Peep sights for Saiga AK?

I am new to the Saiga line-up but am pumped to jump in heads first with this new 7.62. First things first are the sights, I have astigmatism so having peep sights helps my focus and greatly improves my accuracy with long guns. I have checked around, but figured I would ask you guys for opinions or websites that offer alternative iron sights for the Saiga...?

I also plan to swap out the stock furniture for a Birch wood monte carlo stock and forearm, while I research how I want to complete the conversion. Any suggestions would be welcome, but really just wanted to introduce myself and start gathering info...

I have heard of the krebs sights but not mojo or tech. I will check these out today and will be purchasing at least one of these options tomorrow. I'm pretty sure i've seen pictures of the Texas weapons system peep sights but prefer the factory mount for the iron's. Thanks for all the advice I will be sure to post my choice, and review as soon as it's installed.

I tried Mojo peepsight that go in the place of the rearsight slot, I didn't like them much. Too far away from the eye. Doesn't mean you won't though. Krebs makes a dust cover rail that as an integrated peepsight that's on the dust cover. No sight radius issues. I'd get that if wasn't $$$$. Myself, I found optics to be the best solution to AK iron sights.

I've been thinking of tapping the base of this and screwing it to the dust cover.

pix446151245.jpg

http://www.williamsgunsight. com/gunsights/wgrs.htm

The model about 1/3 down has a curved base that appears to be pretty close to a fit already. Sadly it is fiber optic, not tritium.

63304 WGRS-ENCORE For T/C Encore and T/C Omega

link is deliberately non-working. you will have to paste it in to your URL bar, removing the space before "com...".

Edited by GunFun

If you're looking for a true peep, go Tech sights. The krebs/mojo rear sight is essentially an aperture sight placed much farther up than a regular peep sight configuration. the tech sights start at the rear of the dust cover and provide you with that farther sight radius.

I see that the Tech sights come with a replacement dust cover to accommodate the new setup....does anyone have experience with the quality of the new dust cover?

I worry about the dust cover mounted sights because of their tendency to move while being fired....But i would prefer having a longer sights radius than the krebbs or mojo peep sights provide

Depends on what you want to do.Have used a lot of aperture sights on a x39 Saiga.

The Krebs functions just fine mounted as it is, the aperture is just larger to give your eye the same apparent aperture as it would if closer. Good sight and keeps the range adjustment. They make good stuff.

The Mojo I would only use if I wanted the windage adjustment to make up for a canted FSB. Its ok, not as solid as the Krebs. I do like their Mauser/Mosin sights though.

The Tech-Sight as well as all rear mounted Aperture sights like Texas Weapon Systems gives a very long sight radius and the highest accuracy at the expense of some interference with disassembly, minor point really, and a bit slower target acquisition speed, also minor.

For the x39 I like the Krebs, for the longer barreled S308 the rear mounted systems.

There is a very long thread named Iron Sights IIRC either here or on the 308 forum. Lot of info there.

Edited by Rhodes1968
  • Like 1