OK, so.. as I mentioned in the main thread on the RS AKM, I am a big fan. No doubt about it.

There is ONE drawback to the mount, though, which I'd like to discuss; and I'm hoping some creative folks around here might offer some suggestions. Not a deal breaker for me at all, but it would be neat to solve this:

It is simply that there is no particularly good way to couple a 30mm magnifier.

I hadn't really thought of it until today, while out shooting. I went to take some longer shots and was having difficulty with just the red dot. I have a spare magnifier and FTS mount at home, and thought "Oh, I should mount that up later." and went back to shooting at 100 yds.

About 30 seconds later it dawned on me that there is no real way to do it.

So, I've been scouring the net looking for screw-in magnifiers for Aimpoint Comp sights. To my surprise, they don't seem to exist, though Aimpoints are threaded.

So, my question is.. first; does anyone know of a screw on or clamp on magnifier that would work with an Aimpoint Comp C3?

Second.. any other ideas?

Get a vortex strike force I beleive they have a 2x but i never use mine. Or one of those might fit your AP

Yeah, I thought about the Vortex. No way I'd abandon my C3's 5 years of battery life for a 2x doubler though.

Any chance you'd lend me your 2x to see if the threads are the same?

I think Horse is working on diversifying the types of optics his mounts will use, so it's possible that a magnifier option may come along later. It looks like the rear end of the mount has some space where it could go. It'd be neat to see a flip-open ring for a magnifier, but the increased weight could be a downside.

I'd love to hear more ideas guys - I am always looking to make things better.

Hi Horse,

Yeah one way I was thinking of that wouldn't require much in the way of a redesign of the existing mount would be to design a replacement for the top "C" shaped part of the ring. The replacement could have a pic rail with the teeth facing the optic that extends back. I doubt an FTS ring would work well like that, but a QD ring would be fine.

Alternatively, the same "C" part could be redesigned with a rail that goes back with an integral FTS ring. You'd probably want to make it flip 180 degrees, so when out of line the magnifier is all the way to the left as opposed to the normal 90 degree flip.

• 4 weeks later...

im waiting for you to make a side mount for an ACOG (or clone lol) that can possibly cowitness

i also have an aimpoint with this mount but i put it on my S12 and am still contemplating what to put on the 7.62

ETA: I also LOVE this mount and Horse is a great guy who backs his products 100%

Edited by dieb4iwake

Trijicon is basically only making carry handle ACOG's now. :(

But I still have the original prototype AKOG mount that makes it almost cowitness and uses the Special Ring Mount ACOG Compacts. I could put those into production if anyone had a quantity order.