Anyone have an IZ-332?

So I just ordered my first Saiga, it's a IZ-332. It has the traditional AK style forend and has the a 24mm thread for easy installation of a muzzle brake. Does anyone have one of these, and if so how do you like it? I've already ordered a Tapco T-6, 2-30 round mags, side rail mount, and a '74 muzzle brake to enhance it a little. I paid $459 w/ free shipping, good deal?

post-38328-0-96710800-1323760555.jpg

post-38328-0-50875700-1323760557.jpg

I got the muzzle break from combathunting. It's for an AK74 (7.62x39), with the 24mm x 1.5 threads. I actually read that the Saiga's were more of a '74 design than a '47 design too.

heard about these and it makes me want one.

question, why does the pic on the left almost look like the threads are covered by a shroud, but the right looks nekkid?

There is a protective cover that's tack welded on from the factory, but the welds are easily removed with a Dremel, so I'm told.

Good for you man, You are starting out just like I did. I had the T6 before I even had the rifle.

Shoot it in the factory config, with the t6 on it for a while. You will like it, then when you convert it, it will knock your socks off. I think its a good idea to figure out how it shoots before you start putting new parts in it. Then you will know what to expect from your conversion parts, like how your carrier slides over your FCG. Also, if theres any rare factory defects, you will have a chance to get them fixed, where they wont touch it once you've done your conversion.

With that front end already done, great deal!!!!! Not having to buy an expensive retainer (if you dont want to pull your gas block), gas tube, KVar upper and lower HG, and sight block with retainer is an AWESOME DEAL FOR 480 (with ffl transfer). Now all thats left is the easy stuff.

• Like 1

Good for you man, You are starting out just like I did. I had the T6 before I even had the rifle.

Shoot it in the factory config, with the t6 on it for a while. You will like it, then when you convert it, it will knock your socks off. I think its a good idea to figure out how it shoots before you start putting new parts in it. Then you will know what to expect from your conversion parts, like how your carrier slides over your FCG. Also, if theres any rare factory defects, you will have a chance to get them fixed, where they wont touch it once you've done your conversion.

With that front end already done, great deal!!!!! Not having to buy an expensive retainer (if you dont want to pull your gas block), gas tube, KVar upper and lower HG, and sight block with retainer is an AWESOME DEAL FOR 480 (with ffl transfer). Now all thats left is the easy stuff.

Glad you mentioned trying it out first. I was so excited about getting it, I was gonna start putting stuff on it before I shot it. Thanks for the heads up.

Glad you mentioned trying it out first. I was so excited about getting it, I was gonna start putting stuff on it before I shot it. Thanks for the heads up.

Imo, its rather important, especially with a new saiga. Your chance of a factory mess up is very small and aks are easy to fix in most cases.

But I would shoot at least 50-100rds to make sure everything is right. Chances are it will be, but if something is off, you can at least know before your conversion. Also then, when you shoot it converted for the first time, you will see how much better the balance of the rife is from the factory neutered version.

• Like 1

Well I went out this evening and put 40 rounds through it without the slightest problem. Fired fast, smooth, and accurate. Came home and put the Tapco on it in less than 10 minutes. Now I love it more. I do have a problem though. I tried to mount the NCstar side rail that I got from eBa*, but the screws don't have anything to tighten on to. It slides on the left side with no problems, but it's like I'm missing a piece with the rail, or they sent me the wrong rail. Now I'm stumped.

Hard to take a pic, but basically where the screws are, there isn't any thing for them to tighten against. It's like there should be a lip from the gun that would go in over the screws, then you could tighten the screws down and it would work. Yet the screws do absolutely nothing. I'm pretty sure this isn't gonna work with my Saiga, even though the seller said it was for Saiga rifles.

post-38328-0-72445900-1323919081_thumb.jpg

Ok, dumb me figured it out. It didn't come with instructions so I found my answer on youtu** It made out of a heavy aluminum, so I didn't think that tightening the screws would flex the metal, but it did. I just tightened it up and the metal came together and snugged it up.

post-38328-0-64037700-1323921616_thumb.jpg

lookin good man! Im interested to know how well your mount and dot sight work out. Its for sure on the inexpensive end, so Im very curious.

That t6 is a good starter stock. When you do your conversion, you dont need to replace the buttstock, unless its too long for you. In that case contact tapco and they will send you a shorter tube for pretty cheap (15 bucks I think). It takes buying a whole new buttstock out of the equation for now.

