Zavasta Serbian AK

Was wondering if anyone has any info on the Zastava rifles.

I cant seem to find any feedback about them anywhere.

It looks like a really nice rifle for the under-$400 price tag.

Anyone had any experience with these?

EDIT: Beside the wrong spelling in the title I had it all wrong when searching...

no wonder I couldnt find anything. grimace.gif

Buuuuut... anyways, would still like some feedback since the post is already up...

My buddy is lookin to buy one so we are wondering the ups and downs of these.

Edited by e30eternal

Confirmed. I got to handle one of these at my local Cabela's. These things are an AMAZING buy, if someone isn't already buying these, widening the magazine wells and reselling them like they do with the WASR-10s, they need to get the hell on it! I'm not sure if they take the same magazines the single-stack Romanian and Bulgarian rifles do. Frankly, who cares? I'm not going to buy one to keep it a single-stack rifle.

On a related note:

Dear Serbians,

Please begin manufacturing single-stack M92 rifles with the underfolding stocks spot welded in the open position, and a long muzzle device spot welded in place, or double-stack pistols with the stocks welded in the folded position. This will make lots of money for your country and make many Americans very happy.

Sincerely,

-Me

• Like 2

That'd be hyper-slick! I bet it'd be more likely if Zastava would stop making PAPs with that ridiculous slant-cut receiver and narrow trunnion. Any fool with a Dremel cutoff disc can open a receiver (this fool did), but the trunnion is probably beyond the reach of a ham-fisted tinkerer like me and really needs a milling machine.

i see i see.

the only hold-back i foresee is altering the receiver for mags will mess with 922r...

so is this rifle compatible with ak parts or are their other parts just as wierd?

i assume they take regular ak parts for the most part, no pun intended, with a little altering on some...

Any new PAP owners need to fill me in. I've heard that Zastava finally started chroming their barrels within the last year or two. Any truth to this? I probably won't ever buy a PAP, but it's amazed me that they've gone so long with bare steel barrels.

The Zastava PAP rifles I've looked at had no side mount bracket for a scope. I was told you'd either have to add one, or add a mount to the top receiver cover, which I see as a problem in holding zero on a scope / red dot sight, if you want one. Also, from what I saw, the trigger was already moved forward, which is good.

The rifle I handled did not have a chrome-lined bore.

Forgot to mention, there was also something goofy about how the dust cover was retained. I don't remember exactly what, I think there was a release button or something that had to be pressed and I think it was mounted in a slot in the side of the receiver. I remember thinking it was odd, then moving along.

• 4 weeks later...

On the PAP the dust cover sight will probably be much more stable than a typical AK variant, because of the manner in which the dust cover is held in place by a mechanism in the rear trunion that locks down the rear of the dust cover and which has to be engaged to enable the dust cover to be removed. I don't own a PAP, however I consider it a very quality built AK variant. On the market these days, the VEPR would be the next standard AK variant that would be as robust, as the builds are similar - the VEPR receiver is is an RPK type receiver and the VEPR barrels are chrome lined and of varying lengths, and calibers. Would get one of the PAP variants without hesitation if I were able.