cleaning rod WITHOUT pressing off fsb or gas block?

Here is what I'm considering trying.

If your handguard isn't drilled for the rod, drill it, or get one that is drilled. Then drill a hole in the bottom of the trunnion and tap it for the threads of the cleaning rod, or if that scares you, just install a cleaning rod retainer nut in the handguard, like what is on a Mosin rifle. Then just screw the rod into the threaded hole, just like on a Mosin. No clamp really needed on the FSB or gas block.

Edited by leadchucker
  • Like 1

Get one of the German G3 cleaning kits in the green box. They have a pull chain in the kit, and it is 7.62. Even though O have a cleaning rod on mine (Bolt on retainer and 24mm FSB) I keep one in the side pouch of my Chinese chert rig. Easier to use than a cleaning rod. Get them on Ebay for $5-10. The bigger brush is great for the gas tube.

Edited by imarangemaster

Get one of the German G3 cleaning kits in the green box. They have a pull chain in the kit, and it is 7.62. Even though O have a cleaning rod on mine (Bolt on retainer and 24mm FSB) I keep one in the side pouch of my Chinese chert rig. Easier to use than a cleaning rod. Get them on Ebay for $5-10. The bigger brush is great for the gas tube.

I'd personally never use the factory cleaning rods on my gun. However, I would love to get one up there for aesthetics. my guess is that is what the OP was thinking, too.

Not to thread jack but thanks, Just picked one up. Cool little thing.