My UAG Tactical VFG w/Flashlight Mount Broke While Shooting My Saiga&#

Hey there,

While I was testing my recently converted Saiga 12 this weekend, the UAG Tactical VFG w/flashlight mount (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SCLK0U/ref=oh_o06_s00_i00_details) broke! I had been using the unit on my AR15 without issue, but after the 5 shot on my Saiga 12, the right side where the mount meets the rail sheered clean off! Think I just "got a bad one" or is this unit not recommended for use on a shotgun?

Admittedly, it was one of the cheaper units out there at $29.00. I've got a Mission First Tactical REACT Torch and Vertical Grip unit ordered which is $45.00.

I try to stick to implements that are proven, especially on a shotgun. I don't think that you got a bad grip. A shotgun will find a product's limits much sooner than an AR. I use a MAGPUL RVG and a Streamlight M3X on my 12. That's about as cheap as I feel comfortable going.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Was it dark out at the time? 'cause if it was, that sucks, and if it wasn't, you didn't need a flashlight on it.haha.gif

LOL! No...it wasn't dark. A lot of the training courses I take cover sweeping rooms indoors with a tactical rifle or shotgun, and a VFG with an integrated flashlight is a nice capability.

I guess I was hoping more folks would chime in with more recommendations and less "you get what you pay for."

UAG to me looks like airsoft quality products....looks like a waste of $29 you could have put toward something of better quality..... i dont skimp on my weapon accessory components or weapons, and this is another reason why....

Yep.

I've had cheap shit fail left and right. Just wasted money. I learned my lesson, and started buying quality gear. I had a Leupold Mark 4 scope fail. Instead of tossing it in the garbage, Leupold emailed me a shipping label, and a week and a half later I had new scope, along with a few Alumina filters in the box as an apology.

When you buy a cheap product and it has issues.. the company treats you like a sucker. When you buy big, you're treated like a VIP.

Anyone care to venture a guess why that would be?

UAG to me looks like airsoft quality products....looks like a waste of $29 you could have put toward something of better quality..... i dont skimp on my weapon accessory components or weapons, and this is another reason why....

Yep.

I've had cheap shit fail left and right. Just wasted money. I learned my lesson, and started buying quality gear. I had a Leupold Mark 4 scope fail. Instead of tossing it in the garbage, Leupold emailed me a shipping label, and a week and a half later I had new scope, along with a few Alumina filters in the box as an apology.

When you buy a cheap product and it has issues.. the company treats you like a sucker. When you buy big, you're treated like a VIP.

Anyone care to venture a guess why that would be?

They want more of that money later and some word of mouth testimony about their great CS. Happy consumers of high end products are like money in the bank. They just keep giving.... one way or another.

• Like 1

Hey there,

While I was testing my recently converted Saiga 12 this weekend, the UAG Tactical VFG w/flashlight mount (http://www.amazon.co...s00_i00_details) broke! I had been using the unit on my AR15 without issue, but after the 5 shot on my Saiga 12, the right side where the mount meets the rail sheered clean off! Think I just "got a bad one" or is this unit not recommended for use on a shotgun?

Admittedly, it was one of the cheaper units out there at $29.00. I've got a Mission First Tactical REACT Torch and Vertical Grip unit ordered which is $45.00.

so now you are $75 in.. and probably still left with something that will not withstand the recoil reliably.. if you want something you can count on... get something good from the beginning..

my S12 I went with kvar hand guard with arsenal rail and surefire light.. because it will work..

I guess I was hoping more folks would chime in with more recommendations and less "you get what you pay for."

Surefire, Streamlight?

What was the purpose of the light? I hope you were not trusting your life with a $29 flashlight.

Hey there,

While I was testing my recently converted Saiga 12 this weekend, the UAG Tactical VFG w/flashlight mount (http://www.amazon.co...s00_i00_details) broke! I had been using the unit on my AR15 without issue, but after the 5 shot on my Saiga 12, the right side where the mount meets the rail sheered clean off! Think I just "got a bad one" or is this unit not recommended for use on a shotgun?

so now you are $75 in.. and probably still left with something that will not withstand the recoil reliably.. if you want something you can count on... get something good from the beginning..

my S12 I went with kvar hand guard with arsenal rail and surefire light.. because it will work..

Honestly, price isn't the issue per se. You're set up is nice, but I'm looking for a VFG with an integrated mount which I can place a flashlight into. I don't want to have to take my hand off the grip to activate/deactivate the flashlight. I do a lot of flashlight testing, and prefer 4Sevens personally, and plan to put a Quark X 123 Tactical model in my VFG.

The replacement model I purchased has a lifetime guarantee. If there's a better product out there than the one I purchased, I'd like to know about it.

Surefire, Streamlight?

What was the purpose of the light? I hope you were not trusting your life with a $29 flashlight.

If you read my post, the flashlight isn't the issue (as I mentioned before I'm a 4Sevens guy). It's the VFG w/integrated flashlight mount that's the issue.

Hey there,

Honestly, price isn't the issue per se. You're set up is nice, but I'm looking for a VFG with an integrated mount which I can place a flashlight into. I don't want to have to take my hand off the grip to activate/deactivate the flashlight. I do a lot of flashlight testing, and prefer 4Sevens personally, and plan to put a Quark X 123 Tactical model in my VFG.

The replacement model I purchased has a lifetime guarantee. If there's a better product out there than the one I purchased, I'd like to know about it.

Surefire, Streamlight?

If you read my post, the flashlight isn't the issue (as I mentioned before I'm a 4Sevens guy). It's the VFG w/integrated flashlight mount that's the issue.

what purpose does a VFG even provide to you... with my setup my thumb rests directly on the switch of the flashlight and does not have to move even a centimeter to activate light.. also by minimizing the VFG I have less nonsense hanging off the front of my gun thus making it lighter and more streamlined...

I get it.. handles and all that are "cool".. been there done that.. but the reality is a light on a really light tight mount that allows you to just hold the hand guard is superior..smoother.. and lighter.. IMO of course..

as far as "4seven" flashlights... like whatever you like.. this is of course a free country.. but when I tell you I use Surefire.. it is not for no reason.. my guns and lights have seen countless amounts of abuse and continue to work.. so my recommendation is based off of just that.. what works..

you did not want a "you get what you pay of answer" then you were honestly better off not asking the question.. because the answer just about always is.. you get what you pay for...

also.. going the "cheaper" route NORMALLY ends up being more expensive anyway.. because in the end.. you realize that you just have to buy the right thing anyway... so now not only do you pay the high price for the "right" item.. but you have also paid for the "wrong" item ten times over..

if you want to use that light.. just get a solide mount like vltor or something and mount the light directly to the rail..

offset mount pointed down with any type of VFG should put your thumb right on the tail switch..

but hey.. that is just my experience..

Edited by vladtepes

Roger that. I'm not a big fan of those rigs you insert a light into. Why not find a good VFG, a dedicated light mount and activate it with a tape switch?

this is what i use on my saiga 12 [itacDefense] never failed me yet in practice, competition or just plain dumping a mag.

Edit: Please note you may mention products/companies of non-business members of the forum but it is contrary to forum guidelines to post actual LINKS. Thank you.

Edited by tritium
link to non-business member removed