So did anyone else watch this show? Some of the preparations and points raised were interesting, at least. I did like the "conclusions" from the "experts" at the end of each section, and the follow-up with the subjects after that.

I did not know about the trick of using a handwarmer in a sealed bag to eliminate bacteria. I also know nothing about canning or a couple of the other things they showed.

I did get a chuckle out of the guy who was making all those preparations for an EMP event, but has an electronic sight on his M1A! wink.png Too bad about his health being so poor, he had some good ideas otherwise.

It would be interesting to know who those "experts" were and where they got their information...?

Hello, Ronin38

I thought they portrayed thr individuals in a pretty fair light, until their "experts" (their description) analyzed both the preppers preparedness and their motivation. That's when they took the opportunity to "marginalize" the preppers ("Most experts agree there is less than a 3% chance that an economic meltdown could ever happen here...")

At which point the preppers look like loonies for even imagining that there's a rational reason for being prepared in the first place.

I was waiting for a well-prepared prepper to offer up a reason like "I expect social upheaval when the leeches, slugs, and thugs are purged from America's ranks, probably instgated by them when their benefactors are defeated in the upcoming elections" and see what the reaction might have been.

Maybe that episode will be next week.....

-guido

"God Loves Liberty"

The Nat Geo experts say the margins for each preppers reasons are small. You can't prep for just one reason. There

So did anyone else watch this show? Some of the preparations and points raised were interesting, at least. I did like the "conclusions" from the "experts" at the end of each section, and the follow-up with the subjects after that.

I did not know about the trick of using a handwarmer in a sealed bag to eliminate bacteria. I also know nothing about canning or a couple of the other things they showed.

I did get a chuckle out of the guy who was making all those preparations for an EMP event, but has an electronic sight on his M1A! wink.png Too bad about his health being so poor, he had some good ideas otherwise.

It would be interesting to know who those "experts" were and where they got their information...?

Hello, Ronin38

I thought they portrayed thr individuals in a pretty fair light, until their "experts" (their description) analyzed both the preppers preparedness and their motivation. That's when they took the opportunity to "marginalize" the preppers ("Most experts agree there is less than a 3% chance that an economic meltdown could ever happen here...")

At which point the preppers look like loonies for even imagining that there's a rational reason for being prepared in the first place.

I was waiting for a well-prepared prepper to offer up a reason like "I expect social upheaval when the leeches, slugs, and thugs are purged from America's ranks, probably instgated by them when their benefactors are defeated in the upcoming elections" and see what the reaction might have been.

Maybe that episode will be next week.....

-guido

"God Loves Liberty"

I agree that the Nat Geo experts put them in a bad light when they pooped each preppers reasons. If you look at all of the reasons Nat Geo used they add up, and the possiblity of SHTF increases to the point that it actually makes sense to have a plan.

SHTF. . .It could be regional or could be global, but if you're cut off from society you'd be safer to assume it's more wide spread.

I'm a member of a couple of specialized rescue teams that I volunteered for in the military. By the time they get us mobilized you'll have been waiting for a minimum of three days before we have boots on the ground.

24 hrs to report for duty, another 24 hrs for loading cargo and the team, 24 hrs for us to set up the forward operating equipment. Then we can hopefully start to help those that need it, and that will be limited. My team is only 15 strong.

I keep telling myself. . .Just because I prep doesn't mean that they aren't out to get me.

I checked the show out today (on demand)

It was interesting. I think that some of the self sufficiency would be right up my ally when i finally buy a house. If not for doomsday, for keeping down power/water bills at least.

why do they have to have a doomsday reason to stock up? even the CDC recommends having extra supplies just in case.

I don't have to plan for a nucular holocaust to keep supplies in my truck, it could be as simple as what if i break down crossing the mountain pass?

having supplies doesn't make you crazy. not having them can make you stupid

[/rant] ok got a little carried away there, it was a good show.

Edited by Salt
  • Like 4

I'm waiting to see the guy who preps because "I have all this food and fuel in the event that I lose my job and still want to have the ability to support my family".....Doesn't anyone else plan like this? I remember when I was younger and times were actually really good economically and finding out that my Grandpa and Grandma were preppers (both lived through the great depression as young adults) by walking in to a room full of food and water in there basement. TP, wood, propane, gas, hand tools, etc.....in short my Grandpa was prepared for anything. As a WWII/Korean war vet he used to tell me "other country's used to fear stepping foot on US soil, partially because of our military but largerly in part because the civilians wouldn't lay down and surrender even if the military was defeated".

His choice of weaponry?

A 1911 and a Garand- although out dated today in comparison to modern weapons I saw that man do astounding things with that rifle.

• Like 3

I'm waiting to see the guy who preps because "I have all this food and fuel in the event that I lose my job and still want to have the ability to support my family".....Doesn't anyone else plan like this? I remember when I was younger and times were actually really good economically and finding out that my Grandpa and Grandma were preppers (both lived through the great depression as young adults) by walking in to a room full of food and water in there basement. TP, wood, propane, gas, hand tools, etc.....in short my Grandpa was prepared for anything. As a WWII/Korean war vet he used to tell me "other country's used to fear stepping foot on US soil, partially because of our military but largerly in part because the civilians wouldn't lay down and surrender even if the military was defeated".

His choice of weaponry?

A 1911 and a Garand- although out dated today in comparison to modern weapons I saw that man do astounding things with that rifle.

One of the many reasons I prep.