This is mine right after the FCG conversion.

post-31894-0-79408100-1324009218_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boomsick42
  • Like 1

Good looking gun, where'd ya find the clear mag? I got my NCstar side rail mount on e*ay for $25 and free shipping. It's made as nice as I've seen any of the other ones. Very strong/heavy aluminum. Here's another pic of mine after I added the Bulgarian '74 muzzle brake last night.

post-38328-0-72248800-1324077297_thumb.jpg

The clear mag is just a saiga SGM clear mag. Its made for the factory saiga. Its not an ak mag. I had to sell it after I did my mag conversion, which sucked because I really liked it. I needed it at that point because my grip was foriegn made and I didnt have enough parts for 922r, so the three parts it gave me was a must.

Your gun looks as ak as it gets, without moving the trigger forward. That front end is nice, Im tellin you it was way worth the money.

Here mine after threading the barrel and doing the mag conversion, plus a hogue grip, euro steel ak mag and phantom flash hider. Still using the T6 stock (my purpose for the pic). I really liked that stock.

post-31894-0-86066300-1324098525_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Can you get a cheek weld on that T6 stock using that mount and red dot? Just slapped a T6 on mine and waiting for the low profile side mount to come in-----just bought a red dot. Just wondering if I might need to order the cheek risers for the stock.

Edited by woodyp

The cheek riser may be a good thought, the T6 was a bit low even for the irons. I zip tied a cut section of vacuum cleaner attatchment, covered with soft foam rubber to mine. It was way way more comfortable and made the stock nice to use.

Look at some ice scrapers for your car, find one with the nice padded handle, thats the material you want. Buy a couple cheap ones and you will get at least 1/2-1 inch of rise. If you put something round underneath, you can get even higher. I had to drill a little hole toward the front of the stock, for the second zip tie to go thru. I used mine like that for months and months, thru at least 1000rds, and it wasnt close to falling off.

I just have reservations about buying plastic, uncomfortable cheek risers. I can make one just as good.

I hear ya' Boom......

We're not exactly talking about the difference between a Volkswagon and a Caddy here on price between what a "decent" soft, durable cheek piece would cost vs. a piece of hardass snap on plastic. I've always been willing to pay a little more for something that was made right in the first place.

The clear mag is just a saiga SGM clear mag. Its made for the factory saiga. Its not an ak mag. I had to sell it after I did my mag conversion, which sucked because I really liked it. I needed it at that point because my grip was foriegn made and I didnt have enough parts for 922r, so the three parts it gave me was a must.

Your gun looks as ak as it gets, without moving the trigger forward. That front end is nice, Im tellin you it was way worth the money.

Here mine after threading the barrel and doing the mag conversion, plus a hogue grip, euro steel ak mag and phantom flash hider. Still using the T6 stock (my purpose for the pic). I really liked that stock.

I like the looks of that grip better than mine. Did you move your trigger forward, it looks more forward than mine. I like it.

just for clarification, the ak74 is NOT 7.62, the brakes that you can shoot both through are 8-9mm. the ak74, ak74M and any other ak74 style brake is NOT open enough for 7.62. you will get baffle strikes and it will not be accurate.

Listen to beefcakeb0.....I put on a 74 brake on a 762, and the bullet was hitting the bottom of the brake. The ricochet off the bottom caused the bullet to hit high, and I mean very high. Removed the brake and re-drilled it and was back shooting how it was supposed to.

Thanks for the concern, but the '74 brake on mine is for 7.62x39. The IZ332 already has the 24mm thread, so it was perfect. I got it here @combat hunting, http://www.combathunting.com/AK47_AK74_MAC_MAADI-AK_74_Muzzle_Brake_24mm_Threads.html I also read that the 332 was more of a '74 variant than a '47. Can't remember where I read it, and I can't tell you what the difference is, but I love it.

Thanks for the concern, but the '74 brake on mine is for 7.62x39. The IZ332 already has the 24mm thread, so it was perfect. I got it here @combat hunting, http://www.combathun...mm_Threads.html I also read that the 332 was more of a '74 variant than a '47. Can't remember where I read it, and I can't tell you what the difference is, but I love it.

I used the combat hunting break on a build, and it worked well. Good buy for the money!

Good looking gun, where'd ya find the clear mag? I got my NCstar side rail mount on e*ay for $25 and free shipping. It's made as nice as I've seen any of the other ones. Very strong/heavy aluminum. Here's another pic of mine after I added the Bulgarian '74 muzzle brake last night.

For clear standard ak mags do a search for: "Clear Smoke Mag New Bulgarian"

For clear standard ak mags do a search for: "Clear Smoke Mag New Bulgarian"

Only if you have your bullet guide installed. That mag is Saiga specific, made by SGM. Its not a standard ak mag, as at that point in my build, I didnt have my bullet guide in yet.

I think carolinashooterssupply has them.(they dont) But they are wicked expensive, you could buy the bullet guide kit, and an ak mag or two for the 40dollars plus shipping that SGM mag costs. I got mine for 20bucks on gunbroker, I was lucky.

Edited by Boomsick42