone so he can use it to hunt with in Illinois, (I may be wrong but I don't think hunting rifles can have pistol grips on them here.) and he also plans to get a spare pistol grip stock for possible a SHTF in the future. Seems to me the Padiwan has learned well, and has thought through a good flexible weapons platform.

I know spare mags are costly and ammo can be costly compared to other cailbers/gauges. Are there any other issues of concern I should have with this weapon system for my son?

Ammo cost is the biggest issue -- even Rio brand for skeet is like $8 per 25 shells at best (no clue how well those work in a Saiga, either).

A couple things I've noticed and have an opinion on:

* the 410 is immensely improved with a front sight block, especially for skeet/trap.

* I'm not convinced that factory 410 magazines are functionally better than Surefire equivalents -- I've owned both, and I had to file the factory mags a bit to get a proper feed angle. The factory mags cost twice as much and look twice as nice, though.

Lastly, find a way to get some nice finished furniture on it, and enjoy!

Edited by Koljec

I know it would be more expensive for the gun, but why not just get him a Saiga 12? The ammo is much cheaper and he will probably want that someday anyways.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I was 12 or 13 when I got my first 12 gauge.

Thanks for the input guys.

I know ammo is the big killer. I tried to talk him into the twelve, but he's worried about the recoil. He's got a 20 ga pump now that he's not crazy about due to recoil. He's a really thin and tall kid so he's not got much meat on his bones yet. Pretty boney shoulders so I can understand his being recoil sensitive.

So how's the roil on the 12 ? I know semi auto should less than a pump.

My friends's daughter who is somewhere between 10-12 shot my S 12. Recoil isn't bad on the S12, he will outgrow the .410 way to quickly. You should just get him the S12, he may not realize it now, but you would be doing him a huge favor!

Look's like we'll end doing both. The .410 is ordered and on the way. The 12ga will be next as soon as I can get the funds. After all the input I figured to heck with it we'll just get both. Someday we'll have on of each of the Saigas at the rate we're going. 027.gif

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got one for my son to use a when he was 9. He loves to shoot it.

We even did a School science project with it.

P1070639.jpg

P1070638.jpg

P1070632.jpg

Now it has been converted with a Russian Polymer Side Folder.

If he has an interest then get him what he wants.

sKott

• Like 3

sKott-

Awesome shots of you and your son out shooting, and having fun. That's what it's all about.

For Christmas I got a conversion kit. I'm planning us doing the conversion together so he'll learn how the internals work, and to get some bonding time on the project. Back when we first got the 410 I asked him if he could do anything with it what would it be, and he said he wanted an old school fixed stock style for it, and drum mags, lots of drum mags. I'll get some photos up after we get it done. May be a little while before we work on it, but we'll get er done.

• Like 1