Metal Euro 223 magazines

I bought 4 of the metal saiga 223 magazines that mississippi auto arms was selling 3 or 4 years ago. They are modified to feed in a saiga without a bullet guide. Who made these? Are they rare or desireable? I like them a lot but can't seem to find any more. If they are unobtainable I may just bite the bullet and go for a guide. Thanks!

One possible maker is surefire mags before they became SGM tactical.

The mags are likely East German weiger as they are one of the better fitting surplus mags. And one that I saw converted several times.

They run about $25-40 depending on a few things. They are not commonly available anymore, east Germany does not exist so they are not making many mags.

We have a few weiger mags set aside to recreate once we get a chance (second quarter of 2012 is possible).

Edit to add: The Weiger mags are like AK mags and need a bullet guide, Surefire gun mags filled the fronts in to create a bullet guide within the mag.

i would think you guys would be better off installing a bullet guide for 20-30$. the price of each mag will go up after a bullet guide is added and it would only take a couple of modded mags to cost more than the bullet guide would. bullet guides are very easy to install.

i would think you guys would be better off installing a bullet guide for 20-30$. the price of each mag will go up after a bullet guide is added and it would only take a couple of modded mags to cost more than the bullet guide would. bullet guides are very easy to install.

Just to be clear, I'm pretty sure most of us just want US made steel mags that use a standard end-user installed bullet guide.

• Like 1

The biggest problem I see is pricing... The Weigers are currently still available for $30/ea. I'm assuming they'd be priced in the same ballpark as your current magazines - 3 compliance parts is cool and all, but would it be an extra $10-20 cool?

I'm not complaining about your prices, mind you. I work in custom software, so I have to deal with people who think that a full-fledged, custom application shouldn't cost more than $3, since that's what an iPhone app 'costs'.

The stamping of the locking tabs on metal .223 Galil mags is a lot simpler than that on the Weiger and Romanian .223 mags. If you went with a hybrid approach - Weiger-style body, Galil-style tabs - I wonder how much of a cost savings that would provide.