Saiga Jam-o-Matic

Ok... So I have been shooting my Saiga .223 for quite a while now...

all along its been shooting just fine within its design parameters...

The other day, however, at the range... I dont think I ran ONE MAGAZINE of ten rounds thru it without getting a jam in EACH ONE at some point... might be the third round, or the ninth round...any one in between... I would get a jam, with the shell not fed right, and cocked all crooked into the chamber area...

The receiver is converted, but as mentioned, has been functioning flawless for almost a year now... the magazine is the one that came with it when I bought it...

Here's MY THOUGHTS...

Wolf 55 grain HP ammo was the culprit. I didnt have ANY OTHER AMMO on hand to test to see if there was any change...

Perhaps the lip of the HP round was catching on the tip edge of the chamber causing it to stick and therefore jam???

I have that problem with my Savage .204 ruger, that I CANNOT USE Winchester 37 grain hollowpoints as the flat lip snags up the chamber...

I have always used FMJ in the past... so thats my ONLY thought on the JAM issue...

ANY thoughts from you gents out there??? comments? questions???

:smoke:

ANY thoughts from you gents out there??? comments? questions???

The HP is the probable culpret if you had not used such before.

The AK, standard milspec AK, is NOT designed or intended to feed the HP -it is no surprise the "converted" Saigas does not as the bullet guide only really addresses feed of a FMJ.

The "fix" is a improvement common with semi's...

Use a dremel to cut a 45 degree "chamfer" at the bottom of the chamber mouth...

from about 8:00 to 4:00, increasing a wide taper to approx. 2-3mm max. width at the bottom (6:00). And polish it.

End of problem.

Lollygagger :unsure: (I've done this more than a few times)

P.S -Here's a SKS that I did a similar chamber job done on (a little wider than I indicated above)...

26095SKS_chamber.JPG

Edited by lollygagger

Just wanted to point out that there is NO BULLET GUIDE in this particular rifle, either.. only conversion I meant was to PG setup...it uses just the original magazine..

Thanks LollyG... I figured about as much myself... the HP is catching the lip...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was going to say its the height of the mag feeding the wrong angle. I have a bone stock/orginal saiga in .223 and i just ordered 2k of .223 wolf HP by mistake so we will see soon WTF is wrong with it. I do have some FMJ in barnaul and wolf too so we will soon see. I'm using the orginal mag too. I hope i have no problems its my very first gun in .223 and i was never interested in one of those high priced black rifles. I'm so dam frugal(F'n Cheap) I just can't bring myself to spend that much cash on one gun. But the Saiga for under $300 w/extra mag I jumped on the oppertunity. I was never even interested in the .223 round too but it may grow on me like the 7,62x39 first did too I guess. I was always a big bore guy and the little .22 sized bore is so tiny but i have plenty of new 22 brushes. The dam saiga's are my first new rifles since '94 it was hard getting my cash out thru the many moths. Kidding but the saiga's are my very first "AK" style rifle and i'm impressed and i have a lot of catching up to do.

I hear ya man. I used to only shoot 7.62 and above as far as high powered rifles go. Never could understand what people liked so much about those wussy ass little bullets and the high and mighty overpriced guns that shoot them. Then I got my Saiga .223 and I'm a convert! You will love it, that thing kicks ass. Easy to shoot and pretty damned accurate. Poor man's AR without the issues. I hate to admit it but I'm even considering trading off one of my converted S-12s for an AR just to see for myself what all the fuss is about. :eek:

OOps I almost forgot, Indy did you ever have any more jams with different ammo? Mine has been 100% reliable with Wolf fmj and that cheap PMP stuff using my converted Bulgie waffle mags and feed ramp. I also still use my original 10 round mag and it's flawless too.

Edited by Cobra 76 two

I still think it should feed the HP's unless the feed ramp angle is off. My '06 bolt action would jam on the right hand feed it would hit the top of the receiver and i adjusted the feed ramp on the right side down on the front half and it sovled the problem. Something needs to be adjusted so it will feed HP's flawlessly. The bullet should enter in the exact center of the chamber so the type of point shouldn't matter. If its relying on the point to guide it thats extra wear on the chamber wall in that one spot so something is wrong. Eventually the chrome lining will wear thru it may take many rounds to do it but it will happen sooner or later then you will have chamber problems down the road too if its hard rubbing that one spot to guide the bullet. I'll check mine out tonight on the bench by hand slowly running the slide watching while they feed. The closer to the centerline of the chamber the bullet is when it enters the chamber the better. It could lead to having headspace problems too down the road if its not right now. These are sporting rifles and should be able to shoot Hollow Point's or Soft Point's besides FMJ's too.

trading off one of my converted S-12s for an AR just to see for myself what all the fuss is about

Oh man, dont do it, its a friggin disease. I can't afford to feed the hobby as it is with Saigas alone, much less when It involves 2 platforms to build or modify. :)

The 223 doesnt do everything, but it definitely has its place.