I'm interested in casting lead as I think it will be fun and could possibly save me some money in the long run when reloading .45acp. Is this true? Is it worth it? Could someone link me to what equipment is needed for this? Also, what's the most economical way of getting lead? I've heard wheel weights are now mixed with Zinc and cannot be used for this purpose? Thoughts?

The lead from wheel weights is fine for casting except for black powder is my understanding; it’s too hard for the smokers. You can save money casting but there is an investment to get started. The lead, additives, and lube, tool/s to melt and handle the lead, bullet casting mold/s, and tool/s to size and lube the bullets.

I say it depends on how much you shoot.

200 or 300 a week, might look into reloading.

If you are shooting that much, do the math, find the least cost on new rounds.

Get a price per shot, then figure you cost for reloading.

I bet it is better to buy low price ammo.

I say it depends on how much you shoot.

200 or 300 a week, might look into reloading.

If you are shooting that much, do the math, find the least cost on new rounds.

Get a price per shot, then figure you cost for reloading.

I bet it is better to buy low price ammo.

We're actually comparing reloading with purchased bullets vs reloading with cast bullets. I think reloading w/ .45ACP is worth it for sure, even when comparing to cheapie russian ammo since I shoot a fair amount.

I was using wheel weights.....then I just didn't

want to spend the time scrounging for

lead and then smelting.

So I don't mind buying the lead

and skip that process all together.

About 3.00 a pound...7000 grains

A pound. You get 30 ea. 230grRN per

pound.

Reloading saves about 50%

Casting saves about 50% of that.

I reload and cast so that I can spend

my shooting dollars for primers and brass

And the experience gained is priceless.

The tools will pay for them selfez.

Even though you don't shoot them

having 5000ea.of all your favorite caliber

on hand is fun in it's own way. LOL

Look at it this way. ....reloading costs a little time and saves

a fair amount of money.....

Casting takes a little time and saves a fair amount of money. ......add it all up and you save a lot of money

That cost you a lot of time.

Wheel weights are good casting lead, you will get a zinc weight mixed in with the lead weights every now and again...they are usually marked "Zn". Zinc will ruin the cast-ability of your lead if you let it melt in your pot; fortunately zinc has a higher melting temp then lead, however, zinc's melting temp is still within the realm of most electric lead pots so if you cast hot you should watch for the zinc weights more closely. Otherwise if you do get one in there just scoop it out...zinc, steel and most other crap you don't want floats on molten lead which makes it easy to get rid of.

casting is fun, I cast for 45acp among other cals...once you get the hang of it you will get into a rhythm and you won't notice that the pile of bullets in front of you took several hours to make, lol.

You can do yourself a huge favor by getting a bottom poor lead pot for casting bullets, however the lead pots that you use with a ladle are better for recovering lead from dirty wheel weights because they don't have the valve mechanism to get in your way when you skim of the slag.